Sure, Blow Off That College Degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, they are facts all right.... only in his world.:D
My facts are doing just fine, that is the beauty of a living in a free country, we can have different ideas and free to express those. That is why you and I wore the uniform. :beer:

You're absolutely correct, a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Admittedly, some of the most intelligent people I've met and worked with never completed their degree. Alas, that's not how hiring departments pick and choose candidates - there's just not enough time get to know every applicant. A college degree is often desired by many major airlines. The cull has to be made. Sure, airlines that require a degree may relax a degree requirement when supplies get tight - but the candidates hired first get the seniority. Top tier candidates as designated by hiring departments get hired first.

Does every major airline have pilots without a degree? Yes. Are they in the statistical minority? Yes. Will a pilot without a degree likely be a top tier candidate for a legacy? Not likely.

Not having a degree doesn't make someone a leper, but it limits options and can stymie progression.

Perfectly stated.

Bull$hit, those less educated could not transition from the DC-9 to the Airbus, many had to be let go. What did the company do, they dummy downed the Airbus course by 75% between 2000 and now.

Also, I have seen guys go to the wrong page numerous times in the QRH because of the lack of knowledge of the English language.

Even as recently as last year, had a captain toss the IPAD behind him because he couldn't figure it out.

There are many other duties other than just flying the plane.

I am not saying go to Bummblee freakin state and take freakin Art, go to a decent school with a decent major and you will get something out of it.

So these dumb guys work with you and they don't have a degree? How did they get to the same place as you without one?
What a joke of a post. You may have your degree(I guess that makes you smart) but you sure are ignorant. I still don't get why you care so much about what other people have and don't have.

Bull$hit, those less educated could not transition from the DC-9 to the Airbus, many had to be let go. What did the company do, they dummy downed the Airbus course by 75% between 2000 and now.

Also, I have seen guys go to the wrong page numerous times in the QRH because of the lack of knowledge of the English language.

Even as recently as last year, had a captain toss the IPAD behind him because he couldn't figure it out.

So these dumb guys work with you and they don't have a degree? How did they get to the same place as you without one?
What a joke of a post. You may have your degree(I guess that makes you smart) but you sure are ignorant. I still don't get why you care so much about what other people have and don't have.

Dumb? Where do you see me calling anyone dumb? Joke of a post?

I just tried to explain what I have witnessed first hand. The majority of guys who couldn't get through Airbus school were captains so they were ahead of me, not the same place as me. Last year, going to Europe, the captain tossed his IPAD in the bin before we took off.

Why do I care? Well just one example is the captain who tried to put a switch in a position it wasn't supposed to be in. The manual was clear. Three hours into the flight he goes I think you were right.

I would go on but your single digit IQ would get overloaded.

Answer this, what part of my previous post makes me ignorant? Those things happened.

Dumb? Where do you see me calling anyone dumb? Joke of a post?

I just tried to explain what I have witnessed first hand. The majority of guys who couldn't get through Airbus school were captains so they were ahead of me, not the same place as me. Last year, going to Europe, the captain tossed his IPAD in the bin before we took off.

Why do I care? Well just one example is the captain who tried to put a switch in a position it wasn't supposed to be in. The manual was clear. Three hours into the flight he goes I think you were right.

I would go on but your single digit IQ would get overloaded.

Answer this, what part of my previous post makes me ignorant? Those things happened.

Unless you knew the education of all of the pilots you were talking about you would be ignorant of their background.

You are ignorant of my background since you seem to think but don't know(lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact) what it is. I do not have a single digit IQ.

Based on your other posts you seem to be saying that these guys could not do their job as well as you because they were less educated. I assume since you seem to think you need a degree for this job that you were making a connection.

Since you now understand the word ignorant go look up arrogant.

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct, a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Admittedly, some of the most intelligent people I've met and worked with never completed their degree. Alas, that's not how hiring departments pick and choose candidates - there's just not enough time get to know every applicant. A college degree is often desired by many major airlines. The cull has to be made. Sure, airlines that require a degree may relax a degree requirement when supplies get tight - but the candidates hired first get the seniority. Top tier candidates as designated by hiring departments get hired first.

Does every major airline have pilots without a degree? Yes. Are they in the statistical minority? Yes. Will a pilot without a degree likely be a top tier candidate for a legacy? Not likely.

Not having a degree doesn't make someone a leper, but it limits options and can stymie progression.
Agreed if you want to get a job at a legcy the 4 yr degree is a box checker. but you also will not get that interview with considerable TJ time including TJ PIC. You can not get that while in college, but you can get work on a degree while building TJ time.

