SWA/AAI future?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crash Pad

Ok I'm passed the seniority list... I was actually past it with the first offer but you know ALPA, they always know what's best for me. So excited to be done with ALPA.

My question is for you super smart pilots that can see the future: How is this going to play out?

1. Will a 717 ever be in SWA colors? Will they be dumped prior to us coming over to SWA. Example they dump one bring those pilots for training and pick up a 737 to put them in?

2. If the 717 is dumped before it gets SWA paint is there a furlough on AAI side?

3. How long will it take for AAI to become SWA completely? I was looking at 30 months from the first offer... Does that still sound correct?

4. Does SWA have a 737 ground school for non-typed pilots? Will 717 guys need to get a type between here and there.

5. What will 717 pay be? If they do go to your side of the fence... I'm guessing SWAPA will negotiate a rate. I'm also guessing SWAPA pilots will want those Capt. seats etc.

6. Will I ever see a SWA paycheck before 2013?

Please save the list argument for another thread I'm looking for guesses on how this plays out.

Crash,
you are asking lots of great questions, and unfortunately no one knows the answers at this time. i can tell you that once you get on board, you will thoroughly enjoy the flying, company, flexibility, and LUV. pardon the kool aid pun.
all the best,
NAV

1 - Not likely. If there are enough 737 seats, then yes, brought over.

2 - Possibly.

3 - 30 months sounds right

4 - No non-typed program as of now

5 - 717 pay will stay the same as now.

6 - No. I'd say 2013 is a good guess.

I agree with FlybyNav that you'll like it when you're here. The only one of your questions I can answer is about the type rating. You will get a type when you go to upgrade. It's part of your first checkride as a CA. That's the way about every other airline does it. The only reason SWA requires it as a condition to join the club as a newhire, is to ensure the person is actually fully qualified from the get-go, and so the company doesn't find out the hard way when they try to upgrade that pilot. When Morris guys came aboard, their F/Os didn't have types; they got them when they upgraded-- at company expense.

Hope this helps.

Bubba

The only reason SWA requires it as a condition to join the club as a newhire, is to ensure the person is actually fully qualified from the get-go, and so the company doesn't find out the hard way when they try to upgrade that pilot.
LMFAO.....Take a guess as to the % of people who "fail" their type at higher power.

3. How long will it take for AAI to become SWA completely? I was looking at 30 months from the first offer... Does that still sound correct?

737 conversions are rumored* to occur between 2Q12-3Q13
717 conversions are rumored* to occur between 3Q12-4Q13

Not sure about that one, but most people pass the second time around....no matter where you are, unless you are really that bad.

Latest resources

Back