SWA 4Q profit slip amid higher costs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ARGHHHH!!!! :smash: :uzi:

Instead of a "if you don't like it, don't apply" why not a "we should get SWAPA to put this on the table for negotiations next time." You know, to get in line with the industry standard. Pay, profit sharing, stock options do not justify this kind of practice.

Why don't you start at your place and let us worry about ours. Damn, too much typing directed your way, are you really that clueless?

Instead of a "if you don't like it, don't apply" why not a "we should get SWAPA to put this on the table for negotiations next time." You know, to get in line with the industry standard. Pay, profit sharing, stock options do not justify this kind of practice.

I would rather SWAPA do what the majority of SWA pilots wanted, when SWAPA sent out the surveys and did phone surveys .

I think that would be better than , listening to a new hire ,Virgin America pilot.

I think I would rather pay for my type rating, than have to listen to that gay techno music in the boarding area of a VA flight.

I see it's time for another round of "I got nothing else, so I'll play the Southwest PFT card again!"

Why do you keep harping on this? Seriously? Different airlines have different minimums. For SWA, it's ATP, 737 type, and 1500 turbine PIC hours. Other airlines require less hours, or no type, or not even ATP. It's up to them to decide what they want, and up to you to get it if you want to apply there. SWA doesn't require a 4-year college degree; others do. Why don't you give grief to Delta for requiring a college degree of their applicants when we don't? Why don't you give grief to airlines requiring ATP when some others don't? Clearly this is just the piddly-crap you've come up with to bash SWA. 'Cause you don't like our minimums? If that's all you've got, then I feel pretty good about my choice of employer.

Why does SWA still require it? I don't know for sure. In the beginning, I suppose it was to make sure that you really wanted to work here (a new airline) and weren't as likely to bolt after training and stuff. Nowadays, while clearly they could probably do without, it still ensures that SWA attracts applicants who really want to be here. Plus, this way, they know you're qualified to be a captain when you start; fewer surprises later. Also, since they know you're qualified on the only airplane we've got, that allows the interviewers to concentrate on finding out about your personality, and whether they want to sit next to this guy for hours at a time.

To answer your other question about the six-month thing, and if they "fire you" if you dont' get the type rating by then. You actually only get "provisionally hired," without the type if you pass the interview, but you can't start newhire training until you get the type rating within six months (that is, finish satisfying the company's hiring minimums).

Well, there you go--answers to your questions. Although I suspect you really weren't looking for real answers--you just want to bitch about Southwest. However, it really is as simple as Scoreboard says: if you don't meet the minimums for any job position (whether that be so many hours, an unrelated college degree, or whatever rating or ratings), then you can't apply. If you wanna' bitch, then knock yourself out. However, you'd be better off utilizing your time applying to a company whose minimums you DO meet, or work to increase your personal qualifications. Your choice.

Bubba

I wanted to to thank you for this response. Of all the posting here, this is the most rationale, thought out post.

As for the point of giving grief to the airlines that require an ATP or a college degree, those aren't aircraft-specific requirements. A college degree has nothing to do with aviation/pilot. And an ATP is also not aircraft-specific, meaning you can get an ATP out of a light twin Seneca, Seminole, etc. Most people, in their course of an aviation career, will end up obtaining an ATP through an upgrade, or by a weekend checkride in a twin through someone they know. None of these are aircraft specific, as a type rating is.

Nowadays, while clearly they could probably do without, it still ensures that SWA attracts applicants who really want to be here. Plus, this way, they know you're qualified to be a captain when you start; fewer surprises later. Also, since they know you're qualified on the only airplane we've got, that allows the interviewers to concentrate on finding out about your personality, and whether they want to sit next to this guy for hours at a time.
I know plenty of guys who really want to be at SWA but their current family/financial situation prevents them from dropping 7-8k large on a 737 type. Qualified to be a Captain when you start? At this level, SWA is not the first rodeo for pilots. Since they already require 1000-1500TPIC time, that means they are hiring people who have already been Captains, people who have proven that they can do it. Lots of airlines hire and then fully (PIC) type the newhire pilot, and that takes care of any issues of knowing they can be Captain qualified. As for the interviewers, in the two pilot interviews I've had, none had any airplane-specific questions. All of them were TMAAT and HR type questions to get to know you. HR already knows you are a pilot, and they presume you will be able to pass training with even a half bit of effort. It isn't hard. The HR interview/pilot board concentrate on whether or not an individual would be a good fit, and if you can spend a 4-day trip with him/her. That's why most interview questions are TMAAT formats, and not "what is the DC battery voltage on the 737?"

Thanks for acknowledging that it's something clearly they could probably do without. That's an honest assessment, and I'd agree.

Who cares. If you don't want to get one....don't!!!

If you want to have a shot at getting hired (in2017 when we start again)....get it!!

Got it??

Latest resources

Back