Swa hawaii update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fr8- I'm not defensive
I wouldn't want to be any taller in our seats and miss first class just for that reason-
But I've never understood that argument.
When an airplane has first class seats, the vast majority of seats are still coach with less pitch than what we have.
So most customer experiences are worse than ours on any long haul flight. Especially united. If this were a Singapore pilot levying these critiques it'd be one thing. Dude flies for the worst airline in the US for the last decade. Having a dozen or two people living it up in lay flat beds and free drinks doesn't make up for 200 in the back with less room than SWA , plus an overall sh/tty experience had by all off the plane.

No argument. My initial post was maybe slightly off target as I was responding to Howard. I believe high dollar business travelers want first class and amenities. Slaquer5 seems to think hot pants will suffice. I don't think so. Not for 5+ hour flights.

I think you will do well in the Caribbean and Central America. Lots of leisure travel and people visiting relatives.

You are going to have to change your product if you want to compete successfully in the far int'l. At least if you want to attract business travel. That's all I'm saying.

Flopgut you really crack me up!

You should really pay more attention to what is going on in your own backyard. Perhaps your $1000 would be better spent developing a contingency plan to keep high value international passengers choosing IAH as opposed to Hobby in the next couple of years.

Of course I do. How's your first/business class seating for those flights south?

Don't get me wrong. I hope you guys do well in your int'l endeavors. I just don't think you'll be hauling a lot of high-end business travelers.
I said "high value" not "high-end". I was speaking of the value of the revenue produced from international travelers. They are indeed very valuable to the United profit margin.

We probably won't have a huge impact on "high-end" travelers which I would identify as frequent travelers mostly for business purposes where they themselves aren't footing the bill for the travel. Those travelers are used to either having a first class ticket purchased for them or spending frequent flier miles to upgrade. They are tied to one airline because that is where they have amassed many miles affording them "elite" status and all the benefits that spending thousands upon thousands of dollars with one airline will procure.

That being said, we will have an effect on all the rest of the travelers, which is certainly the majority in my opinion. Many, many folks travel for leisure or to visit family or even on a more limited basis for business. Many passengers, including business travelers are extremely cost conscious and will ultimately search out the best price and the most convenient airport. In many cases that option will be Southwest Airlines departing out of Hobby. That is the exact reason United battled tooth and nail to prevent SWA from flying internationally out of HOU. It had zero to do with what was in the best interest of the Houston community and was wholly aimed at the stopping the hemorrhage of high value international passengers to Southwest.

I said "high value" not "high-end". I was speaking of the value of the revenue produced from international travelers. They are indeed very valuable to the United profit margin.

We probably won't have a huge impact on "high-end" travelers which I would identify as frequent travelers mostly for business purposes where they themselves aren't footing the bill for the travel. Those travelers are used to either having a first class ticket purchased for them or spending frequent flier miles to upgrade. They are tied to one airline because that is where they have amassed many miles affording them "elite" status and all the benefits that spending thousands upon thousands of dollars with one airline will procure.

That being said, we will have an effect on all the rest of the travelers, which is certainly the majority in my opinion. Many, many folks travel for leisure or to visit family or even on a more limited basis for business. Many passengers, including business travelers are extremely cost conscious and will ultimately search out the best price and the most convenient airport. In many cases that option will be Southwest Airlines departing out of Hobby. That is the exact reason United battled tooth and nail to prevent SWA from flying internationally out of HOU. It had zero to do with what was in the best interest of the Houston community and was wholly aimed at the stopping the hemorrhage of high value international passengers to Southwest.

Hi value. Yes you are right.

Where are you guys serving the intl arena right now? Not including the stuff AT is still flying.

Fr8
I don't see us changing until we expand beyond the reach of a 737-

Get bigger planes....I wouldn't be averse to some first class product- but that's a long way away no matter

Fr8
I don't see us changing until we expand beyond the reach of a 737-

Get bigger planes....I wouldn't be averse to some first class product- but that's a long way away no matter

About 4.5 years or less if I recall correctly. :D

Will you be selling HA's A330s to DL?

Last edited:
Hi value. Yes you are right.

Where are you guys serving the intl arena right now? Not including the stuff AT is still flying.

SWA operates to: Cabo San Lucas and Cancun, Mexico; Nassau, the Bahamas; Aruba; and Montego Bay, Jamaica. The last two AirTran destinations Mexico City and Punta Cana will come to SWA November 2nd.

In all sincerity, I'm sorry to hear that. Don't know what else to say.

8 years as an FO making $160k on a a good schedule since day 1 and you feel sorry?

Feel bad for the places where one has to upgrade to get ahead

Clean deal!?

No, it's not really like that completely. I want the process to be a clean deal. That's all. I think ALPA needs to restate that membership is important, and not try to cut a deal with SWA/GK. Secondly I'd want my fellow ALPA guys to know that if you're not taking the first offer out of GK, then don't plan on doing anything but arbitration. (Do not take the 2nd offer!) That's pbly going to inflate GK's first offer.

Hawaii and the Pacific is complicated, on a lot of levels. The people are not going to like being made to feel they lost their airline. They still miss Aloha. I don't think SWA could buy Hawaiian and be well received. I think UAL/CAL might be able to. *might*

5% is an ok assessment for a regional or any pilot.

You mean like AWA/USAir?

Yeah, that went well!

:puke:

Wave,
QOL supersedes anything else, you gate to choose what days you fly,where you want to fly and who with (do not fly list), beats being on reserve or working weekends and travelling thru 3 time zones

Latest resources

Back