• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwests-4q-profit-slips-higher-122155406.html

Southwest's 4Q profit slips on higher costs
Despite higher fares, Southwest Airlines 4Q profit drops to $78 million on increased costs

By David Koenig, AP Airlines Writer | Associated Press*****–*****3 hours ago
DALLAS (AP) -- Southwest Airlines Co. says fourth-quarter earnings fell by nearly half on higher spending for fuel, labor and maintenance.
The airline's revenue rose slightly, however, as the average fare climbed almost $8 higher than a year ago.
Southwest also said that bookings for the first three months of 2013 look strong. It said that based on bookings and ticket prices so far, a key revenue measure should rise by 2 percent to 3 percent in January compared with the same month last year.
Southwest, the nation's fourth-biggest airline, said Thursday that net income was $78 million, or 11 cents per share. That's down from $152 million, or 20 cents per share, a year earlier.
Excluding items such as fuel contracts, the net income would have been 9 cents per share, beating the 7-cents-per-share forecast among analysts surveyed by FactSet.
Revenue ticked up 1.6 percent to $4.17 billion but fell short of the $4.20 billion that analysts expected.
Expenses rose faster, however, by 3.1 percent. That includes a 4.5 percent increase in labor costs and a 13 percent jump in maintenance as the airline continued to overhaul the cabins inside many of its planes.
Spending on fuel, the airline's biggest expense, rose a modest 0.7 percent. Southwest estimated that its fuel bill in the first quarter, which ends March 31, will drop to $3.30 per gallon from $3.44 in the first quarter of 2012, which CEO Gary Kelly called "an encouraging trend."
The average fourth-quarter fare on Southwest and its AirTran Airways subsidiary was $148.02, up 5.4 percent from $140.38 a year earlier.
Passengers flew 1.4 percent fewer miles on Southwest than a year earlier, and planes were less full — 79.6 percent occupancy, down from 80.5 percent.
For all of 2012, Southwest earned $421 million, up from $178 million the year before and its 40th straight profitable year, which Kelly said was "a remarkable feat and a record unmatched in the airline industry."

Received well by Wall Street. All airlines doing well the last 3-6 months. I think 2013 earning are going to be good as well.

Southwest Airlines (excluding one-time items):

$330 million net profit for 2011
$417 million net profit for 2012
$725 million net profit for 2013 (average of 18 Wall Street analysts estimates)

Southwest is doomed!

Southwest Airlines (excluding one-time items):

$330 million net profit for 2011
$417 million net profit for 2012
$725 million net profit for 2013 (average of 18 Wall Street analysts estimates)

Southwest is doomed!

When Mike "Lorenzo" V D V sends a letter out this week saying we cost to much he will be screaming the sky Is falling! But we don't need single engine taxi because it won't save money...and in the latest news the director of light bulb operation has been promoted to the VP of Staplers and is receiving a salary of $975,000.

When Mike "Lorenzo" V D V sends a letter out this week saying we cost to much he will be screaming the sky Is falling! But we don't need single engine taxi because it won't save money...and in the latest news the director of light bulb operation has been promoted to the VP of Staplers and is receiving a salary of $975,000.

I hope yor kidding , I interviewed for that job and I am waiting to hear if I got . :)

So what will profit sharing look like this year? Is it some derived formula that they have to plug into the supercomputer and wait a month until it spits out a numerical value?

Our operating profit was down a little versus 2011 while our net profit was up a little. I would guess our profit sharing percentage will be 3% (the 2011 amount) +/- 1%. I think we find out within the next 2-3 weeks.

Latest resources

Back