Status of Flight Options Including Fleet Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

What's the current situation at Flight Options? Are pilots still being furloughed? How many are on the street?

What about the addition of Phenom 300s? Is that still the plan? Will the Phenoms basically end up replacing the Beechjets on a one-for-one basis? How soon are the Phenoms expected to arrive and how many in 09? Any updates? The Phenom 300 looks like a pretty solid performer (certainly far better than the Beechjet).

I guess the long-term future fleet composition would be Legacies, Citation Xs, Hawker 800XPCs and Phenom 300s - right? Let's hope the economic situation improves for all fractionals so that hiring begins again (I am assuming in 2010).

What's the current situation at Flight Options? Are pilots still being furloughed? How many are on the street?

What about the addition of Phenom 300s? Is that still the plan? Will the Phenoms basically end up replacing the Beechjets on a one-for-one basis? How soon are the Phenoms expected to arrive and how many in 09? Any updates? The Phenom 300 looks like a pretty solid performer (certainly far better than the Beechjet).

I guess the long-term future fleet composition would be Legacies, Citation Xs, Hawker 800XPCs and Phenom 300s - right? Let's hope the economic situation improves for all fractionals so that hiring begins again (I am assuming in 2010).

I guess all the Flight Options pilots are out flying. Any updates? PMs are welcome too.

The reason that you aren't getting many responses here is that I don't think anyone can give you an accurate answer. The only ones who have any idea are in upper management, and not posting on FI about future strategy. Right now, all we do know is that the Phenom is part of the go-forward fleet. I think they start arriving towards the end of 2009. How many Beechjet owners will renew their contract in the Phenom and/or how many new owners will it attract is anyone's guess. Logic would suggest that the Hawker will start to be replaced at some point, but nothing has been announced, so I couldn't tell you with what or when. The Citation X is unique with it's speed, so there really isn't a competitor A/C, as of now. The Legacy is hard to beat when you compare cabin size to cost (both aquisition and operating), so it is probably a keeper... but it is no Gulfstream and won't be marketed against them in the future. There have been rumors of adding GIVSP's or GV's, and the training program has been approved, but we'll know it is happening when we either get an announcement or the first one shows up on the ramp at CGF.

Last edited:
The reason that you aren't getting many responses here is that I don't think anyone can give you an accurate answer. The only ones who have any idea are in upper management, and not posting on FI about future strategy. Right now, all we do know is that the Phenom is part of the go-forward fleet. I think they start arriving towards the end of 2009. How many Beechjet owners will renew their contract in the Phenom and/or how many new owners will it attract is anyone's guess. Logic would suggest that the Hawker will start to be replaced at some point, but nothing has been announced, so I couldn't tell you with what or when. The Citation X is unique with it's speed, so there really isn't a competitor A/C, as of now. The Legacy is hard to beat when you compare cabin size to cost (both aquisition and operating), so it is probably a keeper... but it is no Gulfstream and won't be marketed against them in the future. There have been rumors of adding GIVSP's or GV's, and the training program has been approved, but we'll know it is happening when we either get an announcement or the first one shows up on the ramp at CGF.

Thanks for your update. I hear what you are saying. Clearly disappointing that management continues to be uncooperative and unwilling to share more information. The concern about maintaining existing customers (contract renewals from Beechjet to the Phenom) is a good point and I am sure ordering the Phenom 300 was an effort to secure those renewals - you need a competitive airplane (strong performer) at a relatively "cheap" price to keep their business. Especially in these lean times.

There have been rumors of adding GIVSP's or GV's, and the training program has been approved, but we'll know it is happening when we either get an announcement or the first one shows up on the ramp at CGF.

When I left Options in 2001 they were starting a GIV fleet. What ever happened to those? How long did that program lasst the first time? Anyone know?

Johnsonrod, don't feel snubbed by no responses from Flops pilots. Since management reads this board, they can get a read on what some or most of the pilots feel about what is happening with Flops during the final phase of negotiations. We need to hold our cards very close to the vest at this point in the game. But since I am on the subject, we would like to caution them in not wasting valuable time with purposing what we hear could be a substantially below average pay structure. It would be an embarrassment to all involved when it gets overwhelmingly voted down. Not to mention it would further tarnish our image in the market place where we are poised for a comeback.

I will now go silent again.

...Clearly disappointing that management continues to be uncooperative and unwilling to share more information...

I don't think it is a matter of not wanting to share, but more a question of not really knowing. I think that they are probably exploring lots of possibilities, and there is also probably a difference of opinion of where H.I.G. wants to do with the company, and what Kenn Ricci wants to do. For now, he probably still has to get permission from the board for any big decisions... but that could change soon.

When I left Options in 2001 they were starting a GIV fleet. What ever happened to those? How long did that program last the first time? Anyone know?

It never went past 2 GIV's. Now Kenn owns one of them outright, and the GIV owners mostly went to Netjets. If a Gulfstream program materializes, hopefully he can lure them back and/or attract some new owners.

It never went past 2 GIV's. Now Kenn owns one of them outright, and the GIV owners mostly went to Netjets. If a Gulfstream program materializes, hopefully he can lure them back and/or attract some new owners.

Didn't Kenn have a local company as the prime owner on that GIV? I thought he did what he used to do in the CW days and take a minority position in it to keep the client under control? Has that changed?

( I remember when Kenn was spelled with only one "n" and he was flying a Cheyenne. I guess his importance dictated the name change. )

Not very good news

As former flops guy, I cant help but to wonder whether or not flops will make it through their current and past problems. It just seems to get more and more bleak. The fact that all the other frac's were granted federal money and flops was left out in the cold is not a good sign.

I heard this week from a buddy on the inside that big layoffs are in the near future. Old airplanes, poor reliability, low morale, and now a extremely weak economy imho, could finally bring the fractional industry to 3 majors vs. 4.

I sincerely hope for my few remaining buddies that have not left yet, that I am wrong in my assumptions. When I left, I felt like the ship was starting to list. Now I feel like 2/3 are under water and going down fast.

Latest resources

Back