SWA-AAI Going Rogue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crash Pad

Union says you can't discuss SLI! Moderator from AAI will shut down this thread in two minutes.

I'm going rogue!

Ok I've got a little something I'd like to toss out there if you don't like it just send it right back.

1. Date of hire with seat locks for captains
2. Date of hire with some sort of fence for 717
3. Straight DOH. (this has potential because your senior FO's will see upgrade quicker)
4. Fence off your 93' and over crowd. Then some sort of 7 to 2 or 3 to 1

We know the staple is out. Any of these work? By work I mean do you think your pilot group wouldn't come down the jetway see that I'm former AAI and take a dump in my seat while I'm doing a walk around.

You guys must have some realistic scenario that might work. What is it?

Note: I know people can't post real opinions on FI because your union will send you a nasty gram. I say sack up and lets have a real discussion. I'm sick of all these vague non-SLI... SLI threads discussing what each group brings to the table... Here is my no ******************** SLI thread. You can't post on this thread then shut the ******************** up! Man up!

Crash Pad said:
4. Fence off your 93' and over crowd. Then some sort of 7 to 2 or 3 to 1

Have absolutely no dog in the fight, but as an outside observer a ratio integration after the start of Valujet doesn't seem completely unreasonable as long as all current AAI captains are seat protected.

Perhaps I should get into the arbitration business, seems there is money to be made there these days...

I'm not engaging in this SLI discussion.

I just want to ask why are 'seat locks' always stipulated?

Your Capt seat is determined only by your place in line. That's it. You didn't 'earn' yout seat with anything but longevity. Your company shrinks, you may lose your seat.

By the same vein, if your company's gets bought (and the capt's seats along side it). Then your seat is determined simply by your new place in line.

I sure don't 'deserve' a left seat, why do think you're entitled to keep it if your new place is below the cut.

Somebody explain it to me.

And used little words, please?

Thanks- BD

I'd garner that a "seat lock" would be unacceptable to 25% of the SWA pilots. Bump and flush preventions are well understood but not seat locks.

Example: a new CA seat opens at PHX while one is removed from ATL. Seat lock would allow the ATL captain to move to the PHX position even if the pilot didn't have the seniority. That wouldn't fly with the senior SWA FOs. It'd be a very big benefit for the junior AAI captains if ATL ever shrunk. Since most don't expect ATL to shrink, why even add Seat Lock to the SLI?

I sure don't 'deserve' a left seat, why do think you're entitled to keep it if your new place is below the cut.

Somebody explain it to me.

"It's not what you deserve, it's what you can negotiate..."

-Dr Stanley Karras

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..."

-Academy Award(R) Winner
Clint Eastwoon in "Unforgiven"

While I understand the crack cocaine like addiction to wanting to discuss SLI openly with fellow parties involved.... (I know I would), I simply have to digress.

I think alot of eyes would open up as the how "reasonable" the majority of the Pilot groups really are. I haven't spoken to a single AAI Pilot that has not been completely "reasonable" in their expectation, combined with the enthusiasm to put this potentially contentious procedure behind them. NOT ONE.

Believe it or not.... the biggest worry with most Pilots I have talked to is that stupidity on BOTH sides will destroy the combined Pilot group like the USAir - America West debacle. I simply do NOT see that happening.

The ONLY persons that I see implying that the AAI Pilots are wanting the sun the moon the stars.... are some of the morons around here. I certainly haven't heard that....

I think alot of eyes would open up as the how "reasonable" the majority of the Pilot groups really are. I haven't spoken to a single AAI Pilot that has not been completely "reasonable" in their expectation, combined with the enthusiasm to put this potentially contentious procedure behind them. NOT ONE.

Where on the contrary I have not spoken to one SWA pilot that wants this acquisition. They wish it would go away.

Interesting contrasting points of view which speaks volumes.

On another point, why would the thread below be moved to non-aviation? It clearly is a major airline thread.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=138314

Last edited:
SWA is spending ALOT of money for AAI. ALOT. They must want us BADLY. Nobody spends money in this financial climate... yet here we are.

Seems like we are in the same boat. You were selected to work as an employee at SWA by someone above you out of your hands.

AAI Pilots are being selected to work as an employee at SWA by someone above us out of our hands.

Did I mention that SWA is spending ALOT of money to have us come work for them..... so your opinion means NADA. Kinda like on flightinfo....

Bye Sexy.....

SWA is spending ALOT of money for AAI. ALOT. They must want us BADLY. Nobody spends money in this financial climate... yet here we are.

Seems like we are in the same boat. You were selected to work as an employee at SWA by someone above you out of your hands.

AAI Pilots are being selected to work as an employee at SWA by someone above us out of our hands.

Did I mention that SWA is spending ALOT of money to have us come work for them.....

How much is it costing SWA to purchase AT?

A seat lock only makes sense when a move to the right seat will be accompanied by a serious pay/QOL hit. This is not the case here. An 8year AAI captain becoming an 8yr SWA FO will experience a RAISE in pay/QOL. This is a first in any SLI.

Cant be certain, but I'm confident that any reasonable arbitrator will agree.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back