Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Study Finds Opening Love Field to Long-Haul flying would have Serious Conserquences

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
Since I am furloughed from AA and have moved to greener pastures I really could care less what happens to the whole Wright Amendment thing.

I just find it incredibly hypocritical that SWA now wants the Wright Amendment repealed when 30 years ago Herb himself signed off on the deal. The whole Wright Amendment was put into place to appease SWA so that they wouldn't have to move to DFW like everyone else. Now they are crying foul.
Danger,

I'm sorry for the furlough but it sounds like you have rebounded...congrats on getting back up & moving on.

In regards to your 2nd paragraph I believe the following synopsis of the events during that time might give the ready a slightly different perspective of what happened than your brief description.

History of the Wright Amendment
Southwest Airlines has been dedicated to providing low fares and dependable air travel to America for 38 years. In 1967, Southwest Airlines chose to liberate the City of Dallas from the exorbitant airfares that existed even then. Of all the cities and airports in the country, Dallas was picked to host the concept of a low-fare airline for all travelers. But no good deed goes unpunished, as they say, and for its efforts 38 years ago to bring affordable air travel to the Metroplex, Southwest Airlines suffered 12 years of nonstop litigation from DFW International Airport and its airline tenants. (We weren't very popular with the locals...they certainly had a track record of trying to hinder our growth...the WA was just the last way for them to do it in my view.) The first four years were spent just trying to begin service. Only after a final decision by the Texas Supreme Court, affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court, was Southwest able to begin service on June 18, 1971. By then, the litigation had cost Southwest millions of dollars, depleting virtually all of Southwest's financial capital-but not its will.

After losing the initial legal battle, competing airlines joined forces with DFW Airport and the Cities of Dallas and Fort Worth in a series of new legal bouts before administrative agencies and state and federal courts. The purpose of that litigation was to defeat Southwest by evicting it from Love Field in Dallas, the source of Southwest's competitive niche. That litigation continued, in numerous forms and before numerous forums, again including the U.S. Supreme Court. The last battle in this series was not settled until September of 1979, with one last regulatory ruling from a federal agency decreeing that Southwest could operate from Love Field, both for intrastate and interstate flights. Key paragraph...again showing the intent of the competition...there was "no compromise being sought....our competitors didn't want a compromise, they wanted us out of business.

During this 12 year period, the city Southwest wanted to liberate from high airfares made it a crime for a commercial air carrier to land at Love Field (a law that was later overturned by a federal judge as an abuse of law). Along the way, two of Southwest's competitors were indicted by a federal criminal grand jury for their role in the conspiracy to bankrupt the fledgling carrier. To the best of my knowledge no one in SWA has ever been charged with a crime in how we compete...was AA one of these parties? It would have been much easier for Southwest to pack up and move its low fare airline to another city but Southwest believed in Dallas and knew the citizens of North Texas deserved the Freedom to Fly. They, too, wanted Love Field to be the cornerstone of a budding competitive niche that is not dependent upon monopoly, but founded on close-in, non-hub airports that allow for quick aircraft turns and high productivity for both airplanes and employees.

In 1978, Southwest saw a ray of hope; the U.S. Congress passed the Airline Deregulation Act, establishing a national policy that would take the government out of the business of regulating which routes an airline could fly. AA still didn't stop their efforts to put SWA out of business...again Herb didn't go looking for a fight, it was brought to SWA. Congress acknowledged that open competition is the best means of determining air routes and fares, but memories are short, and Love Field would soon be excluded from this freedom with the passage of the Wright Amendment less than a year later.
Unsuccessful in beating Southwest into submission via the courts, DFW supporters made this local issue a congressional issue. House Majority Leader Jim Wright, without notice, without hearings, and without opportunity for public comment or informed debate, attached an amendment that banned any airline from engaging in interstate air commerce from Love Field to an unrelated bill. The U.S. Senate refused to go along, and forced a compromise, today's Wright Amendment, whose admitted purpose is to protect DFW Airport (and the airlines which serve it) from competition.

Ironically I believe one day the folks in N Texas will wake up & find the WA gone...it too will go the same way it was created....AA won't be consulted but a compromise will be reached by "politicians" & the bill will cease to exist or a phase out will be ordered....AA will be forced to deal with it just as SWA was forced to deal with it....does anyone want to bet that AA will be able to handle this "new situation" as well as SWA did 25 years ago?

Again Danger, I hope things continue well for you but I would respectfully disagree with your assessment that SWA was a willing partner to the WA...I believe the informed reader might come to a different conclusion. Cheers,

Dangerkitty said:
If competition is your argument then why doesn't SWA just come to DFW. DFW has been begging for SWA to launch service there.

