• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to build new international terminal at HOU

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Look at MCI for example. Non-stop service to: SEA, PDX, LAX, SAN, ABQ"...........

MCI-SEA 7 flights one non stop
MCI-PDX 9 flights one non stop
MCI-LAX 10 flights NO non stops
MCI-SAN 13 flights two non stops
MCI-ABQ 7 flights with one non stop

All these flights are for 22 June. 46 flights with 5 non stops. Yes they do offer non stop service. What is the frequency of that non stop service? What is the chance that you will be routed through a SWA base to get to your final destination?

Bam! You sure told him.

Did you purposely cherry-pick a Saturday, the day of the week when every airline in the world has a reduced schedule due to reduced demand?

Bubba

Not cherry picked.... how about a Monday? MCI-LAX.... 15 flights only three non stop.
How about HOU-LAX on a Monday? 20 flights and 4 non stops
IAH-LAX 16 non stops with at least that many with stops.

Look at the route map below. Select non-stop only.

"Hover your mouse over one of the cities on the map and you'll see all of the exciting places you can go from that city."

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/routemap_dyn.html?int=GSUBNAV-AIR-ROUTEMAP

Gee..... I wonder why there are so many flights in and out of SWA bases? Maybe because they have to connect their passengers to a connecting flight to get where they want to go?

Last edited:
Not cherry picked.... how about a Monday? MCI-LAX.... 15 flights only three non stop.
How about HOU-LAX on a Monday? 20 flights and 4 non stops
IAH-LAX 16 non stops with at least that many with stops.

Look at the route map below. Select non-stop only.

"Hover your mouse over one of the cities on the map and you'll see all of the exciting places you can go from that city."

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/routemap_dyn.html?int=GSUBNAV-AIR-ROUTEMAP

Gee..... I wonder why there are so many flights in and out of SWA bases? Maybe because they have to connect their passengers to a connecting flight to get where they want to go?
You simply don't get it. The vast majority of the non stops on SWA are the ONLY non stops available in that market other than those to a hub and spoke hub. Many customers are ecstatic to have a morning, afternoon and evening non stop option. That is one of the reasons they are choosing SWA over another carrier that doesn't offer a non stop to the destination of their choice.

With as many flights that go in and out of BNA it would seem as if everyone wants to go non stop to BNA. I guess I don't get it.
You're right, almost everyone that goes into Nashville would prefer to do it non stop. If your leaving SEA, MCI, STL, SAN, PHX, AUS, SAT, HOU, MSY, BOS, ORF, MDW, CMH, ORF, RDU, GSP, CHS, JAX, MCO, TPA or FLL, the ONLY airline you can do that on is SWA. NO OTHER AIRLINES OFFER NON STOP SERVICE FROM THESE MARKETS TO BNA EXCEPT SWA. The only reason those options are available to the traveling public is because SWA operates a point to point route structure.

Ok I get it now.

You offer one direct flight out of five to BNA from CHS and you claim point to point. Never mind on the other four flights you have to connect through BWI or MDW.

BOS to BNA nine flights with seven requiring a connection through MDW, BWI or HOU.

SEA-BNA.... nine flights but eight require a connection.

Maybe it would make more sense if you called it point to point to point service.

Ok I get it now.

You offer one direct flight out of five to BNA from CHS and you claim point to point. Never mind on the other four flights you have to connect through BWI or MDW.

BOS to BNA nine flights with seven requiring a connection through MDW, BWI or HOU.

SEA-BNA.... nine flights but eight require a connection.

Maybe it would make more sense if you called it point to point to point service.
Feel free to call it whatever you like but the fact remains the only non stops offered in multiple markets are offered by SWA. The reason SWA is able to offer those non stops is because they don't rely on the traditional hub and spoke model.

Just look at all the New England to Florida flying. Plenty of point to point. ALB-TPA, MHT-FLL, etc, etc.

Are there some flights that connect thru BWI? Sure, but you (as a px, have an option to go direct) if that's what you want. Same with the other cities listed. There are options for direct, or possibly a lower fare for one stop thru another city.

If you want to go non-stop.... ORF-BNA, SMF-SNA, or maybe BNA-JAX...who are you going to take? There's plenty of (pure) point to point examples. We may not offer those non-stops 8 times a day, but there are other options thru other cities if you desire.

Well if all you have to do is provide direct service a couple of times a day then Airtran did a fine job of point to point as well. I guess SWA did not have the monopoly on that.

Latest resources

Back