• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Window

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im a SWA pilot. I've been here 6+ years and I love it here.

Im also a big fan of Delta Airlines.

I have a lot of close friends at Delta. I was very disappointed to hear that he had to share a hotel room during indoc and he had to pay for his own lodging during training after 2 weeks. To me, it's very unlike Delta.

My friend who has been there for 7 years showed me his 4 day trip sheet. I was surprised that it only paid 19.5. At SWA, it has to pay at least 26. (Yes, the pay methods are slightly different at each company.....hours vs TFP)

Delta greenslip (double pay) sounds awesome.

I have always had significantly more time off than Delta friends and have made significantly more than my friends who fly intn'l there.

Upgrade is going to be rocking at Delta!! SWA, not so much.

My day at SWA averages 3 legs per day. This 3 day has 9 legs, next 3 day has 6 legs. They each pay at least 21 at straight value. (But im getting 30 this week for premium.)

I still love Delta!! If I were a regional guy, i'd be honored to accept a job offer there.

Im also still happy to have come to SWA. I have no regrets!!

My point is, each company has its pros and cons. If it works for you, that's what matters.

15 years? Wow. How many legs would that be at the Corny? Maybe 50 legs per month, 600 per year, and that means 9000 legs! Yikes! And 5000 of those are into Texas, 1000 into Islip, and the rest into glorious places like Columbus, Cleveland, and St. Louis. Yes! That sounds Frigggen Fannntastic, and unbelievably exhausting.

That's the big difference between a LCC and a legacy. Variety, and the ability to try different fleets to fly fewer legs to see far off lands. As you get older, fewer legs are easier. At the Corny, that means just a 12 leg 3 day trip. Yes!

Bye Bye---General Lee

FWIW General saw decent pay two leg day trips out of DAL for OCT open time. SWA is going through a painful transition getting rid of the Texas interstate flying. While you may not like it, many passengers and ground personnel have made careers out of that flying. Gary Kelley is pointing SWA in a profitable direction. There is no arguing that. But he is prioritizing external customers first (shareholders) and the not the internal customers (employees). Which what all the hype, books and CULTure has been about since the beginning of time. The 15-18 year upgrade times are based solely on retirements and classic 737 replacements keeping the fleet growth at zero (oh BTW while increasing ASMs with larger replacement airplanes). It's probably better to plan for the long road vs the short. There are orders and potential growth, there could also be another merger/acquisition. Best just to focus on the facts.

FWIW General saw decent pay two leg day trips out of DAL for OCT open time. SWA is going through a painful transition getting rid of the Texas interstate flying. While you may not like it, many passengers and ground personnel have made careers out of that flying. Gary Kelley is pointing SWA in a profitable direction. There is no arguing that. But he is prioritizing external customers first (shareholders) and the not the internal customers (employees). Which what all the hype, books and CULTure has been about since the beginning of time. The 15-18 year upgrade times are based solely on retirements and classic 737 replacements keeping the fleet growth at zero (oh BTW while increasing ASMs with larger replacement airplanes). It's probably better to plan for the long road vs the short. There are orders and potential growth, there could also be another merger/acquisition. Best just to focus on the facts.

I am talking about those retirements and upward movement that results from it. You guys expanded during the Legacy bad times, but now great times have returned, and you are left with career stagnation. The legacies and LCCs have different models, with one fleet type at a LCC compared to many at a legacy due to different types of flying. That means fewer pilots needed at the LCC, with fewer pilots in the training pipeline at one time, not changing plane types.

So, my point here for prospective pilot applicants is 15,000 retirements at the big 3 vs a lot less at the LCCs means better opportunities at the legacies. It's pure math, and the legacies now pay as well or better, and huge profits means it will get even better.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I am talking about those retirements and upward movement that results from it. You guys expanded during the Legacy bad times, but now great times have returned, and you are left with career stagnation. The legacies and LCCs have different models, with one fleet type at a LCC compared to many at a legacy due to different types of flying. That means fewer pilots needed at the LCC, with fewer pilots in the training pipeline at one time, not changing plane types.

So, my point here for prospective pilot applicants is 15,000 retirements at the big 3 vs a lot less at the LCCs means better opportunities at the legacies. It's pure math, and the legacies now pay as well or better, and huge profits means it will get even better.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The OP inquired about SWA hiring though. Why don't you patiently wait for someone to inquire about Delta hiring

How's upgrade now at delta?
You've been talking this quicker upgrade for a while / years now-
When does it dip below 10?

It's already there.

As for SWA's upgrade, stop peddling BS, wave. Prospective SWA pilots have a right to accurate information so that they can make smart decisions, and you telling them that upgrade is 10 years is irresponsible. If SWA were to grow at 3% per year (highly unrealistic), I would upgrade after 19 years. Someone hired today, even with somewhat optimistic growth, is looking at well over 15 years to the left seat, probably closer to 20.

If you want to guzzle the kool aid, then have at it, but don't lie to people who have to make career decisions for themselves and their families.

Last bid the junior Capt bid (NYC MD88) was about 9450 out of 12,000 total. Retirements haven't really even started yet. When they do, and there are 5000+ coming, it will probably go to 5-6 years on property. Kinda like what you USED to do. There are bids every 5-6 weeks, only half of the 717s have shown up, the 757s being parked will be replaced directly by 737-900ERs, and 10 A330s and 45 A321s will also be coming in the next few years. So, huge retirements plus lots of incoming planes.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
It's already there.

As for SWA's upgrade, stop peddling BS, wave. Prospective SWA pilots have a right to accurate information so that they can make smart decisions, and you telling them that upgrade is 10 years is irresponsible. If SWA were to grow at 3% per year (highly unrealistic), I would upgrade after 19 years. Someone hired today, even with somewhat optimistic growth, is looking at well over 15 years to the left seat, probably closer to 20.

If you want to guzzle the kool aid, then have at it, but don't lie to people who have to make career decisions for themselves and their families.

I thought you were quitting???

Latest resources

Back