• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to build new international terminal at HOU

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yup, covered that too. It's not Southwest's job to provide "opportunity for competition" to other airlines; it's the job of the airports and aviation authorities. If and when Volaris, Interjet, etc. want to operate out of Hobby, and have serious intentions, then the airport itself will build or expand international facilities there. That's how it works, Flop. That's how it's always worked. But I suspect that you don't really want that, since you put up such a stink about having to compete against ONE airline flying international out of Houston. I can imagine how much you'll bitch if others join in.

That's pretty much totally wrong. In fact, if GK had said it's the City's responsibility to build from the start, they would have said "we already did and it's called IAH".

This mess is not over. Probably going to take a long time, but I think it will end up just like the WA. It won't end like you think it will.

Must be nice to compete with out having to pay ones bills or obligations all the time. Sure wish I could forgo paying a mortgage and still keep my house.

That's pretty much totally wrong. In fact, if GK had said it's the City's responsibility to build from the start, they would have said "we already did and it's called IAH".

This mess is not over. Probably going to take a long time, but I think it will end up just like the WA. It won't end like you think it will.

Have you seen the new terminal in dal? Surprisingly it looks like they somehow built in a international arrival area...can't remember the gates but two of them are walled off by a glass partition that leads to the secret chambers! I wonder if somehow they bought some pizza and said build in some customs and when Houston works out...maybe in a few years you can start another free love campaign and we will have no other choice but to set luv free again

As nifty as you guys thing your airline is, you no longer fly out of IAH. That's something I'm real happy about. You got booted out and I was part of it. I got a taste of it and I liked it; I want to do more of it. I tried to help what was left of my airline defend the free market in Houston, and I ended up watching while the quasi-ethical Houston mayor refused to gavel out your applause at the Council meeting and let you rub it in. So that's what I'm still pissed about.

Big cities in different countries build big airports, and then all the airlines use them. We compete directly, or we partner in some cases, but the airports are the market. You're expecting the red carpet be rolled out at their airports and don't intend to do the same for them. Do you not think Volaris, Interjet and Aero Mexico don't realize using Hobby will connect them directly to your network? One or two of them will want in on that. I hope awareness builds after the routes are announced as to how little opportunity for competition you've offered, and that before it's done you've got a half dozen airlines wanting in. you're hiding behind a mayor that isn't going to have any sway South of the border.

Flop,

Are you delusional? It was an embarrassment to United that your CEO didn't even show up. The only people they sent were a couple of lawyers on their lunch break. When the Mayor asked where Smisek was, they blundered around and said he had important business in SFO. He obviously didn't give a sh!t about Houston.

The whole thing was a waste of time, and you guys didn't even make the effort to show up. So why after several months do you show up here pissed off? It's over.

U want a fortress base that gives a few gates to the competition...easier to manipulate prices...sound very monopolistic...

As nifty as you guys thing your airline is, you no longer fly out of IAH. That's something I'm real happy about. You got booted out and I was part of it. I got a taste of it and I liked it; I want to do more of it. I tried to help what was left of my airline defend the free market in Houston, and I ended up watching while the quasi-ethical Houston mayor refused to gavel out your applause at the Council meeting and let you rub it in. So that's what I'm still pissed about.

Big cities in different countries build big airports, and then all the airlines use them. We compete directly, or we partner in some cases, but the airports are the market. You're expecting the red carpet be rolled out at their airports and don't intend to do the same for them. Do you not think Volaris, Interjet and Aero Mexico don't realize using Hobby will connect them directly to your network? One or two of them will want in on that. I hope awareness builds after the routes are announced as to how little opportunity for competition you've offered, and that before it's done you've got a half dozen airlines wanting in. you're hiding behind a mayor that isn't going to have any sway South of the border.
Yet your magical business just thumbed their noses at Houston and left for Chitago.

Flop,

Are you delusional? It was an embarrassment to United that your CEO didn't even show up. The only people they sent were a couple of lawyers on their lunch break. When the Mayor asked where Smisek was, they blundered around and said he had important business in SFO. He obviously didn't give a sh!t about Houston.

The whole thing was a waste of time, and you guys didn't even make the effort to show up. So why after several months do you show up here pissed off? It's over.

