• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI and the flight deck jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never looked at going anywhere else after getting hired at SW. After having an active application on file for over 8 years, UAL finally called me for an interview about 6 months after I got hired, and I never even responded, although I did consider going to the interview wearing a pair of jeans, a SW tee shirt, leather jacket and ropers just to see their reaction to my total disdain I have/had for their hiring practices.
I'd have like to have been a fly on the wall for that interview...

:D

JT12345,

But you need to come to terms that you will still have a job, a good one at that.

That's the point. Well done. What is the point of the money if you are on the street.

Seniority is gold bullion. Everything else is fleeting.

I like all the guys hired the last 12-15 years acting like SWA is the world to them. The only place. Really the word was out about how great SWA was after the early 90s. I think they whethered that storm very well after the Iraq war and raised eyebrows. Those hired before that are the ones with the ghonas like Gup. They took the risk. Made it the place it is... or maybe was... from what I am reading on here.

Seems like most of the guys and girls hired in this decade at SWA have not faced a lot of adversity in their careers prior to being hired and during their tenure there. Sorry to wake you up to the dynamics and unstablity of the industry. I know you had your caeer planned out for the next 30 years, but you should not be doing that unless you want to be disappointed.

We all need to pull together on this because the second you let up someone else will take advantage of it in this business.

Last edited:
I thought we do this for money? It is about money. Balance is good, but money pays for things and helps you not work - someday in the future (age 72).

I thought we do this for money? It is about money. Balance is good, but money pays for things and helps you not work - someday in the future (age 72).

Your expectations are way to high thinking you will be able to retire. Period.

The way things are going in this country plan on working till you drop. Even if things get better don't listen to some double breasted suit type financial dumb arse tell you what you need to be happy in those gold years. Their job is to collect the bread crumbs along the way to that golden parachute nonsense then rob you of it all in the end.

Retirement is subjective and if you love what you do you already are. If you don't love this why wait to you retire to do something else. If you are just in it for the money you are setting yourself up for even more dissapointment.

Last edited:
JT, Lear,

AAI pilots have stated on this forum that the raise they will receive as a result of this acquisition is not relevant to the SLI...these same AAI pilots also state that seniority is all that matters and that no AAI CP should lose his seat...Well if they get their way you will have former AAI CPs making SWA CP money while SWA pilots (who have been at SWA longer than they have been at AAI) still making SWA FO pay...that is irritating...

JT, Lear,

AAI pilots have stated on this forum that the raise they will receive as a result of this acquisition is not relevant to the SLI...these same AAI pilots also state that seniority is all that matters and that no AAI CP should lose his seat...Well if they get their way you will have former AAI CPs making SWA CP money while SWA pilots (who have been at SWA longer than they have been at AAI) still making SWA FO pay...that is irritating...

Well I never said it was not relevant to the SLI and that someone might not lose their seat. Who knows. What is worse than losing seniority is when it is really needed.... to stay off the street.

Ie. A USAir type senerio or outcome where the company can now whipsaw one group against the other. If USAir ever grows. Grow one side verse the other and destroy themselves in the process even more so than a competitor like SWA did in the 90s. Once the employee group as a "whole" is disgusted, even with good entitlements, it just flows down to the customer and things get even more negative. Hopefully any SLI outcome will prevent these attitudes more so than less.

Last edited:
JT, Lear,

Or, on a slightly brighter note .... Both MC's are aware of the issue. Perhaps they can come up with a solution where everybody gets cake, and eats it too.

You guys are so ALPA and you don't even know it. Next, maybe a giant rat? Where is the "No Love" coming from? How are you guys receiving "No Love?" Greed has become the demise of not only our industry, but this country. Don't join in. We've all seen the repercussions. There are enough deliveries planned at LUV over the next 3 1/2 years that everyone should feel the LUV. What is it that you guys want from your management that you aren't already getting?

The ALPA job killing machine has so brainwashed the AT boys that they will not be happy until the SWA pilots are stapled to the bottom of the AT list.

They have a rude awaking coming soon, it will be like a bucket of ice cold water being thrown on them. Then they will be like all the other former ALPA members..........out in the cold

Do you consider all the benefits of being acquired by Southwest, including a pay raise to a very large pay raise, punishment?

Interesting viewpoint.

Gup

Gup, I was simply referring to a post above saying that there should be consequences. Like most I am prepared to deal with whatever the arbitrator hands out.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back