Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Survey: Now that we all have our W-2s....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agree we are just at will hourly employees, no longer the highly respected profession it used to be, now we are the bad guys.

Always seems crass to talk money, and it does seem like braging, but I do find it somewhat interesting what people really made and how much they were away from home.

I would guess that all of us could always make a little more, but at what cost. Me personally, I value my time at home and do not fly extra, you can not put the vale of time home on a W-2.

I like last years thread better that discussed block hours and time away from base, that kept the whole dollars issue out of the discussion.

I know I can always look at the pay rates, but that does not always tell the real story.

If this thread bugs you don't read it.

1-tacan-rule said:
You people have no class and no scrupples.

You deserve to have your jobs taken by people willing to work for 1/2 what you make realizing that that is still too much to be getting paid for what little you do.

NO class?? How about you... stating that we "deserve to have your jobs taken by people willing to work for 1/2 what you make realizing that that is still too much to be getting paid for what little you do".

The last time I checked... this was an "AVIATION" Forum... and if Pilots want to discuss industry pay (like an airline payscale is a big secret), then whats it to you and the rest of the babies here that seem to come back here every 2 hours reading and posting here about how shameful his thread is.

Here is a grand idea.... if you don't want to discuss pay, then move along... and let the grown ups talk.... since there is nothing here for you.

Classless.... no... but many of the dissenters do seem quite spineless.

Oooooh... run along... you might get offended... we're talking about pay here..... give me a break.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It would be different if this were around the watercooler, a cocktail party, or if we actually used our real names with faces and addresses.

I was a little disturbed, at first, but when you realize that this is basically an anonymous board, and no one is compelled to read or post, then it's OK.

I find it interesting.

A few months back there was a post asking about when a SWA FO would break a 100k for the year.. I answered it and was basically called a liar, even by my own kind. So when this forum came out I found it interesting as to what everybody else was up to in the industry.

All these posts are about facts (from the W-2)... We have all read the posts about..lowering the bar, working for 1/2 of what the other guy gets, ruining the profession, the wal-mart of the skies etc....

I would rather know facts, then listening to a discussion about "saving the profession" from guys who really should only care about saving their company.

Not to mention, I see what I might be making if FedEx actually hired me back in 2001.

Last edited:
Here are the more important facts:

Out of the $124K:

$25200 in income tax.
5450 in SS tax.
1800 in medicare.

$2200 in ALPA dues.
1551 in insurance (pre-tax)

I'll have to admit that when I first saw the title of the thread I thought it was in bad taste. But reading through it I figured it provides good information for guys on what people are actually making. There is this big taboo in the States about asking people how much money they make and/or how much money they pay for something, etc., etc. That taboo doesn't exist in a lot of other parts of the world. I can't tell you how many times I was asked how much money I make in Taiwan. At first it was a big shock, me thinking that was a pretty rude question to ask, but eventually you get used to it. People in/from Taiwan and China will often ask that question. You can answer or not, but it is always best to explain why you are not willing to answer if you don't want to say.

Here are the more important facts:

Out of the $124K:

$25200 in income tax.
5450 in SS tax.
1800 in medicare.

$2200 in ALPA dues.
1551 in insurance (pre-tax)

...and here is the reason I posted what I did to begin with.

From my gross income the amount deducted for the above is a grand total of 0.

Being an expat does have it's advantages :D .

TP

Why don't you guys start posting your credit card #'s also??

It's great so many folks are making some good coin, but take a lesson from those of us not so fortunate who have had the rug pulled out from under us. SAVE YOUR MONEY ! Sock it away for a rainy day, ..... because some day when you least expect it ........... your gonna need it to weather out a furlough, a bankruptcy, or a long term medical issue. And no matter how well your airline may be doing now or how many people you have junior to you, it CAN happen to you !

Hey, to all of you holier-than-thou people out there embarrassed about this "classless" thread, if you don't want to read it - DON'T READ IT. Some people might be genuinely interested. Quit crying and move on...

Latest resources

Back