If DFW is such a great airport to fly out of....why don't the powers that be let all the other airlines that are beating on their door, have those empty 24 gates?

If that DFW board is holding on to those 24 empty gates just for SWA, and turning down all the other airlines who want them....they are not doing a good job of managing their assets.

Tejas

At least my "retirement money" is MY money.

Chase,

What are you talking aout? AA always plays fair! Just ask Vanguard, Legend & Braniff!!! (i'm sure there is more)..:uzi: :eek:

peace out - V :D

chase said:
Danger,

I'm sorry for the furlough but it sounds like you have rebounded...congrats on getting back up & moving on.

In regards to your 2nd paragraph I believe the following synopsis of the events during that time might give the ready a slightly different perspective of what happened than your brief description.

History of the Wright Amendment
Southwest Airlines has been dedicated to providing low fares and dependable air travel to America for 38 years. In 1967, Southwest Airlines chose to liberate the City of Dallas from the exorbitant airfares that existed even then. Of all the cities and airports in the country, Dallas was picked to host the concept of a low-fare airline for all travelers. But no good deed goes unpunished, as they say, and for its efforts 38 years ago to bring affordable air travel to the Metroplex, Southwest Airlines suffered 12 years of nonstop litigation from DFW International Airport and its airline tenants. (We weren't very popular with the locals...they certainly had a track record of trying to hinder our growth...the WA was just the last way for them to do it in my view.) The first four years were spent just trying to begin service. Only after a final decision by the Texas Supreme Court, affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court, was Southwest able to begin service on June 18, 1971. By then, the litigation had cost Southwest millions of dollars, depleting virtually all of Southwest's financial capital-but not its will.

After losing the initial legal battle, competing airlines joined forces with DFW Airport and the Cities of Dallas and Fort Worth in a series of new legal bouts before administrative agencies and state and federal courts. The purpose of that litigation was to defeat Southwest by evicting it from Love Field in Dallas, the source of Southwest's competitive niche. That litigation continued, in numerous forms and before numerous forums, again including the U.S. Supreme Court. The last battle in this series was not settled until September of 1979, with one last regulatory ruling from a federal agency decreeing that Southwest could operate from Love Field, both for intrastate and interstate flights. Key paragraph...again showing the intent of the competition...there was "no compromise being sought....our competitors didn't want a compromise, they wanted us out of business.

During this 12 year period, the city Southwest wanted to liberate from high airfares made it a crime for a commercial air carrier to land at Love Field (a law that was later overturned by a federal judge as an abuse of law). Along the way, two of Southwest's competitors were indicted by a federal criminal grand jury for their role in the conspiracy to bankrupt the fledgling carrier. To the best of my knowledge no one in SWA has ever been charged with a crime in how we compete...was AA one of these parties? It would have been much easier for Southwest to pack up and move its low fare airline to another city but Southwest believed in Dallas and knew the citizens of North Texas deserved the Freedom to Fly. They, too, wanted Love Field to be the cornerstone of a budding competitive niche that is not dependent upon monopoly, but founded on close-in, non-hub airports that allow for quick aircraft turns and high productivity for both airplanes and employees.

In 1978, Southwest saw a ray of hope; the U.S. Congress passed the Airline Deregulation Act, establishing a national policy that would take the government out of the business of regulating which routes an airline could fly. AA still didn't stop their efforts to put SWA out of business...again Herb didn't go looking for a fight, it was brought to SWA. Congress acknowledged that open competition is the best means of determining air routes and fares, but memories are short, and Love Field would soon be excluded from this freedom with the passage of the Wright Amendment less than a year later.
Unsuccessful in beating Southwest into submission via the courts, DFW supporters made this local issue a congressional issue. House Majority Leader Jim Wright, without notice, without hearings, and without opportunity for public comment or informed debate, attached an amendment that banned any airline from engaging in interstate air commerce from Love Field to an unrelated bill. The U.S. Senate refused to go along, and forced a compromise, today's Wright Amendment, whose admitted purpose is to protect DFW Airport (and the airlines which serve it) from competition.

Ironically I believe one day the folks in N Texas will wake up & find the WA gone...it too will go the same way it was created....AA won't be consulted but a compromise will be reached by "politicians" & the bill will cease to exist or a phase out will be ordered....AA will be forced to deal with it just as SWA was forced to deal with it....does anyone want to bet that AA will be able to handle this "new situation" as well as SWA did 25 years ago?

Again Danger, I hope things continue well for you but I would respectfully disagree with your assessment that SWA was a willing partner to the WA...I believe the informed reader might come to a different conclusion. Cheers,

Chase,

Finally a SWA Pilot who can make a statement, back it up with some information and not hurl insults about pay and payback in the process.

