• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest won.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If true, good luck to the ATA folks. In my few dealings with them they have been a great group of folks. Then again, so have the AWA and AAI folks. I have no idea where all this is going with SWA, but pride and reputation dictate that we will do our best to continue ATA's viability, or at least ease its transformation into a more specialized entity, other than through bankruptcy. I don't expect us to cut and run.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

TexaSWA said:
We're still as "scrappy and smart" as we ever have been, but now we have the money too.
TexasSWA, I love the attitude! I hope everyone at SWA allows cockiness to creep into their mindset while the new "little guys" rise to challenge you all.

Delville said:
TexasSWA, I love the attitude! I hope everyone at SWA allows cockiness to creep into their mindset while the new "little guys" rise to challenge you all.
Lighten up, Francis. As SirFLyAlot so aptly put it, just the fact that SWA moved decisively to block AAI's expansion at MDW in itself shows a lot of respect for them as a competitor. Rest assured, our head shed is indeed looking over their shoulder at AirTran, Jetblue, AWA et-al, and NOT underestimating any of them.

I'm glad it worked out this way...dont forget about the clause for the 3.5 million from ATA if anyone else secured the deal besides Airtran. Not a bad deal for AAI in my book.

fuzzy077 said:
I'm glad it worked out this way...dont forget about the clause for the 3.5 million from ATA if anyone else secured the deal besides Airtran. Not a bad deal for AAI in my book.
Yea, that's about equal to the "holdup" money they just got Sarasota/Bradenton. Looks like it's back to business as usual.

I believe "WE" the employees of SWA are the only ones that can ruin this great ride. That is why we must continue to hire the right people.

With that being said..... everybody I have ever met at ATA has been great. Who knows what the future will bring.

SirFlyALot said:
. . . . This whole episode also works to illuminate the fact that we are dealing with two very smart management teams heading both AAI and SWA.

AAI was smart to ink a deal for 14 gates at MDW. AAI was also smart not to accept a reduced number of gates nor up their bid to an unreasonable level for those gates. . . . . .

. . . Obviously, SWA's bid was not an attempt to assist ATA. . . . . .. SWA management sees AAI as a serious rival and serious threat and needed to move to thwart them. . . . .
. . . . . Way back when, SWA played the role of David. They prevailed by being scrappier and smarter than their larger and better-financed rivals. . . . . .

However, as SWA grows at an unprecedented pace and does so with the new moniker of "industry leader", I think there is a real chance in the long term that SWA will fall into some of the same traps that have tripped up large, industry leading airlines in the past. . . . . . .

Man, what a great post. Thanks for putting it way better than I could have.

What can I say? Congrats to the SWA and ATA employees. And, as my Dad used to say, "We shall see what we shall see".

To the guy who wondered "what happened" to me- as the late, great Mark Twain put it, "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated" (with apologies to Mr. Twain). I was sleeping off a red-eye and just saw the press release a few hours ago.

And, last, to Joe Peeonotz . . . . Remember what happened to the Norwegian Blue, with its "beautiful plumage". . . Squawk, squawk, thump. :cool:

Last edited:
According to telephone press interview by George Mikelsons.

Chicago Express will continue out of MDW and IND.

Now you can buy a ticket out of Flint on ATA connection, fly to MDW, then board a SWA bird to LA, then climb on the ATA 757 to Maui. Excellent! All three management teams now just have to figure out how to divy up the $29.00 fare.

Latest resources

Back