There are many ways to skin a cat; many have the idea that the only way is 4 years of college followed by your first job. This they feel is the only way anyone should do things is, "The way I did it?. If anyone asks me about college and pursuing a flying career, I will recommend he not go to college full time, but follow the other time tested path where I have seen too many people succeed. That is fly full time, do your degree on the side, build time, build your resume. I will not debate the fall back value of a college degree, as I have stated many times it is nearly worthless after not being used for 20 years. The degree is only needed at the last step. Pilots get hired because they have TJ PIC. The full time college guy at age 25 has 0 TJ PIC, the non-traditional path guy has 1000 TJ PIC, both have 4 yr. degrees who gets hired?

BTW: If someone does not to work for a legacy and is happy working at a LLC making $200K, it is not role anyone no matter how well educated to pass judgment upon them for their career choice

Unless you knew the education of all of the pilots you were talking about you would be ignorant of their background.

You are ignorant of my background since you seem to think but don't know(lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact) what it is. I do not have a single digit IQ.

Based on your other posts you seem to be saying that these guys could not do their job as well as you because they were less educated. I assume since you seem to think you need a degree for this job that you were making a connection.

Since you now understand the word ignorant go look up arrogant.

I know you dropped out of college or never went to college.

Tell me I am wrong.

Again the WSJ questions the value of a college degree. Check it out

http://www.wsj.com/articles/game-of-loans-1434063962

Will College Pay Off? A new book on a Guide to the Most Important Financial Decision You’ll Ever Make.”Game of Loans"

A college degree may guarantee more income over a lifetime on average, but it says nothing about what you are likely to earn.

Mr. Cappelli dissects the oft-repeated rhetoric that a college degree guarantees you more income over a lifetime. Sure, this is true on average, but it says nothing about what you are likely to earn. Alumni of elite schools probably would have done well in life without the Ivy League christening. Plus, the data often track people who graduated decades ago, telling today’s students nothing about what they can expect to earn. The reason that college graduates are still earning more is in part a function of college graduates swiping jobs typically reserved for high-school graduates, who are then displaced. About 60% of parking-lot attendants have some college education.

Here’s something to rattle already anxious parents: Your child isn’t all that likely to finish college in four years—or perhaps ever. Recently I tapped my information into an online graduation rate calculator managed by UCLA and discovered that only about four in 10 Kates—white females who scored fine on standardized tests and earned good high-school grades—will graduate on time. A little more than six in 10 cross the stage within six years. And the rest of us? The website doesn’t divulge.

Directions to this tool come a few pages into Peter Cappelli’s “College tuition has outpaced inflation for three decades, and employment prospects for graduates are grim: More than 40% end up with a job that didn’t require a college degree, according to Federal Reserve data. So it’s precisely the right moment for a book to help 18-year-olds and their parents make this important educational and financial decision.

It’s a big task, and Mr. Cappelli, a Wharton professor, only chips around the edges, aiming to show that not all degrees are equal and that it is dangerous to mortgage your home on behalf of your child’s success—things anyone reading the book already knows. His answer to the book’s central question—will my degree prove worth the investment?—is a resounding

Let's face it, college isn't for everyone nor is everyone cutout for it. If your IQ is mediocre and/or you just don't want to put in the effort, a good trade school is a perfect fit. If you don't even want to go that route, there are plenty of layman work out there that'll pay above minimum wage. Just remember, you'll have to put your back into it. The pay for plumbers, electricians, mechanics, computer repairman, etc. vary by a great margin. A useless college degree can be a waste of money; too many people study Alcohol Management and Underwater Fire Prevention.:laugh: However, even a useless college degree will offer a second chance where as no college degree will lock you out for advancement, says corporate HR.This is the world we live in. Maybe it's just me but I don't know of anyone who said, "when I grow up, I want to be a plumber, electrician, gardener, mechanic, etc.".

Last edited:
Let's face it, college isn't for everyone nor is everyone cutout for it. If your IQ is mediocre and/or you just don't want to put in the effort,

So if you don't get a four year degree, you are low intelligence or lazy Now I have to find that other WSJ article about all the successful people without degrees. And if college people are so smart why are companies testing college grads to see if they have learned anything. I can dig that WSJ article up also, although I think I have already posted it. I have to put you in that elitists category, because every chance you get you smack down anyone who is not a college grad

BTW: My grandson wrote a 29 ACT and had a Naval Academy nomination. I bet well above almost all the college graduates here, but he did not go to college, he joined the USMC. He wanted to serve his county. Is that because of his low intelligence and laziness.

Latest resources

Back