SWA f/o arrested for intoxication

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AlbieF15 said:
Have sex with flight attendants on the road. Drink at home.

(That coming from a guy who flies boxes, so take it with a grain of salt...)

Not sure what FAs you are checking out when you airline Albie but the FAs of yesteryear are exactly that..... :)

A350 said:
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I don't really care......

First an foremost, I wish this guy and his family all the best for his recovery. However, I cannot and will not defend a guy that shows up for work in the condition he was. Perhaps someone with an alcohol problem works just peachy when he is .039, but I sure as hell don't want him flying my family around. The three beers on an overnight of 14 hours is something I have done many a time. But the vodka is what did this guy in. It is not possible to blow more than a .02 12 hours after 3 beers.

Secondly, and this is where we are all missing the point. If I understand the timeline of what happened and when, if he blew a .039 an hour after he was removed from the plane, under normal circumstances he was .049 when he was sitting in the seat. That is OVER the limit.

As I sit here and read these posts, I can certainly understand the circling of the wagons around a fellow pilot who got shelled by the TSA. But this profession has taken some serious hits in the past few years by guys doing stupid crap that takes years to get out of the publics system. I still get comments about the poor NWA souls that were caught up at Fargo and allowed to fly to MSP.

I agree with a previous poster, forgive me I don't remember who, who said we all need to look out for each other and not allow this crap to continue.

Soapbox away.

A350

A350....

Why don't you tell people who comment about Lyle Prouse, what he did afterwards... That guy has more integrity respect than most. I admire the guy.

While the other two guys are rotting in jail, Lyle finished his career in the left seat of a 747. Tell the full story and you'll shut down the commentators...

Last edited:
I haven't participated in these forums much lately, but as one of my own seems to be on trial in court, the media, and flightinfo, I feel I need to respond to the one medium I can.

First of all, of course everyone is circling the wagons. After years and years of shoddy treatment from the media, government, and airline managements, WE are the only thing WE have left.

To the many of you who are expousing .02, .04, .10 BAC and 12 hours bottle-to-show/push etc.... If you don't know the FAR's and SWA company policy, stay out of the discussion. What this comes down to is FAR's and company policy with regard to the guy's future at SWA. Nevada state law, or Salt Lake City ordinances don't mean squat except to the prosecuters. The bottom line is that IF the .039 is true, he neither violated FAR or company policy. I'm not going to go into company policy, but the bottom line is that he WILL get some counseling. With regard to FAR's, well, if you don't know .04 get out of the game.

350, and SWA/FO... I know that you are both up in arms about blowing .039 AFTER time had passed... but the reality is that the FAR's are based on a measurable testing procedure with KNOWN factors that affect the test's very outcome. OF COURSE you can't get breathalized the MINUTE you go on duty or push back from the gate. There HAS to be a set of numbers/minumums/maximums and 8 hours and a .04 BAC test are those units of measure. Frankly, the FAA is telling us that you're free to go on an all night bender as long as you are below .04 at the time of testing. The comments about the body's ability to metabolize alcohol very telling with that regard. I personally think it should be .00, but that's not for me to decide. Write your congressman.

TWAdude was spot-on with his comment about this is no reason for celebration. I am RELIEVED that he'll likely get to keep his career, but I'm also angered that one of our own seemingly didn't exercise better judgement.

As for the tests, company policies, and regulations... they are what they are. Are we going to argue for MORE testing and MORE stringent regulation?

Lyle Prouse? That guy ought to be shot. He was the captain and got his job back by stating he was an alchoholic. Yeah, no kidding... He certainly deserved the treatment the FO and SO got...

This guy is going to fry. He was definitely over .04 when he showed to work. My guess is that he will get convicted and never fly again....

Man, Southwest sure is getting bad press lately....

Last edited:
furloughed dude said:
Lyle Prouse? That guy ought to be shot. He was the captain and got his job back by stating he was an alchoholic. Yeah, no kidding... He certainly deserved the treatment the FO and SO got...

This guy is going to fry. He was definitely over .04 when he showed to work. My guess is that he will get convicted and never fly again....

Man, Southwest sure is getting bad press lately....

Good thing you're a pilot and not a lawyer. He blew a 0.039. Legal limit is 0.04. He was legal. Doesn't matter when his show time was, he was legal when he blew. He should get off scott free (as far as FAA enforcement is concerned), and the SWA PR department might want to code red him with a few pillow cases and bars of soap, but he will continue to fly for SWA and will be vindicated. Have a nice day.

...don't know if this really works or not, but usually down a few glasses of water after I call it quits. I think it helps flush things out and hydrate.

BUT, I'm not one to really put em down anyway...most of my FAs give me a hard time cause they could drink me under the table.:laugh:

wings421 said:
TIME is the only way to get alcohol out of the system!
What about increasing the metabolism?

Maybe a 20 minute run before show time would help.

Not drinking works every time but then that isn’t realistic.

Later

Last edited:
When a person takes the B A test it tests what is in your system at the time of the test. There are lots of timeswhere the person was given the test, taken the the station given the B A test again and had a higher number. The courts do not guess what the test might be or could have been. The number you get on the test is the number you are marked with. In this case .039. I wish him luck...............

All:

I am in no position to comment on the NWA crew.....the only facts I know are what I saw on TV. I do know that the CA got to finish his career. The FO and SO did not. The only thing I am respectful to the CA about is that his options were open and he served his time and got busy getting back into the cockpit. The fact that he had the CEO of his company on his side because his (the CEO) dad had an alcohol problem also. This was a huge red flag for me as if you treat someone special in the airline biz, you end up treating everyone special. I don't know, but if the CA got his job back, the FO and SO should have had the same opportunity.

Getting back to the situation at hand.....my point is somewhat lost. I think this guy will keep his job albeit with conditions and rehab/counseling. I think the FAA had nowhere to go on this deal because he blew a .039. My point is that he was legally drunk according to the FAA when he showed for duty and he was legally drunk sitting in the cockpit when the cops showed up. The technicality of the test being administered an hour later and he blows a .039 and 10 minutes later a .038 shows he was metabolizing the alcohol at basically the standard rate. It makes us all look bad when this sort of thing happens.

Those of you who want him to sue and b&%$ slap the TSA and the cops for arresting him when he was "legal" are sure pushing the envelope here. He did us all wrong. If we waited long enough to test those AWA guys, they would have tested .039 as well.

Be safe.

A350

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back