• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA 4Q profit slip amid higher costs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So what will profit sharing look like this year? Is it some derived formula that they have to plug into the supercomputer and wait a month until it spits out a numerical value?

It is a formula. They usually announce the amount during one of the Mesaage to the Fields, which is right around the corner. It gets funded in September every year.

SWA profits off its own pilots every time they force them to buy their own type ratings. They better be making money.

Defensive are we?

If you didn't pay for the 737 type, that means you got it from somewhere else, either another airline, through one of those scholarships, or won it in a raffle.

Fact remains, despite SWA's ever historical profitability, they make pilots obtain their own 737 types beforehand, whereas every other airline takes care of that when you're hired. Not an ultimatum that you have 6 months to go obtain it...

So why are you defensive about this practice?

Last edited:
Defensive are we?

If you didn't pay for the 737 type, that means you got it from somewhere else, either another airline, through one of those scholarships, or won it in a raffle.

Fact remains, despite SWA's ever historical profitability, they make pilots obtain their own 737 types beforehand, whereas every other airline takes care of that when you're hired. Not an ultimatum that you have 6 months to go obtain it...

So why are you defensive about this practice?

That's a clown question bro, as any SANE pilot would notice, your first year pay would be $53,352 at SWA's 78 hour guarantee or $36,960 at VA's 70 hour guarantee. Most would gladly pay the $7,000 to get on the right list. Of course you would upgrade faster at VA and bring home a minimum of $103,320 as a Captain in your 4th year pay. And that guy who went to SWA would still be an FO only bringing in a minimum of $111,384. So yeah, I guess many are defensive when it comes to explaining the reasoning behind paying for your own type rating. If it has to be explained to you, you obviously have no clue on how you research an airline for possible employment. That, or you interviewed and were rejected. My guess is both.

That's a clown question bro, as any SANE pilot would notice, your first year pay would be $53,352 at SWA's 78 hour guarantee or $36,960 at VA's 70 hour guarantee. Most would gladly pay the $7,000 to get on the right list. Of course you would upgrade faster at VA and bring home a minimum of $103,320 as a Captain in your 4th year pay. And that guy who went to SWA would still be an FO only bringing in a minimum of $111,384. So yeah, I guess many are defensive when it comes to explaining the reasoning behind paying for your own type rating. If it has to be explained to you, you obviously have no clue on how you research an airline for possible employment. That, or you interviewed and were rejected. My guess is both.

So the excuse is higher pay than VX? Why are you comparing a legacy SWA to a new entrant LCC? Why not compare yourself to United and Delta? They too have comparable rates for the 737, yet, don't require you to bring your own rating. And not to mention, even if your excuse is valid, the pay thing is only valid post 9/11, in the last 10 years. That was when legacy carriers took concessionary contracts and SWA didn't. But prior to 9/11, and throughout its existence, SWA was the bottom barrel in 737 pay and still required a pilot to obtain their own 737 type rating. So what's your excuse then?

But prior to 9/11, and throughout its existence, SWA was the bottom barrel in 737 pay and still required a pilot to obtain their own 737 type rating. So what's your excuse then?

I will put a SWA captain W2 against any other airline you pick prior to 2001.

You do not know what you a talking about. Just another SWA, hater.

PLC.... I know, I know I have a small johnson :)

Latest resources

Back