Southwest won.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best guess.

ATA will probably still furlough and drop to around 52 aircraft. ATA still needs to get out of CH11. ATA will still operate on it's own with management team support from SWA. Latest guess, around 140 but not more tan 300 pilots will be furloughed, hopefully not for long. ATA doesn't currently have a business plan. - Go Figure.

If SWA is really interested in making this code share agreement work, that's the real question in my mind, ATA would re-tool the airline to take advantage this extremely valuable relationship.

There could be some real exciting possiblities. Imagine buying a SWA ticket from Omaha to Europe, South America, Mexico and more. I could see SWA sculpting their international arm with little investment and exposure. This could be a Win-Win for both groups.

SWA and ATA pilots should immediately establish a line of communication. A trusting relationship should be developed with the goal of a stronger larger SWA, that includes ATA pilots as part of that solution.

again, IMHO.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that this couldn't have turned out any better for ATA and SWA. Of course for the ATA group, the AWA deal would have been best for completely securing jobs; however, I can't believe that in these economic times AWA and ATA combining would have saved many jobs in the long term. This allows ATA to continue operating as itself, while giving SWA the opportunity to code-share to international destinations and Hawaii. If ATA goes through with it's international flying in '06, this means a Southwest passenger could go from DAL to Cologne, Germany with maybe 3 stops. Dangerous to the majors whose lifesource is international flying.

A very interesting turn of events. It will be quite a ride in the next few years watching this one play out for both airlines.

AirTran throws in the towel:

AirTran Airways: Back on Original Expansion Path
Thursday December 16, 9:49 am ET

ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI - News), today said that while it was disappointed its bid for ATA Airlines' Chicago Midway gates was not successful, the airline will continue the expansion plan in place before the ATA opportunity arose.
"We saw Midway Airport expansion as a good opportunity, but we were not going to overpay for those assets. We congratulate the parties on the conclusion of the auction," said Joe Leonard, chairman and chief executive officer of AirTran Airways. "Before this opportunity came along, the airline had a successful growth blueprint in place, and we will continue to move forward with that plan."

AirTran Airways is one of the largest low-fare airlines operating America's youngest all-Boeing fleet, and, in the next year, the airline will take delivery of 19 new Boeing aircraft. In 2004, AirTran Airways will mark two major milestones -- it will surpass $1 billion in revenue for the first time and will post its sixth consecutive year of profitability.

Editor's note: Statements regarding the Company's operational and financial success, business model, expectation about future success, improved operational performance and our ability to maintain or improve our low costs are forward-looking statements and are not historical facts. Instead, they are estimates or projections involving numerous risks or uncertainties, including but not limited to, consumer demand and acceptance of services offered by the Company, the Company's ability to maintain current cost levels, fare levels and actions by competitors, regulatory matters and general economic conditions. Additional information concerning factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements is contained from time to time in the Company's SEC filings, including but not limited to the Company's annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2003. The Company disclaims any obligation or duty to update or correct any of its forward-looking statements.

Media Contact:
Tad Hutcheson
[email protected]

Judy Graham-Weaver
[email protected]

Falcon Jet 1 said:
If you really think a judge's decision will be based upon his political party, than you are dumber than your avatar looks.
Hmmm. Falcon, if you don't think judges lean one way or another, one might suggest not that you are "dumb", but perhaps a bit naive.

Doesn't this Southwest deal seem a bit anti-trust-ish to anyone?

lowecur said:
Well we know that ATA creditors are backing the deal. I wouldn't assume this means the ATSB until we get an official statement. That also includes the DOJ. I'm sure Daley will wait until Lorch has given his blessing before we hear what Chicago has to say.

Remember, nothing gets done till Daley gives his blessing. Daley is a democrat, is he not? The last thing he wants is some bureaucrat from the Republican Administration trying to arm twist him into siding with Southwest. The next few announcements will be interesting.

The last thing he wants is to put a lot of ATA Chicago employees out of work. Bad move politically.

"CAPTAIN" Seth. When pilots feel the need to put "Capt" in front of their name it usally means one of two things.

1. They are **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ty pilots who feel better by putting "Capt" in front of their name.

2. They have small tools.

I suspect both :)

P.S. Do you always feel the need to tell chicks that your a "PILOT"? Yeah, I thought so......

Latest resources

Back