• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to build new international terminal at HOU

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
notice the flop doesn't answer that side of the equation, which will be long remembered by HOU.

It was a real bad deal, I wish we didn't change headquarters. I think it was a mistake. But the mayor made the wrong decision as well. I also don't think us changing headquarters elevates your operation at all (how do you think it does?). United is still, and has been for decades, one of Houston's largest employers. SWA has claimed a 10,000 job increase will result from this and I believe the city will hold you to that. I know this: former CAL Houstonians will be watching this close. If the new FIS slows down IAH FIS, if the 1.6 billion doesn't happen, or the jobs don't materialize that SWA promised, OR if South American and domestic carriers that want the same sort of access to Hobby facilities that CAL made available at IAH for competing carriers, then the mayor/city needs to answer and make changes.

You know why we "thumbed our noses" at the empty international gates at IAH. Do I have to repeat the explanation about all of our passengers being at Hobby, and forcing them to get across town to IAH to connect to international? While yours are already there? How about, just for once, YOU address that, Flop? And explain how that can be a fair competition?

Ok. You made a bad business decision. Using Hobby was short sighted. Why should everyone have to adjust to Southwest's bad decision? You basically admitted as much in the final language of the fix to the WA in Dallas [Secondary airport should not have international flights]. You don't have so much down there that you couldn't have easily moved the whole thing to IAH. Yeah, the 50 million [parking garage] is coming from PFCs etc, but it's money that would have gone a lot further at IAH. It's resources being squandered. What's the end play here? $200 million or so and a lot of ongoing expense to duplicate facilities already available? All so you don't have to compete directly with anybody?! ORD has UAL and AMR. That's what should have happened at IAH.

You just don't want to put the corndog next to our airplanes. Pure and simple.

I am sure tHe Houston flying public would like a choice of International airports especially the people who live down south. The traffic around Houston is dense and to try and cross the city at any time (especially rush hour) is a nightmare. The city is big enough to have two international airports - one large and one small,

I'm surprised Frank Lorenzo didn't crawl out from under his rock and publicly support Continental and decry their abandonment of Houston. After all, his love and legacy of Continental and all their dedicated employees is a Shining Chapter in Aviation history.

Idiots who don't know, or don't care about History, particularly their own, should STFU....

Ok. You made a bad business decision. Using Hobby was short sighted. Why should everyone have to adjust to Southwest's bad decision? You basically admitted as much in the final language of the fix to the WA in Dallas [Secondary airport should not have international flights]. You don't have so much down there that you couldn't have easily moved the whole thing to IAH. Yeah, the 50 million [parking garage] is coming from PFCs etc, but it's money that would have gone a lot further at IAH. It's resources being squandered. What's the end play here? $200 million or so and a lot of ongoing expense to duplicate facilities already available? All so you don't have to compete directly with anybody?! ORD has UAL and AMR. That's what should have happened at IAH.

You seem to be losing it now, Flop. I suggest you try to let it go.

We didn't make any such "bad business decision." Hobby works great for us domestically, and it will work great for us internationally. We admitted nothing of the sort about Dallas and the Wright Amendment. Even though that piece of sh1t, partisan, protectionist document is finally essentially going away, you're still using it against Southwest as a punchline. Nice.

The fact is, that the WA was essentially an unconstitutional writ of attainder. Look that up, Flop. After losing in every court in the land, multiple times, American finally got their paid-for politician (Rep Jim Wright (D-Ft Worth)) to stick it in an unrelated bill, so that American could finally get their way and have an enforced monopoly. The 2006 compromise that finally rid us of this unfair yoke included that "no international from DAL" stipulation, because it was the only way to get it done. Do you think we wanted to be barred from international flying out of DAL? No. We didn't want that. But we wanted to remain shackled to only Texas' surrounding states even less. That's the only reason for that tidbit. But I'm sure you knew that as well.

As far as your moronic statement about not wanting to compete with you directly ("corndogs next to [your] airplanes"), I think Ofacegangsta said it best. Or in one word, Flop: "Denver."

Again, how about YOU fly out of airports that YOU want to, and WE'LL fly out of airports that WE want to. It's pretty simple, really. Why do you seem afraid to do that? You know, you don't see us trying to tell you how to run your business model. How come you keep trying to make us follow your model? Who does that make look worried now?

Bubba

ORD has MDW as well. New York has three major airports. SoCal has five airports, and NorCal has three with competing service. Really, what is your point? Your posts are written with the emotion of a scorned teenage girl...

Latest resources

Back