• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran Process Agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nothing in the Process Agreement, Transition Agreement, Merger Documents, Bond-McCaskill, Mohawk-Allegheny, or Collective Bargaining Agreements entitles you to employment at Southwest Airlines.

Ivauir, would you recommend to GK that AT pilots be the seperate "lower" cost arm of SWA. Or would you recommend that we be intergrated into the SWAPA CBA? None of us asked for this. Just trying to figure out what you guys think is the best way to make it work.

If the outcome of arbitration is negative to SWA pilots, then GK may elect to not merge the list to avoid acrimony in the ranks...just a thought...it is out of our hands...

If the outcome of arbitration is negative to SWA pilots, then GK may elect to not merge the list to avoid acrimony in the ranks...just a thought...it is out of our hands...

In which case SWA would have a lower cost division to expand with using non SWAPA pilots. I think the perspective you are missing is if GK is any kind of businessman (and I think he is), once he bought AT he now consider them SWA pilots also.

You never never ever dangle the carrot of a lower paid employee group doing the same job for a lot less. Even if it is the best management team. Also that alone reflects the potential of management to start veering to the "dark side". Kinda like a wife married to a murderer convinced that he is the best hubby and would never hurt her. I know I know it is an extreme example. A management team that is willing to have a two class measure that divides the company is a red flag for the future. Remember pilots make up 7800 of the total 43000 employees.....GK has a responsibility to them also. Our 7800 pilots can't play nice so....well the heck with it, even tho the other unionized groups were able to work it out.

Last edited:
My guess is that the people running SWA value a merger and view it as necessary. But at any and all costs? I don't think so. Anyone who is convinced of this is wrong. In other words, lets all assume an arbitrated award comes out that is onerous to the SWA pilot group....a hypothetical worst case deal for the SWA folks. Do you really think that GK is willing to flush the entire culture to make the merger happen? I wouldn't underestimate the value that SWA places on the culture and their belief that it all starts with the employees.

After reading the Process Agreement I am ready to get it on! This should all be settled by the end of the year and my future AT bro's will learn on the 5th, 20th, and every workday between that they did the right thing negotiating in good faith for the best position in the industry.

Gup

Remember: SWA is a no frills, high frequency LCC. The secret to our success is our customer loyalty. Our customers like our friendly employees. I like our friendly employees. The positive culture at SWA is based on trust between management and labor (unique in the airline industry). If GK is as smart a businessman as we all think he is, he will preserve the SWA culture at all costs. We acquired AAI to eliminate a worthy competitor and gain access to certain markets, thereby laying the ground work for growth. We did not buy AAI to provide their employees a big raise at the expense of our existing employees. If the result of arbitration is negative in the eyes of SWA pilots (relative seniority, pure DOH), GK has options, one of whcih may be to operate AAI as a separate entity and GROW the SWA side. This may be the best result if it preserves the positive relations between labor and management. M/B provides AAI pilots protections but does not guarantee a place on the SWA Master Seniority List. The only guaranteed way to get on the list is to apply for a job (like 6000 just did), get an interview, get hired, get a type rating. You must also pass a probationary period.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back