• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sure, Blow Off That College Degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All making less (and have not so desirable work rules) than their peers at the legacies and/or major airlines who require college degrees.
Never argued against that one, yes you need a 4 yr degree to get on at a legacy, but I hear that some are starting to post "preferred" on their web sites. The point is you don't have to know anything. An on-line 90 credits for life experience in Gender studies will fit the bill the same as a BS in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan.

I have posted the 4 year degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane and is not the only path to a successful middle class life style.

BTW: (and have not so desirable work rules), you are telling us that all those non-degreed pilots at SWA, Atlas, JB, Spirit don't have good jobs? I think many working at those might not agree with you.

Last edited:
Never argued against that one, yes you need a 4 yr degree to get on at a legacy, but I hear that some are starting to post "preferred" on their web sites. The point is you don't have to know anything. An on-line 90 credits for life experience in Gender studies will fit the bill the same as a BS in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan.

I have posted the 4 year degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane and is not the only path to a successful middle class life style.

BTW: (and have not so desirable work rules), you are telling us that all those non-degreed pilots at SWA, Atlas, JB, Spirit don't have good jobs? I think many working at those might not agree with you.
With the exception of SWA, the rest of those folks are working for less compared to their counterparts in the industry. Just take a look at their pay rates and work rules.

Don't confuse pilotyip with facts.
What facts would those be? The facts that a lot of posters here think JB, Atlas, VA, and Spirit are good jobs. Jobs that lots of pilots are pursuing, giving each other high fives when they get the interview and then the job offer. Those facts?

Last edited:
What facts would those be? The facts that a lot of posters here think JB, Atlas, VA, and Spirit are good jobs. Jobs that lots of pilots are pursuing, giving each other high fives when they get the interview and then the job offer. Those facts?

Weren't we talking about quantity and quality, which are objective and not subjective. I have no doubt that JB, Atlas, VA and Spirit are "good" jobs. I know some folks who work at these airlines and they are completely happy, for the time being. However, looking at them from a strictly numbers point of view, there are "better" airlines that pay far more and have better contracts (oh, surprise.... they require a 4 year degree).

Are you taking a break from hanging out in the fractional section and telling them how bad unions are?

I have to call BS on your BS, we have had 3 DC-9 CA's go to Spirit without college degrees, they are all CA's now, well except one he went to VA as first year CA.

All making less (and have not so desirable work rules) than their peers at the legacies and/or major airlines who require college degrees.

Additionally, Spirit picked them up because they know those pilot (% wise) will not be able to leave for a major. Saves them training cost.

Did I mention they lightened up the course :)

I guess i'll have to tell the FAA to remove my A320 type from my cert because I don't have a degree and must therefore be unable to fly one! I'll be sure to throw away my ipad too because theres no way I can figure it out without that degree hanging on my wall!

Naw Bro, the A320 family was built to supply third world countries, it's just that the initial courses went way overboard, they removed all the hard stuff for ya, your type is safe, rest easy.

Very true not all college grads have student debt, just like a college degree has nothing to do with flying airplane

You're absolutely correct, a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Admittedly, some of the most intelligent people I've met and worked with never completed their degree. Alas, that's not how hiring departments pick and choose candidates - there's just not enough time get to know every applicant. A college degree is often desired by many major airlines. The cull has to be made. Sure, airlines that require a degree may relax a degree requirement when supplies get tight - but the candidates hired first get the seniority. Top tier candidates as designated by hiring departments get hired first.

Does every major airline have pilots without a degree? Yes. Are they in the statistical minority? Yes. Will a pilot without a degree likely be a top tier candidate for a legacy? Not likely.

Not having a degree doesn't make someone a leper, but it limits options and can stymie progression.

Latest resources

Back