• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA DB- DING You suck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gatorade, one final thought. Are there any guys at SWA who you have burned bridges with in the past? SWA does post a list of folks scheduled to interview and encourages pilots to offer online rec (Good/and bad) hopefully not the later. Maybe that is what happened. If it is a strong posibility, it might be time to put out some long burning fires or if thats not possible to just forget about SWA and move on.

I hope this is not the case,
TJ

Spooky 1 said:
Don't be to hard on yourself or SWA for that matter. SWA is not the last word in an airline career. QUOTE]

Good point. I interviewed for that SWA Chicks in Planes scholarship a few years ago. I was so gung ho about it. It took me about a year to get over it when I didn't get it. As it turns out, besides for the fact that it would be nice to be making $100K right now, I AM SO HAPPY THEY TURNED ME DOWN (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I am sure some of you Stepford SWA Pilots are happy too....whatever). My point is that this may be a blessing in disguise for you.

One other thing........I just love the "Try again.....you may get hired on the 3rd try." WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!! "Sir, you are not good enough today, but you may be good enough next year." WTFO??????/

capt. megadeth said:
. . <snip>. . I just love the "Try again.....you may get hired on the 3rd try." WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!! "Sir, you are not good enough today, but you may be good enough next year." WTFO??????/
I just hope they don't make you pay for the type rating three times. . .

ATRCAPT said:
Gimme a break! Come down off your holier-than thou tower! I fart in your general direction.

Your eloquent post is another case in point. And thanks for the mental picture...don't strain yourself while pointing your butt skyward as you fart.

capt. megadeth said:
I just love the "Try again.....you may get hired on the 3rd try." WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!! "Sir, you are not good enough today, but you may be good enough next year." WTFO??????/

The fact remains that there is still a human factor involved in the hiring process. The very same interview with one person in 2004 could have had a different outcome in 2005, unfortunately that is what happens when humans get involved. Just because some guy may of dumped you at one time, you didn't give up on men right? We all know of someone who was turned down, but without being in the interview or knowing all the details, there is not much that can be done besides going through all the steps of grief. I'd be pissed off too, and the man has a right to vent, after all it is one of the steps.

1-Denial-"this can't be happening to me", No crying. Not accepting or even acknowledging the rejection.

2-Anger-"why me?", feelings of wanting to fight back or get even with the airline, anger at the airline, blaming them for not hiring you.

3-Bargaining-bargaining often takes place before the loss. Attempting to make deals with the airline who is interviewing, or attempting to make deals with God to stop or change the loss. Begging, wishing, praying for them to hire you.

4-Depression-overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration, bitterness, self pity, mourning loss of type rating cost, as well as the hopes, dreams and plans for the future. Feeling lack of control, feeling numb. Perhaps feeling suicidal.

5-Acceptance-there is a difference between resignation and acceptance. You have to accept the loss, not just try to bear it quietly. Realization that it takes two to make or break an interview. Realization that the airline will not hire you that it is not their fault, they didn't reject you on purpose. (even in cases of suicide, often the deceased person, was not in their right frame of mind) Finding the good that can come out of the pain of loss, finding comfort and healing. Our goals turn toward personal growth. Stay with fond memories of the airline.

Get help. You will survive. You will heal, even if you cannot believe that now, just know that it is true.

So why bring so many applicants and turn so many down? I heard that it costs $1,100 per applicant. Not only that, but I know of people that there's no way in hell should've been hired. It's stupid.

FlyAuburn said:
So why bring so many applicants and turn so many down? I heard that it costs $1,100 per applicant. Not only that, but I know of people that there's no way in hell should've been hired. It's stupid.

Well, fortunately for some and unfortunately for others, no airline has mastered the interview process.......not even SWA.

FlyAuburn said:

There is another thread on this subject buried from last month.

I'm not sure why they bring in so many. I do know they block off a week for interviewing. I figure they want to bring in as many people as possible during that week as they can. It doesn't cost much more to bring in 40 people instead of the best 20. There is no sim test at SWA.

Every hiring cycle is different. If the company needs 30 hires a month they get the best they can, plain and simple. They can hold out a little while for more competitive folks but eventually the pool needs to be fed to so the cockpits filled.

Have an opinion on some peers do you? Macho talk about so and so points directly back to you as someone who doesn't play well with others. It also says a lot about your ability to instruct and share your knowledge. You may be looked at as the one to cause trouble or quit for greener pastures at the earliest opportunity. You might be better but you might be more expensive too.

The airline interview is not a test of flying strength or like winning the lottery but, IMHO, is something in-between. Experience is important but timing is often more so.

Last edited:
dang!

I haven't even interviewed yet and you all have me sweating bullets! As for the 8,000 Gs for the type, well it's gone and there is no looking back! Even if I never make it out of a barbie jet, atleast I can tell my grand kids I am typed in a "big jet"!!

Latest resources

Back