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

However, reading through the information you posted, it seems to me (and I am guessing here) that the information you have posted is from SWA or a SWA friendly party. Just as I have been accused of here, since you are providing information that is biased to SWA I would only assume that I have to take it with a grain of salt.

Even though I dont fly for AA anymore I do want to see the airline succeed.

SWA can fly anywhere in the world it wants to from the North Texas area. All it has to do is move its operation (or part of it) over to DFW. The gate space is there, they have been given financial incentives to do so, and have even been offered free gate leases for a year.

For years SWA has been able to operate without the burdens of financial bonds over their heads that DFW imposed on the airlines flying from there. That was able to allow SWA to operate from DAL at a much lower cost than AA, Braniff, Delta et al. If SWA is to have the Wright Amendment repealed than I think it is only fair that much of that bond money be repaid.

Plus since the original intent of the CAB was to have all airports closed to Commercial Air Traffic in the DFW area except for DFW Airport, I think that closing DAL to commercial air traffic should be another option if repealing the Wright Amendment has to be explored.

Again, I no longer have a dog in this hunt but I still dont see why SWA can't just come to DFW like all the other airlines were required to do since it opened. Back in the 70's when SWA was a little intrastate airline and DFW didn't fit into their business plan, I can understand why they would want to stay at DAL and fly under its restrictions. Now that SWA is much bigger with much bigger asperations I think the only fair thing for them to do is to go to DFW IF they want to fly anywhere in the US out of North Texas. Just like all the other airlines are required to.

Tejas-Jet said:
If DFW is such a great airport to fly out of....why don't the powers that be let all the other airlines that are beating on their door, have those empty 24 gates?

If that DFW board is holding on to those 24 empty gates just for SWA, and turning down all the other airlines who want them....they are not doing a good job of managing their assets.

Tejas

I don't have a clue to the reasons. I dont work for the DFW Airport Authority so I really can't comment as to what the reasoning is.

I haven't been in the Dallas area since I moved at the beginning of this year so quite frankly I dont even know what the gate situation is. I do know that SWA has been offered a sweetheart deal to come fly out of there.

SWA/FO said:
At least my "retirement money" is MY money.

Chase,

What are you talking aout? AA always plays fair! Just ask Vanguard, Legend & Braniff!!! (i'm sure there is more)..:uzi: :eek:

peace out - V :D

And SWA is the very cradle of civility amongst airline competitors...just ask Muze.

Chase,

Thanks for the biased recap post. I love how SWA writes stuff that makes it sound like they are the only company who has had to fight to stay in business. I do like that the article openly owns up to the niche SWA sought to preserve at Love. The article fails to highlight the degree to which this was a back alley bait and switch by Herb and Lady Bird and the fact that the only real legal action taken, was to REMOVE Braniff who was matching your routes at Love. Without exception, every Braniff guy I fly with maintains that they were told every airline tenant at Love was going to move to DFW. When SWA did not go Braniff (and everyone) was pi$$ed! Braniff stayed to try to compete with you but were forced out by court order. So the wellspring from which your airline spawned was not so much a lovely little niche but rather a legal ambush.

Where is the equity in a repeal of the WA? Your airline has been enabled by the positive aspects of the agreement to the extent that it is very likely the main reason the airline is what it is today. Now, your airline is ready to come out from behind those protections and rather than open up operations at DFW, you want a REVERSAL on the agreement! Again, where is the equity in this? Equity treatment for the airlines that went to DFW, to the people who built DFW, to the North Texas economy? Low airfares to a very small number of cities is not going to cut it. Equity too in the form of some type of "soft landing" for AA. AA is relatively strong in the face of all the non-market, geopolitical churn of the last four years. All of which, I might add, has been a windfall to your airline. Which highlights something interesting: What is the real issue here? Is some of the non-market, geopolitical churn negatively affecting the mighty and precious SWA? Do you need to start flying longer distances from Love because people might start to drive and forego the frustrations of air travel? Well, if that is at all true, I say: you made your bed--sleep in it! Or move to DFW.

The soft landing (equity treatment) due to AA should pattern the sort of gracious gift given to SWA in the form of Love Field. Just as SWA was given an advantage to start operations, AA should be allowed to continue operations. Afterall, SWA only wants this brand of competition now, at this time, because AA is hurting. SWA has always shirked the sort of heads up competition that could really help North Texas travelers.

Flopgut, you really dont like SWA do you? You also ramble on a lot. The airline industry is a business. SWA is in the business to make money. You file for BR protection, we try to change outdated laws. We might win, we might lose only time will tell.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back