• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sully and Jeff Skiles LGA-CLT today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...The "ditch switch" is on the ditching checklist. it is 3 pages long, and totally obsolete at 3000 ft. The immediate threat in this case was a dual engine failure, which would warrant the dual engine flame-out in-flight restart checklist. These guys attempted to regain thrust all the way in. What would YOU have done General? oh master of the skies.

First, I might have told the aft stew NOT to accidentally open the aft door if we touch down in water. Next, I would have started singing "Cry me a RIVER" by Justin Timberlake, and started eating my $7 piece of pizza from Sbaro's.(it tastes better with mounds of chilli peppers all over it, and one sprinkle of cheeze)

Our dual engine failure immediate action item checklist really isn't that long on the 757/767, and might be able to be done with minimum inside looking. If we were aiming for the river, I might want to scan for any other traffic (like boats, barges, or hydrofoils) that the Capt or PF may not see. Sully pretty much made the decision to ditch, and he had to quickly. Just think how many people now know about a "ditch switch"? Thanks for that Sully. If you have time and you are landing in the water, I bet more people will include that switch into their scan just before impact. Why not, eh? And, I hope you, C-150ETOPS, weasel, and McDoosh all have fun loving each other.

Bye Bye--General Lee

He even has the ALPA issued "all about me", "1960's era" mustache. Classic. His picture should be on the back cover of ALPA magazine.

First, I might have told the aft stew NOT to accidentally open the aft door if we touch down in water. Next, I would have started singing "Cry me a RIVER" by Justin Timberlake, and started eating my $7 piece of pizza from Sbaro's.(it tastes better with mounds of chilli peppers all over it, and one sprinkle of cheeze)

Our dual engine failure immediate action item checklist really isn't that long on the 757/767, and might be able to be done with minimum inside looking. If we were aiming for the river, I might want to scan for any other traffic (like boats, barges, or hydrofoils) that the Capt or PF may not see. Sully pretty much made the decision to ditch, and he had to quickly. Just think how many people now know about a "ditch switch"? Thanks for that Sully. If you have time and you are landing in the water, I bet more people will include that switch into their scan just before impact. Why not, eh? And, I hope you, C-150ETOPS, weasel, and McDoosh all have fun loving each other.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

Sometimes,..."silence is golden"

General Lee,

Since the non-issue of the ditch switch has gone right over your head, might I suggest your brief to the aft FA, and closing the outflow valve might be totally useless given the potential damage to the aft lower pressure vessel as in Sully's plane? Perhaps we can wait until the final NTSB critique on structural certification requirements for ditching transport aircraft?

As it stands in the Usair ditching, both of these items turned out to be not relevant to what happened, and both actions would have mattered just as much to the final outcome as Sully not collecting the raft survival bags, and passing out packets of drinking water to those standing on the wing.

But then again, if it works for you :erm:

...I sometimes wonder IF the "general" is someones KID starving for attention???

General,

Sometimes,..."silence is golden"

Well, welcome to FI. Maybe you are new to this, but this debate board is usually NOT silent. I am here for entertainment value, and have PMs from plenty that enjoy it. And if I am the only one who enjoys the humor, sobeit.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back