• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sully and Jeff Skiles LGA-CLT today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for putting that tool in his place.

Maybe the idiot can tell us how effective closing the outflow valve (2.5 Sq/ft?) would have been when probably 150+ sq/ft of lower aft body fuselage skin was ripped open by the impact.

The ditching sw also closes the pack inlet doors. With those doors open water would enter and tear off the under-fuselage fairings. Had those doors been closed it is entirely possible the body skin would not have been torn.

Last edited:
Meet Jeff...

This months (Oct.) Flying Magazine has a nice little article on Jeff Skiles - the forgotten hero. Les Abend does him some justice and tells his story and background in his monhtly column. He had 20K too, ya know. Poor guy just came off IOE too!!! :eek:

The ditching sw also closes the pack inlet doors. With those doors open water would enter and tear off the under-fuselage fairings. Had those doors been closed it is entirely possible the body skin would not have been torn.

But wait, C150ETOPS doesn't want to hear that.......... can I hear a Wut Wut??

Bye Bye--General Lee

ableone,

As I mentioned, I don't fly the A320. Thanks for the info. I would note that from the pics I saw, the damage to the lower aft body started aft of the center pack/wheelwell fuselage with no visible evidence of tearing aft. It appears the damage came as the lower aft body contacted the water in the flare, but will wait for the NTSB on that one. Not sure how the pack doors could take 80mph water into them as it settled.

"But wait, C150ETOPS doesn't want to hear that.......... can I hear a Wut Wut??"

G-Lee,

If you had any knowledge of this, you would have brough it up before. Perhaps you can explain the nose up attitude with water that entered the aircraft forward of the center of gravity if the pack doors were a factor.

It's not often that one side is a total ****************************** on this board, (ok, maybe it is), but G-Lee ranks in the top 5 for his knowledge on the subject.

Water entering through the open outflow valve would have a similar destructive effect on the tailcone area.

Latest resources

Back