• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran Process Agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Only one reason for it to go differently - the behavior of the AAI guys' MEC that infects the rest of the honest and hard working pilots of AirTran.

And what "behavior" would that be?

Would that be our "senior MEC members" that have "behavior" issues?

Wow....some of you guys take my posts entirely out of context. I look forward to working with you guys and definately match and compliment your culture. I just can't understand why some guys on here respond so angrily at me. BTW im awesome to work with and SW is going to be extremely happy to have me and many of my fellow pilots on the same team. :)

That's why I say they are spring loaded to negativity. They completely took your post out of context.

No doom and gloom just reality.

The feeling at SWA is nobody wants their own seniority list watered down by individuals like yourself who couldn't get hired here (and there are a lot of you) or by an airline with such low pay and benefits. You'd feel the same way too, seriously you would and you know it. When and if you do come over here, it will be viewed as this, no matter what they do with renumbering the seniority list.

That being said there are a lot of ex Mesa people on the SWA seniority list. I don't remember Mesa having high pay and benefits. Just say it, "we got hired not acquired."

not a SWA dude, only wishing

not spring loaded for anything....just making an bystander's observation

seriously, good luck to all

This is a union topic that should be posted under the union section of FI. PLease us ALL of Flight Info for your aviation needs.. so all members can locate information they are looking for, now and in the future searches..

mod clr4

Wow....some of you guys take my posts entirely out of context. I look forward to working with you guys and definately match and compliment your culture. I just can't understand why some guys on here respond so angrily at me. BTW im awesome to work with and SW is going to be extremely happy to have me and many of my fellow pilots on the same team. :)

I have pride like you. Your post is one of good. I am in the same boat. Young and worried. A lot to lose.

I have read your posts, your positive attitude will go a long way.

good luck to us all.

What is the implementation schedule of the ISL if it isn't a negotiated list?
Short answer: the arbitrators will tell us. It's required to be in their decision.

Long answer:

30 days from right now, both parties will independently submit a list of 7 "neutrals". No later than 15 days from the date the lists are in, the parties will do the typical "strike" and "counter-strike" elimination of the neutrals until 3 are left.

Additionally, within 30 days from right now, the Seniority Lists will be certified as they existed on 9/26/2010. Immediately after the lists are certified, negotiations begin for 90 days. At the end of 90 days if no agreement is reached, a mediator is brought in for 15 sessions over 15 days to be concluded by 09/30/2011. On 10/01/2011 (or later if the 15 sessions take longer), if there is no SLI, arbitration begins and the arbitrators will be given a copy of the process agreement that details the desire to have an SLI to be done by New Year's. There will be 12 days of arbitration, with an extension of 3 more if required, but no more.

The Process Agreement lists that ANY negotiated, mediated, or arbitrated SLI will also have an implementation schedule attached to it and that it SHALL be accepted by Southwest Management as well as the pilot groups.

The Agreement also recognizes that the award (negotiated, mediated, or arbitrated) will be REQUIRED to have an EFFECTIVE DATE OF IMPLEMENTATION of the ISL. This will preclude an SLI being reached then it being kept in limbo by one party.

Sec 5.G: “The Final Award shall be final and binding on the Parties to this Agreement, on their Successors and Assigns, and on the pilots employed by the Company and its affiliates. The Final Award shall include the date on which the Integrated Master Seniority List will become affective, which will be either a date agreed upon by the parties, or, if they do not agree, a date agreed by the Panel (arbitrators)."

Sec 6.A: “Utilizing the foregoing procedures, the Parties will implement an orderly combination of the Southwest Pilots and AirTran Pilots under a single collective bargaining agreement and representation by a single collective bargaining representative within a single transportation system under the RLA.”

Sec 6.B: Management will help with the filing of the Single Carrier Status with the NMB per the RLA. Once Single Carrier is recognized, the pilots of AirTran become represented by and fall under the SWAPA CBA.

Southwest pay, if an ISL is reached by negotiations or mediation and ratified, happens on a schedule negotiated by AAI ALPA, SWAPA, and SWA management. Benefits will also be negotiated on this timetable.

If an ISL is not reached by negotiations/mediation and has to be arbitrated, AAI pilots don't get Southwest pay and benefits until the SLI is implemented, SOC is recognized by the FAA, *AND* Single Carrier Status is recognized by the NMB, at which time all the pay and benefits happen all at once. This could be a delay of up to 6 months from what I'm told over a negotiated implementation.

That's all black and white from the Process Agreement. The document was crafted with the main intent to make it happen quickly and to keep one party from stalling and/or backing out of the SLI process. The only way it can be canceled or even delayed more than 6 months or so at this point is if the entire merger is called off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back