• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA 4Q profit slip amid higher costs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will put a SWA captain W2 against any other airline you pick prior to 2001.

You do not know what you a talking about. Just another SWA, hater.

PLC.... I know, I know I have a small johnson :)

At least slaquer gets it. That's the point I was trying to make to him also. My argument was for the post 9/11 candidates, the pre 9/11 still did far better than their contemporaries with the stock options and the profit sharing. You're clueless Flyer1015 when it come to the industry, either you're not a current pilot, or you've been on Gilligans Island for the past 13 years and the radio's broke.

So the excuse is still, pay, profit sharing, and stock options justifies it? Maybe Delta and United management could learn a lesson here. Pay enough on paper, with promises tied to profit sharing, and pilots will line to buy their own type ratings. Hopefully, not everybody. But in those pilot contracts, they have it written that pilot will not be required to pay for training or activities associated with doing a pilot job.

Please, there is no valid excuse for a consecutively profitable airline in history to keep on keeping that silly requirement. This isn't a enty level regional job PFT, this is a legacy carrier that is making money and yet requires you to earn the job type rating elsewhere. If one is hired for a job, the training required for the duties/performance of that job should be paid for.

Here's a question, if hired at SWA, and you don't obtain the 737 type rating within 6 months as they ask, what can happen then? If they fire you, then that's all one needs to know about this practice.

It's funny when people complain about what Southwest guys made in the past. Not knowing those guys had hundreds of thousands of dollars in stock options at the time. Hundreds of guys that retired multi-millionaires, but it doesn't fit very well into their arguement.

Profit sharing was huge then too Flyer1015. Sometimes hitting 15% for multiple years, along with the stock options. Those guys cleaned up.

The payrates are now alot higher than then. I'd say we are still doing just a little better than okay.

So 40+ years of profit, year after year. Stability in an industry that's unheard of.

You don't like it, don't apply. Work for VA. Good luck there.

That was when legacy carriers took concessionary contracts and SWA didn't. But prior to 9/11, and throughout its existence, SWA was the bottom barrel in 737 pay and still required a pilot to obtain their own 737 type rating. So what's your excuse then?
My excuse is "I didn't work there then."

Instead of a "if you don't like it, don't apply" why not a "we should get SWAPA to put this on the table for negotiations next time." You know, to get in line with the industry standard. Pay, profit sharing, stock options do not justify this kind of practice.

Instead of a "if you don't like it, don't apply" why not a "we should get SWAPA to put this on the table for negotiations next time." You know, to get in line with the industry standard. Pay, profit sharing, stock options do not justify this kind of practice.
Let me get this straight, you really want to work at SWA but can't scrape the cash together or are not smart enough to have another company /military foot the bill so you want SWAPA to change our contract which already has a no pilot pays for training clause, right?

You little minded folks can't seem to understand everyone pays for training: your private pilot license, commercial, instrument, multi, CFI, a lawyer pays for his school, same for Dr's, same for plumbers, same for contractors. Maybe the other airlines suck so bad they have to let the riff raff in who come unprepared... News flash: NOT SWA.

I see it's time for another round of "I got nothing else, so I'll play the Southwest PFT card again!"

Why do you keep harping on this? Seriously? Different airlines have different minimums. For SWA, it's ATP, 737 type, and 1500 turbine PIC hours. Other airlines require less hours, or no type, or not even ATP. It's up to them to decide what they want, and up to you to get it if you want to apply there. SWA doesn't require a 4-year college degree; others do. Why don't you give grief to Delta for requiring a college degree of their applicants when we don't? Why don't you give grief to airlines requiring ATP when some others don't? Clearly this is just the piddly-crap you've come up with to bash SWA. 'Cause you don't like our minimums? If that's all you've got, then I feel pretty good about my choice of employer.

Why does SWA still require it? I don't know for sure. In the beginning, I suppose it was to make sure that you really wanted to work here (a new airline) and weren't as likely to bolt after training and stuff. Nowadays, while clearly they could probably do without, it still ensures that SWA attracts applicants who really want to be here. Plus, this way, they know you're qualified to be a captain when you start; fewer surprises later. Also, since they know you're qualified on the only airplane we've got, that allows the interviewers to concentrate on finding out about your personality, and whether they want to sit next to this guy for hours at a time.

To answer your other question about the six-month thing, and if they "fire you" if you dont' get the type rating by then. You actually only get "provisionally hired," without the type if you pass the interview, but you can't start newhire training until you get the type rating within six months (that is, finish satisfying the company's hiring minimums).

Well, there you go--answers to your questions. Although I suspect you really weren't looking for real answers--you just want to bitch about Southwest. However, it really is as simple as Scoreboard says: if you don't meet the minimums for any job position (whether that be so many hours, an unrelated college degree, or whatever rating or ratings), then you can't apply. If you wanna' bitch, then knock yourself out. However, you'd be better off utilizing your time applying to a company whose minimums you DO meet, or work to increase your personal qualifications. Your choice.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back