SWA/ATA codeshare ending?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dane Bramage said:
I apologize for some of the "arrogant-sounding" comments by my newer SWA brothers. Everyone needs to understand that a LOT of posters on FlightInfo are younger guys who recently got their first major airline job. Some of the newer SWA guys posting here have a tendency to let the "koolaid" do their talking. Not a slam on them, just factual, tangible evidence of the power of the SWA culture to instill company pride and loyalty. It usually wears off with the passage of time.

Why don't you wear off. I getting a little tired of some SWA pilots getting on this board and thinking they are still at work and want to tell the "junior" guys how it works around here. These guys are free to spout off anything they like, whether popular or unpopular, and you have no right to belittle them for it. Many SWA pilots on this board post things that might make some of us cringe, that is why it is an anonymous board. People will post things that they might not say in front of someone at another airline. You as well are entitled to your opinion, but when you start in on the condescending remarks you cease to exist as a fellow SWA pilot in my book. Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no seniority around here Goober, and if there is you are junior to me anyway. You must be a thrill to fly with CA Avoidance bid.:puke:

I'm sorry that Capt. Brain Damage feels he needs to apologize for us "junior" folks. You know - nobody has been at SWA longer then him. Looks like he is junior to lots of us here at flightinfo.com.

Being flightinfo's only 5 Star Senior Member, can be tough. I am no rookie or newbee to this game that we all play. Heck, I'm a starter. Varsity baby!

SWA/FO = :pimp:

From my understanding SW offered ATA 117$M in a variety of payments, loans etc. with a controlling influence on what ATA would and would not fly ... FL made an initial $98M offer and later matched the $117M (in cash) to ATA for the MDW gates.... no other dictating requirements or controlling business practices. ATA pilots joined FL prior to the deal and even more after the deal. FL was not out to "bleed" ATA as previously posted. FL wanted the MDW gates in an effort to grow. FL has continued to hire ATA pilots and will continue to do so. It is very unfortunate to see the dismantling of a company by those that came in with a "we are here to help you" cloak. I know quite a few pilots from ATA that are very proud of their company and have served them well.

FL made an initial $98M offer and later matched the $117M (in cash) to ATA for the MDW gates

News to me.

All we heard was that FL would look into upping the offer, but decided against it.

Just Thinking,

What you say is 100% accurate. FL was honest up front and offered no guarantees whatsoever. Hindsight is 20/20, if ATA had taken that offer we would have entrenched into IND and NWA would have finished us off.

The SWA deal was not perfect but it offered some guarantees that attracted an investor, that is why ATA is still flying today. Do I like having my future in the hands of a competitor, of course not! I still would rather be working with SWA than competiting with SWA. Will SWA get ETOPS and start flying Int'l? Maybe, but we have a 7 year code share that offers some protection and much more that no other airline has.

Who knows, maybe AirTran may want International authority someday and the bidding can resume but at least ATA is still here out of bankruptcy and still flying. I still have a plan "B" and just waiting to pull the trigger if I have to.

Last edited:
FL has continued to hire ATA pilots and will continue to do so

So has Southwest Airlines, whats the point.

Halintexas where do you get your information on our scope. First we have very little if anything about codesharing in our scope. It was talked about after the fact. Additionally, The 5% ASM I don't beleive exists either. The only thing that exists is that SWAPA pilots will fly SWA airplanes. The question was, and why SWA sold its shares of ATA, was mostly because we brought up the fact that we had some ownership and we were not flying the jets. The company knew this going in and approached us about this temporary situation and promised to sell out as soon as it made sense. Guess what they did. The issue of overlapping routes came up with FT Myers, we didnt like it, but nothing in our contract prevented it. The company just said let this one happen and we will talk about the rest.

TristarCostar said:
To be totally honest with respect to this codeshare. SWA has done nothing but destroy a good company. Granted we may have been in business a bit longer with their financing but in the end its just a slow part by part death that has been handed to us. SWA has no idea how much has been gained to them with the destruction of the ATA route system that we worked so hard to produce.

Due we need to remind everyone that our current CEO is ex SWA mgmt. Hmmm. I really wonder were those true colors lie. Can you say direct line between Dennison (ATA) and Kelly (SWA) on the cell phone. I am sure there isn't one decision made here without a call to Dallas Corporate.

When SWA has ETOPS approval, ATA will cease to exist.
Hence, the reason for my hostility towards SWA. I mean, I know they have a business to run but I have a lot of friends at ATA and ex. Chicago Express. I know that ATA started the demise themselves but SWA is a big part of it.

Another thing....I don't buy this "oh, they wouldn't be in business right now if not for SWA" b.s. At least if ATA closed it's doors sooner, the employees could have found jobs by now....it's just delaying the inevitable so no, SWA didn't do ATA any favors. PUHLEEEAZE

Last edited:
You are just mad at Southwest Airlines for not hiring you.

You guys looking out for Fed Ex at your current employer? Probably not. You think UAL cares about NWA? How about DAL caring about Jet Blue? You have to take care of #1.

capt. megadeth said:
Hence, the reason for my hostility towards SWA. I mean, I know they have a business to run but I have a lot of friends at ATA and ex. Chicago Express. I know that ATA started the demise themselves but SWA is a big part of it.

Another thing....I don't buy this "oh, they wouldn't be in business right now if not for SWA" b.s. At least if ATA closed it's doors sooner, the employees could have found jobs by now....it's just delaying the inevitable so no, SWA didn't do ATA any favors. PUHLEEEAZE

I can't apologize for any SWA pilot opinions. Everyone here has a need to make a point even if it is beside the point or grossly insensitive. I can only hope they figure out what is right and wrong.

I won't say SWA is doing ATA any long term good right now, but I do hope the future holds good things for ATA. In this industry, especially since 9/11, transformation and short term survival seem to be good things.

IMHO, this codeshare with SWA might allow ATA to more gracefully return to their roots of mostly charter flying. The possibility of offering international codeshare for one or more LCCs also looks promising.

Latest resources

Back