• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI and the flight deck jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As for the APA comment- Are you saying that the APA is responsible for the culture at AA??

I was referring to the attitude the APA had towards the TWA pilots. I believe they compared them to Wall Mart. We both know how they treated them in the SLI.

They were arrogant and Karma hasn't treated them well.

I understand there were other forces at work also. They'll be in front of a judge shortly.

That doesn't make any sense.

All I keep hearing is money money money, it really makes one believe that if it were a 1999, 2000 environment in the industry you guys would all be trying to get on at United and Delta, and not giving a rip about your "culture." All I hear is greed on this message board.

I very briefly considered leaving SW for DL in '98, but couldn't afford to risk a furlough, besides, I didn't meet their hiring qualifications with 10K+ hours, 5 type ratings, 12 years in the 121 world.

I wake up every day firmly believing that it's far better to be lucky than good!

I very briefly considered leaving SW for DL in '98, but couldn't afford to risk a furlough, besides, I didn't meet their hiring qualifications with 10K+ hours, 5 type ratings, 12 years in the 121 world.

I wake up every day firmly believing that it's far better to be lucky than good!

I appreciate your honesty. Very true about this industry when it comes to luck and timing. I've been pretty lucky so far.

I appreciate your honesty. Very true about this industry when it comes to luck and timing. I've been pretty lucky so far.

I am so lucky I never finished my 4 year degree...... I might have actually gone to Delta.

Oh, and I was not actively looking to leave SW. My old man was a Pan Amer that went to DL with with the Atlantic routes (that really started DL in the international business). A contemporary of his that got an office job after he turned 60 worked in some capacity in hiring. They were actually having a hard time finding qualified applicants at that time, and the guy knew I was a pilot. He called my old man and asked him if I were interested in a job at DL. I hadn't really considered leaving SW, as I really liked the company, but the pay and retirement numbers were a bit better over at DL. The nagging issue was losing my seniority, and the very real risk of a furlough ( the country was showing signs of the coming recession). It was really a tough decision, so I decided to fill out the UPAS app, and then, make the decision if I got the job. Before I filled out the flight time grid (I hadn't totalled my logbook in over 3 years at that point), I decided to check the minimum requirements. When I read that a 4 year degree was one of the requirements (the only one I didn't meet in spades, BTW), I called my old man, and he called his friend to ask. The guy didn't think it would be a big deal, considering my other quals, but he made a call, and was exasperated that they wouldn't waive that considering my experience. I was actually relieved that I wouldn't have to make a tough decision (a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush), and obviously, I am far better off than had I gone over.

I never looked at going anywhere else after getting hired at SW. After having an active application on file for over 8 years, UAL finally called me for an interview about 6 months after I got hired, and I never even responded, although I did consider going to the interview wearing a pair of jeans, a SW tee shirt, leather jacket and ropers just to see their reaction to my total disdain I have/had for their hiring practices.

Last edited:
I never looked at going anywhere else after getting hired at SW. After having an active application on file for over 8 years, UAL finally called me for an interview about 6 months after I got hired, and I never even responded, although I did consider going to the interview wearing a pair of jeans, a SW tee shirt, leather jacket and ropers just to see their reaction to my total disdain I have/had for their hiring practices.

Good story. I particularly like the last part. I think we all have the same sentiment when it came down to UAL and their hiring practices. It probably helped contribute to the sinking of the USS United in training costs alone. When/if I get over to the SWA side beers are on me.

just to see their reaction to my total disdain I have/had for their hiring practices.

Yep... they were tough.

RLAblows.... get over here! I like free Beers!!

JT,

Sure be interesting to know what year you were hired at Airtran......... I'm thinking you're one of the Captains that's junior to our senior FO's.
He's not.

You have been bought by a company that pays and treats its pilots better than your old one. Start at the bottom like everyone else or stay fenced at your old pay/benefits and seat...don't scoff at the money that just makes you look greedy...
I thought we talked about that... a staple just isn't going to happen, nor is fencing off the operation. So why do you keep insisting on talking about it and deliberately irritating us?

It'll all work out, my friend. Just gotta have a little faith. Enjoy your weekend... :beer:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back