Former CAL employees showed up. Yeah, our current CEO didn't care to appear and we all wish he did. But I think he knew the mayor was going to approve this no matter what. The city council vote was 16-1, but later many members were indicating it was heavy handedness on the mayor's part that drove the vote. Additionally she pushed the city aviation department to support that piece of absolute fiction you guys wrote about what you were going to do for Houston.

We did a lot as the hometown airline. In fact, there is no comparison between SWA and CAL or now UAL. SWA has meant almost nothing to Houston over the last 40 years even though it was one of your first 3 cities. That's why the Chronicle poll that asked whether Hobby should go international was mostly in favor of "no". Most Houstonians are not fooled. There is no way you're going to create 10,000 jobs, or bring 1.6 billion to the Houston economy, or sell tickets to Bogota for $130. People in Houston know that's BS because you've been flying here for 4 decades and you don't do anything but send the money to Dallas. They aren't rooting against you (like I am) necessarily. They smell a rat and they know you guys wouldn't be trying to pull this if things had not changed at CAL. It's not like you were going to put the effort into Houston to surpass us. You're a penny pinching discounter that only came up with this bright idea because there was some blood in the water. So if what you claimed you would do with the terminal doesn't come to be, you can expect them to want to open it up to an airline that will, or maybe close it. It's going to be expensive to have two FIS running. Especially one just for you if you aren't living up to your promises. They sure as hell won't close IAH.

Last edited:

We did a lot as the hometown airline. In fact, there is no comparison between SWA and CAL or now UAL. SWA has meant almost nothing to Houston over the last 40 years even though it was one of your first 3 cities. That's why the Chronicle poll that asked whether Hobby should go international was mostly in favor of "no". Most Houstonians are not fooled. There is no way you're going to create 10,000 jobs, or bring 1.6 billion to the Houston economy, or sell tickets to Bogota for $130. People in Houston know that's BS because you've been flying here for 4 decades and you don't do anything.....

Really? The "average Houstonian" didn't want the opportunity to fly international out of a choice of airports, with an actual choice of airlines? They all wanted to stay tethered to one single airline, basically charging whatever it wanted, due to no real international competition? Is THAT what you're claiming? You don't actually believe that, do you? You must have a pretty low opinion of the locals there.

C'mon, man, now's your chance for some of that real competition that you were bragging about. You offer your brand of service, the way your business model dictates, out of your chosen airport; and we'll do the same with our preferences. Then you can legitimately "kick our ass."

Or not.

But this way, instead of having your CEO dictate, we get to let the consumer decide.

Bubba

On the contrary Bubba,I have a very high opinion of Houstonions. They didn't believe the 10,000 jobs or the 1.6 boom to the economy numbers. They don't want the expense of two operating FIS and building a 50 million dollar parking garage. Additionally they understand SWA once flew into Houston and they know enough about your history to understand you don't concede anything easily. So there must have been more to you leaving and to you thumbing your nose at the 7 empty gates IAH than you're letting on.

*edit* Here is maybe something we can agree on Bubba: I like Houston well enough that I can admit, if you can deliver 10,000 jobs and 1.6 billion to the economy (and sell a ticket to Bogota for $130) then this was the right thing to do. If SWA can't do that, then that terminal ought to be boarded up and FIS closed, and SWA needs to be told to put big boy pants on and go to IAH.

Last edited:
On the contrary Bubba,I have a very high opinion of Houstonions. They didn't believe the 10,000 jobs or the 1.6 boom to the economy numbers. They don't want the expense of two operating FIS and building a 50 million dollar parking garage. Additionally they understand SWA once flew into Houston and they know enough about your history to understand you don't concede anything easily. So there must have been more to you leaving and to you thumbing your nose at the 7 empty gates IAH than you're letting on.

You must have been great at dodgeball in grammar school! :)

You know why we "thumbed our noses" at the empty international gates at IAH. Do I have to repeat the explanation about all of our passengers being at Hobby, and forcing them to get across town to IAH to connect to international? While yours are already there? How about, just for once, YOU address that, Flop? And explain how that can be a fair competition?

And the average Houstonian isn't shouldering "the expense of [an additional] FIS and...50 million dollar parking garage." Bonds and PFCs pay for that, exactly the same as any other airport with expansion costs. But now, Houstonians will have a choice, instead of being forced to kowtow to the Unical monopoly. Again, the "American Way."

Good luck in the competition, Flopgut! I'm looking forward to it.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back