Spirit Airlines Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJET said:
Spirit not being commuter friendly? Meanning mostly daily trips, not commutable at all, some commutable? Thanks in advanced guys.

Early shows, late releases. The contract requires five day off blocks when possible, it's NEVER possible. The lines in FLL are fifty percent relief lines, meaning that the company builds the lines after the bid closes.

But part of the reason I say that we are no longer commuter friendly is that they have given locals such an advantage in the hiring process. They obviously prefer South FL, or DTW locals. Those pilots are much easier to junior assign.

But again, I must say.......again, Spirit could turn into one of the better jobs in the industry. If you're a person who can be happy dealing with a growing/struggling company, come on down.

enigma

The CBA does call for five day blocks on off days whenever possible and we don't see many schedules (but there are some) with the fivers in them. However, in the event the company can't or should I say won't use the fiver they are required by the CBA to build all lines (regular, relief, & reserve) with four day blocks on off days. This requirement is complied with by the company. The only exception to this is at the request of the pilot during the bidding of relief lines. A pilot can also waive this requirement by picking-up trips from open time. The problem with the fiver is that the language in the CBA does not require its use and it does not contribute to high productivity. The company obviously avoids its inclusion in the schedules.

As far as commutability, I think the four day blocks help all the commuters; the rest is left to senoirity. The MD80 fleet is being retired company wide and quickly phased out of the FLL base. This fact is inflicting severe damamge and extreme transformation to the FLL MD80 schedules. So, I believe that FLL MD80 commuters are probably hating life about now and will soon be commuting to DTW if they wish to stay on the 80 until it leaves the property. In general, I believe the fleet change is causing the majority of the scheduling issues. The transformation is something short of graceful. IMO, even though I am not a commuter, I have had lines in the past that seemed very commutable.

As far as problems between the pilots and the company, the main issues of late have been pay discrepancies, annoying (badgering) phone calls, and illegal phone calls. When I do not want to be disturbed I do not answer the phone (turn it off, vibrate, whatever). Works for me! Pay issues are a problem. I have been victoriuos in all my battles but it has been an unnecessary pain in my *ss.
They must be stopped!

Hope the info helps..........

MX

Just to set the record straight, Spirit has always hired pilots close to it's crew bases. Just ask those who commute from or have moved from: ACY, EWR, MYR, CLE, MLB Did I miss any. Spirit hired pilots who lived near all these locations when they were crew bases. If you join Spirit be ready to move or commute at a moments notice when they close the next base. Overall Spirit would be a great place to work if management would just stand up and abide by the contract they forced down our throats.

Forced to commute!!!

I think the answer is no but I will ask anyways. Does Spirit have commuting policy?
Are theere any upcoming changes on crew bases opening new ones or closing?

Yes. There is a commuter policy in the CBA. You need to have 2 flights that could have got you to work and notification to the company that you will not make it to work at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled work segment.

HHHhhhmmm....crew bases? It is just FLL and DTW for now and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I think right now DTW is staffed a bit heavier than FLL, however the company hq and training facility is in the FLL area.

MX Rider and Enigma thanks for all the info.
Do you happen to know how may Spirit plans to hire?
It is because of growth or people quiting?

Very few people (2 or 3 ?) have retired and maybe 8 or so have quit since the begining of this year, so I think it is very safe to say that we will be hiring due to an increase in flying hours. I wish I could give you a number but I do not have one. I will snoop around and see what I can find out. I do know that we will be getting at least 6-7 more Buses before the end of this year and they are trying to figure out a way to increase that number. Maybe someone will chime in with some more info during the silence.

MX

What about those 15 or so pilots displaced earlier this spring? Where are they now? Should they not be recalled first before they hire away?

They have all been recalled but I still have not heard how many of them are coming back. I would guess that some have moved on to other offers.

Latest resources

Back