• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA f/o arrested for intoxication

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure the media won't cover the story about him if/when he gets the charges dropped and goes back to work.

The wonderful drive-by media.

FlyBarneyJets said:
I have a couple of problems with the "process" by which many of our brethren are being snagged (in addition to having a problem with some of our brethren who are showing up to work snookered).

If the TSA bloodhounds smell something they don't like, they should take the guy aside right then and there. They shouldn't be allowed to wait until he "boards an aircraft." The way they do it now...tailing the pilot to see what he's gonna do and snagging him when he turns left at the bottom of the jetbridge...is utter crap.

Playing Devil's advocate here... if I remember correctly, when the first in the recent rash of TSA smelling pilots drunk happened in 2002, the TSA did just what you suggested. They pulled the pilot aside and called the cops. There was a tremendous outcry on this board that "they aren't trained for that" and "they have no right to detain someone for being drunk." Well it looks like they learned, and now if they smell something that they think is alcohol, they let the crewmember pass, and call the authorities. I don't like it, but I think they're not doing anything that a passenger wouldn't do who smelled something 'funny.'

It's also funny/sad that whenever a story breaks like this, people always write "if he was sober, he should sue." When have they ever turned out to be sober? Booze smells like booze, and mouthwash smells like mouthwash. If they smell booze... they probably smell booze.

What do I know, I'm a cargo guy and hardly ever have to deal with the TSA anyhow.

Actually you are mistaken. Between work and commuting I pass through their domain at least 5 days a week if not more. The issue here is NOT the TSA rather the behavior of the pilot. I can assure you without having any more inside company information than you have ,it is highly unlikely that anybody would be jailed if they did not blow above the legal limit. Should this ever prove not to be the case I will extend my humble apology. Why are all these folks crucifying the TSA here?? Hitting a little too close to home perhaps??

Sluggo_63 said:
It's also funny/sad that whenever a story breaks like this, people always write "if he was sober, he should sue." When have they ever turned out to be sober? Booze smells like booze, and mouthwash smells like mouthwash. If they smell booze... they probably smell booze.

Uh, I know of at least three people that have been pulled aside and given a breathalyzer. They were all negative- all three.

Also, the breathalyzer available at some airports doesn't get used very often, if ever, and often is not calibrated as it should be. One airport even has a Barney Fife with a little $50. Radio Shack Home Alcohol Detector that he has used on pilots passing through there in the wee hours. I would insist on a calibrated machine, or a blood sample.

I believe you have the right to request they draw blood instead. I would call my CP to confirm that procedure is available, and if so, request it. Get away from the circus environment of the airport, to a hospital. Also, you now have medically-trained witnesses to the fact that you did not appear to be intoxicated, which could be important if the results are negative or the samples lost or corrupted somehow. Same advice for a roadside DUI stop.

Last edited:
Bavarian Chef said:
I heard the TSA "nail technicians" get a bonus if they snag a drunk pilot. Anyone know?

Chef-

You usually have some funny observation but this is just ignorant. Why not do our industry a favor and not come to work drunk...Oh and I assure you that the TSA in mass does not think JB pilots are what you suggest because of your actions, I am sure they can see an individual ass. Most pilots that I see (JB or not) are friendly and cordial and see the bigger picture, but I am sure you put those nasty TSA in their place.

At the end of the day the TSA is trying to serve a vital function with limited funds and perhaps undereducated screeners but if you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear.

Chef, I think you need to grow up a little.

Juice

Ty Webb said:
Uh, I know of at least three people that have been pulled aside and given a breathalyzer. They were all negative- all three.

OK and what is the problem? Other than the minor inconvenience what happened? My guess is nothing.

Juice

bluejuice787 said:
OK and what is the problem? Other than the minor inconvenience what happened? My guess is nothing.

You mean aisde from being falsely accused of drunk flying by an overpaid wand monkey on a power trip?

Latest resources

Back