SWA f/o arrested for intoxication

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bluejuice787 said:
Where do I get off? I take exception to your simple-minded-ness. Can you name me one person that you know personally that has been asked by the TSA to take a breath test? Could the TSA be much better? I believe so. Is it what we have to work with...yes. Rather than be an ass in uniform why not just be your comical self and if asked to take a breath test (read: I seriously doubt you would) do it and be on your way.

As far as your contract, you are correct, you have no obligation to speak to anyone. If, however, you turn over that ID you were issued when you came to JB and read the values you should have every reason not to be an ass. If you have problems with the TSA tell your chief pilot leader or write you congressman etc. Personally I treat everyone the same and ironically have never had an issue.

Aside from you Chef, pilots are notorious in believing that everything that they ever heard happening to someone else has in fact happened to them personally.

Juice

I didn't say I was being an ass, I said I don't speak to the TSA. I didn't say I was better than the TSA, I said I don't like them nor do I think they are doing a good job. Actually I didn't say any of that per se, but I am now.

Customers -- I heap on the charm whenever I get the chance (trust me, I willingly do what those values of ours would have us do). Crewmembers -- I always introduce myself, ask them how their day is going and then thank them for whatever they may have done for me or the company. Ground ops / tech ops / blue bags / gate agents -- I always let them know we (pilots) appreciate their hard work and try to establish positive relationships at any station I happen to be at (hard to crack that ice at jfk). SO don't pretend that you know how I am, or how I treat people because I said I wasn't a big fan of the TSA (AND I WON"T MAKE ANY ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT YOU AND YOUR DEMEANOR EITHER). I think you are taking this a little too far/serious and hell, I wanna get back to ribald humor and unbridled sarcasm.

And my original question is still unanswered...besides, now people are just tuning in to see a 1v1 similar between two jb dudes. Let the thread be the thread.

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_4033832

Pilot accused of being underhe influence ordered released

By Pamela Manson
and Brent Israelsen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Posted: 5:02:40 PM- A Southwest Airlines pilot whom police removed from a cockpit Sunday morning on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol appeared in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City on Monday afternoon to face an alcohol-related charge.
Carl Fulton, 41, of Fort Worth, Texas, was brought before U.S.
Magistrate Paul Warner, who ordered Fulton released on his own recognizance. Warner also ordered Fulton, who was dressed in his pilot uniform, not to consume alcohol or drugs during his release and to submit to random blood testing.
But Warner declined a prosecution request to ground Fulton, saying that was a matter for Southwest Airlines, given that the accusation against Fulton has not been proved yet.
U.S. prosecutors earlier Monday filed a criminal complaint against Fulton, charging him with operation of a common carrier under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
The complaint alleges that Fulton - who was removed from Southwest Flight 136 shortly before its scheduled 8 a.m. take-off at Salt Lake City International Airport - blew a 0.039 blood-alcohol level during a breath-analysis test about an hour later.
The level is just under Utah's legal limit for pilots of 0.04 percent and well below the 0.08 percent limit for motorists.
Under federal law, anyone with a blood-alcohol level of 0.10 or above is presumed intoxicated. If the level is less than that, prosecutors must prove that Fulton had alcohol or drugs in his blood and that he was impaired.
So far, police and prosecutors have released no evidence that Fulton was impaired. For example, there are no publicized reports that he moved awkwardly, slurred his speech or misperformed his tasks in the co-pilot seat in the Southwest aircraft.
Federal air marshals were tipped off to Fulton after a security screening officer noticed an odor of alcohol on Fulton's breath as he spoke to the officer.
According to the complaint, Fulton told federal investigators that he had consumed two "large beers" at Brewvies, 677 S. 200 West, on Saturday night during a screening of "Mission Impossible III." He said he then returned to his hotel, the Red Lion, 161 W. 600 South, where he had another beer in the lobby bar.
After one of the investigators explained that it would have been possible for Fulton to have a blood-alcohol level of nearly 0.039 percent the following morning, Fulton stated he had also consumed a "grenade of vodka."
Fulton is scheduled to appear again before Warner on July 28.
Prosecutors said they plan to present their case to a federal grand jury in the meantime.

Richard Cranium US Attorneys office asked judge to "ground him"

No judge or jury, presumed guilty already

fortunately judge disagreed

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_4033832

K-Mart said:
I hope to god that is true for him and his family. After that, it's clear skies for him. Literally.

Does swa have a limit more restrictive than the feds?

What was the time between his last drink and show time?

If the feds can't prove it was less than 8 hours, they can't touch him. He blew less than their legal limit. Company rules may result in his termination, but he's a free man that was very publicly fired.

Latest resources

Back