• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stealth Age 67 to 70

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I ran across a SWA FO who looked well over 60. It turned out he was also already 60 when the rule changed and he went back on the line as an FO. Industry wide, I wonder how many guys did the same? I can't imagine it would be that many.

About 40 returned to SWA. CAL had 14 age 60+ guys in the training dept that returned to the line with seniority after the age changed (disputed by the union). Idk how many did elsewhere... For the most part, this rule change was only about seniority.

There was once a large number of guys who would turn 60 and go fly overseas. That's no longer going to be happening. Hopefully this very long five year span's end will have a rising tide effect for the entire [world] pilot profession and we can all see some gains. Unfortunately, that is exactly what this thread is about stopping. They want to (once again) leverage against the future demand to get more for themselves. As far as meeting the needs of the previously "discriminated" against pilots who "lost pensions"? This last 5 years has apparantly not helped their plight at all.

Last edited:
Longevity based pay scale (vs two tier CP/FO) would solve the problem of delayed upgrades affecting retirement savings. Better retirement plans would help too... Easy to blame greedy boomers, harder to fix the real problem...industry wide erosion of pilot retirement benefits, and a pay scale that adversely affects half the pilots (FOs)...

It most certainly is happening. And if you'd like to confirm yourself I can get you in contact with CAL ALPA legislative affairs. Specifically, old guys are asking FAA Administrator for waivers past 65 kinda like were given to ATC.

Not their fault?! Pilots have always lost pensions... Hang on, did you not get the same advise about 30 years ago?! Obviously not. 401K="luxury"? YGTBSM Dan?! They all just got 5 more years at the top, what other "luxury" does the profession owe them?

Bottom line: The age got increased. It happened; The arguement you once had needs to be updated. You need to let some social enforcement pass thru your lips and advise your fellow old pilots that you all took a windfall and now need to take responsibility and leave. You either need to be professional enough to do that, or ethical enough to admit that you all just want to drink upstream of the herd longer.

Dude...Gear up, shut up, I'll tell you when I want your opinion. I'll give my seat up when they pry my cold dead ass out of it LOL!

Dude...Gear up, shut up, I'll tell you when I want your opinion. I'll give my seat up when they pry my cold dead ass out of it LOL!

Would be funny, if it weren't so sad.

This was said in our latest union email about the ALPA BOD meeting items discussed, for what it's worth:
"And in the legislative arena, ALPA will seek to maintain the current 65-year mandatory retirement age and oppose any increase."

This was said in our latest union email about the ALPA BOD meeting items discussed, for what it's worth:
"And in the legislative arena, ALPA will seek to maintain the current 65-year mandatory retirement age and oppose any increase."

Yeah, but not everyone always has complete confidence that ALPA is always upfront about what it is really doing, neither is everyone sure they have total confidence in ALPA to do the right thing.

The VAST MAJORITY of pilots opposed ALPA's support of the 60 to 65 change.

How many times have we seen ALPA act contrary to the will of the membership, even while ALPA leaders voiced assurances they would follow the will of the members...

Yeah, but not everyone always has complete confidence that ALPA is always upfront about what it is really doing, neither is everyone sure they have total confidence in ALPA to do the right thing.

The VAST MAJORITY of pilots opposed ALPA's support of the 60 to 65 change.

How many times have we seen ALPA act contrary to the will of the membership, even while ALPA leaders voiced assurances they would follow the will of the members...

Now I see..... Mitt Romney, the master of flip-flop, is running ALPO!

I'm quite sure I have no such confidence.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back