• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Safest form of transportation?

Top 3 most dangerous jobs.

1) Fisherman

2) Pilot

3) logger

I don't see any other aviation type job on the list.

Interesting. You are right. You're a commercial pilot, right? Safest form of transportation? Agreed?

Who makes it the safest form of transportation?

Pilots? Or perhaps those in management that put the systems and standards together to mitigate risk?

The answer is those in management that mitigate risk.

All honorable jobs....

But none have done what I have to get where I am. Otherwise they would be here.

Here is a CLUE ... Compare the Interview process for hiring of pilots with that of other positions at an airline or aviation company....

Look, just accept the fact that being a pilot is a $200K per year job and don't whine about it if you are not a pilot and make less.... Do something about it.
Get your ATP and thousands of hours of experience Flight Instructing, fly night freight and charter ... etc.. While living on Ramen noodles and Mac and Cheese. Then apply to the airlines .... Its that simple.

Its like a Sports team... the is the admin, sales, groundskeepers, concession stands personnel etc....

But the Players on the Diamond are the ones with the investment in Baseball.... And they Have a Union....

Last edited:
It's not always about the money...

All honorable jobs....

But none have done what I have to get where I am. Otherwise they would be here.

Here is a CLUE ... Compare the Interview process for hiring of pilots with that of other positions at an airline or aviation company....

Look, just accept the fact that being a pilot is a $200K per year job and don't whine about it if you are not a pilot and make less.... Do something about it.

Get your ATP and thousands of hours of experience Flight Instructing, fly night freight and charter ... etcc.. While living on Ramen noodles and Mac and Cheese. Then apply to the airlines .... Its that simple.

Geez ... should I start whining because I don't earn as much as my Doctor or my Electrician and plumber?

$200K per year thats what we need to get a decent ROI an what we invest in this career.

What exactly have you done that make you any more special than any other pilot? I've worked with guys that flew with the 160th that didn't take that attitude with them. I'm certain you haven't flown at that level.

The exact point I was trying to make fischman is that many of these folks invested financially just as deeply as you did, but chose not to fly for a living. They accepted the lower wage for what they considered a higher quality of life.

Have you ever interviewed for any other position in aviation? Probably not. You sure as heck haven't interviewed for a senior management position where the vetting makes hiring a pilot look like beginners day.

You don't seem to appreciate the fact that others, myself included, do other things in the industry. You can't do what I do unless you've had years of experience. Each job has different skills and none of it is learned overnight.

It's not always about the money...

So you are comparing vetting Senior management with Pilot Hiring....

Good job. Both six figure careers. Now you are talking. Before I was thinking you thought everybody and their brother in support roles had as much invested in aviation as the Pilots.... But now I see you have put us in the right category.

Interesting. You are right. You're a commercial pilot, right? Safest form of transportation? Agreed?

Pilots? Or perhaps those in management that put the systems and standards together to mitigate risk?

Really? Did you write a standard practice for say, landing an Airbus in the Hudson River. Pilots through their individual experience develop skills and instincts that are not covered in any manual or standard practice, we like to call it thinking outside the box. There are things that cannot be taught by a book. There is no way for any checklist or any SP that can cover everything that can happen. Sometimes you just have to figure it out as a crew between the two guys in the cockpit and get the job done, that my friend is irreplaceable. Back to Flight Options thread now, I hope you guys come out of this and thrive, as a furloughed CS guy, we do not need any more on the street. Good luck.

This is why you have never been and never will be a professional pilot. Yeah yeah, I know, you lost your medical. I'm glad that you didn't take care of yourself like you should have and lost it.

Hey B19 Flyer,

Do you know what the original topic was for this thread? Perhaps you could take your nonsensical, blabbering cr@p to another thread...

I want to thank 52Vincent for finally taking control of this thread and answering the original questions.

Hey B19 Flyer,

Do you know what the original topic was for this thread? Perhaps you could take your nonsensical, blabbering cr@p to another thread...

I want to thank 52Vincent for finally taking control of this thread and answering the original questions.

Thanks JR, but it appears my hijack attempt was foolhardy.
Lets all just get along and try to stick to the original topic of this thread.

Have a great day!!!

I'm certain Capt. Sullenberger would disagree entirely with your conclusion.

Latest resources

Back