Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hmmurdock

Greetings..

I was Looking on airline pilot centrals website and saw that spirit is accepting applications and hiring. Can anyone who works for them tell me a little about them such as contract, quality of life, reserve, commuting etc. I also noticed on Spirit's website that there is no specific amount of PIC turbine time required for the application. It did mention total time, turbine, multi etc, but not pic. How much time is considered competetive there? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GonFishin said:
Probably around 5000 TT !

I made a few calls and found that it'll probably take about double that amount of time. Unless you have previous time in the right seat of a Gulfstream Beechliner. Then the Spirit CP loves you.

They did hire a lot of ex-UAL and TWA pilots last year, and I hear that those pilots were extremely high time.

:)

Do a search on Spirit! (for more info)

Contract - OK and getting better (amendable 01/07 ALPA).

Pay - not so good but getting better slowly..........10% raise coming in 5 months. Check out airlinepilotcentral.com of course.

QOL - OK if you live in base (FLL or DTW) and getting better.

Commuting - Had to give it up..don't know anymore. Quite a few Commuters @ NK.

Spirit is in the process of changing their fleet, md-80 to A319/A321.

In summary, no big complaints...... life is pretty good (OK) and getting better all the time but that is all subject to change of course.

Just let it do what it do baby!

Blue Skies

Last edited:
In general, Spirit is ok. But as with any growing business, or an business that is struggling to grow, risk exists.

MX Rider said:
Do a search on Spirit! (for more info)

Contract - OK and getting better (amendable 01/07 ALPA).

OK, maybe. That depends upon your basis. In my opinion, this contract is worse than the last, but that is partly because management takes liberties with this that they didn't/couldn't take with the last contract. The getting better part is purely speculation. The company shows ZERO intent to make this contract better in the future. In fact, they have demanded concessions on numerous occasions these last few years.

Pay - not so good but getting better slowly..........10% raise coming in 5 months. Check out airlinepilotcentral.com of course.

I agree, but don't forget that the company has been/is trying to scare us into giving back that ten percent.

QOL - OK if you live in base (FLL or DTW) and getting better.

Unless you happen to be a Florida boy who just got displaced to DTW. Lately, Spirit has given a lot of points to applicants who live near a base, but is now displacing them. I don't think that some of us think that QOL is getting better.

Commuting - Had to give it up..don't know anymore. Quite a few Commuters @ NK.

Spirit was once commuter friendly, not anymore. See above.

Spirit is in the process of changing their fleet, md-80 to A319/A321.

In summary, no big complaints...... life is pretty good (OK) and getting better all the time but that is all subject to change of course.

Just let it do what it do baby!

Blue Skies

man, oh man, where do I start. No complaints Huh?

About 25% of us are shorted pay in any given month, for the first complaint.

Next, the phone rings off of the hook for junior assigns.
And, it rings at hours that are contractually forbidden. Like in the middle of the night.

The company has recently suspended a union rep who refused an obviously illegal trip. BTW, they had to reinstate him, and the fallout will continue.
I'll return to my opening statement. Risk exists. BUT, the reward could be great. If Spirit's new investors ever manage to rid the management team of the old guard and replace them with personel who actually desire to succeed in the airline business, we will go far. Our costs are low, at least until the first Airbus goes out of warranty or requires a heavy inspection.

Now for the good part. The people you get to fly with at Spirit are darned good people. We have pilots on staff with widely varied backgrounds. From retired Colonels to bush pilots, from pool cleaners to real estate moguls. I'd guess that we are about one quarter ex-military, but we haven't hired the stereotypical ex-mil pilot. We've got lots of old C130 boys, a few C9 guys and even an F100 guy or two, but I'll bet anyone a c-note that they can't pick out the retired F106 pilot. We've got pilots with hundreds of Atlantic crossings in single engine Cessnas and pilots with hundreds of crossings in a 767.

Our check airmen/DE's/instructors are top notch people who (mostly) attempt to impart knowledge and build skill instead of beating you up in the sim.

If you are the kind of pilot who is able to take a chance on a company which might not be here in five years. Give us a chance. The upside is that you could be an international A330 pilot in that same five years. (Yes the Big Bus rumors continue:D)

enigma

Last year four pilots hired by Spirit from USA Jet. They had between 4000 and 6000 hours with over a 1000 TJ PIC and DC-9 time, but not necessarily DC-9 type. All were local DTW pilots.

man, oh man, where do I start. No complaints Huh?

I said no BIG complaints.......there are always going to be some complaints and the several people who just simply love to complain!

Ya Know

MX Rider said:
I said no BIG complaints.......there are always going to be some complaints and the several people who just simply love to complain!

Ya Know

When I have to spend my time making the company get my pay correct, I call that a BIG complaint. I don't love to complain, I'm just tired of getting the run-around from payroll and scheduling.

mx, I understand that some of us don't like complainers, neither do I. However, we are seeing way too many complaints, complaints from otherwise positive people. I'm glad that you try to be positive, but eventually the perfum wears of and the pig smell starts to seep through. This string was started by someone asking about Spirit as a prospective employer and I think he deserves an honest answer. I'm certainly not anti-Spirit, but the truth must be told.

enigma, one of the FLL "complainers"

Note to all: FLL is full of "complainers" and DTW is full of "weak sucks" . That's a joke boys:D

I hears ya Brotha........just remember there are alot of fellow flyers in worse predicaments than us (ATA,FLYI,NWA?,UA? & others) but, things DO need to improve at the Spirit Hissy. In this crazy industry, the term "big complaint" is getting redefined on an hourly basis. Almost everybody is getting a whiff....if not a taste of the steaming poo sandwich. If we keep hangin together and applying the pressure maybe...just maybe we can clean this mess up! Then it will be steak sandwiches for the duration....ok for at least a little while....ok maybe cheese burgers.

MX
one of the FLL "semi-complainers"

OK one of the FLL "complainers"

Last edited:
Spirit not being commuter friendly? Meanning mostly daily trips, not commutable at all, some commutable? Thanks in advanced guys.

Latest resources

Back