Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest slam clicks- c'mon captains....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, but I've never seen the appeal of hanging out with the people I've just been locked in an aluminum tube with for 8 hours. If that's considered mandatory at SWA, just one more reason I'm glad to get out.
A lot of folks feel this way not because they're jerks but often because things are so hectic at home sometimes we just need a breather. As an FO I once a captain was pretty insistent he buy me a beer. I ended up being a captive audience for opinions and personal problems. I don't force the issue now. If it's not clear beforehand that we're going to meet I offer once after checkin and then let it go.

I occasionally buy a round for the crew but there is little doubt in my mind that when the F/A's ask me if I am coming down, they are usually just looking for someone to buy them drinks and nothing more so don't feel flattered when they ask. You are often just being used but if you want to think they want YOU to join them for your sparkling personality enjoy the deception. If I spend $25/night two nights a week on drinks or help pay for food that's $50 a week or over $2000 a year I would much rather put into my kid's college fund.

Wow, FA's buy me drinks, I really try to buy them drinks but they insist. Don't be so hard on yourself, maybe they really want to hang out with you.

Wave, you are kinda old school (me too) back in the 90's and early 2000's we (the crew) always went out for a drink domestically, we still do internationally sometimes.

So you are saying that a captain who has a moral objection to alcohol should throw out what he believes in just so you can have a free drink?

I wouldn't trust that captain.
Yeah when I was on probation the captain took the whole crew out for Chinese food. Prolly set him back $20. It was a while ago, you understand.

Had a captain pick up $400 tab in Athens (Greece not GA).

Last edited:
Wave,

Could it maybe be that guys who who have spent years worth of deployments in the Middle East flying combat missions don't want to hear how superior the training you received in the civilian world is?

Maybe they don't want to sit there and hear about how vile Foxnews is and how enlightened you are.

The culture is up to us to maintain--I agree with you on that. If folks aren't coming down to hang with me, it means they either have other pressing issues or they don't want to hang out with ME. Or I could just blame it on them.

Wave, maybe it is you that has the problem. I have never had a second thought when any crewmember "slam-clicks". Maybe they were tired or maybe they did not like hanging out with me. I could care less. The fact that you started a thread about this shows that you are the one with the issues. Why does the "culture" have to be about the cappy buying you a drink? If you want to go hang out at the bar, by all means go ahead and quit disparaging those that choose not to.

Are you slow?

At SWA PROBATIONARY crew don't pay for things.
EVERY SINGLE CAPTAIN AND SENIOR FO had drinks and meals picked up when they were ON PROBATION. After year 1, we're all adults.

I'm not talking about me getting anything. I'm talking about a few captains who are seem to think this 40 year tradition at southwest doesn't apply to them as me or my capts end up buying for the probie some other guy flew with.
It's my opinion that's really bad form.

Last edited:
You keep trying to convince people of this.
Truly making the worst of things aren't you pcl?

No, I just think it's a bit sad that you so desperately need the validation of the crew hanging out with you.

I'm with Wave on this one. Socializing and camaraderie are part of the formula that makes SWA a fun place to work!

It is especially important to keep the tradition alive by introducing new employees to the small pieces of the puzzle that when assembled become greater than the sum of the parts.

Of course, not everyone can make an appearance on every overnight. There is certainly no obligation to do so, but that activity does certainly bring us together as a team. To lose the desire to hang out and connect with crew members would fundamentally change a portion of SWA that is a large positive.

If this is part of the "CULT" in CULTure, then mark me down as a strong CULT follower.

Wave, I hate to bust your image of the tradition, but it was hit and miss for me when I was a probie. Guess what, it never hurt my feelings or made me think differently of pilots or the company.

You keep trying to convince people of this.
Truly making the worst of things aren't you pcl?

I believe this is a byproduct of zero-to-hero pilots. They have never had any fun in it. Ever. From the moment they were student pilots, it was strictly business. They achieved all of their ratings under the safety blanket of a 141 school and immediately went to their next "job."

No joyriding. No hundred dollar hamburgers. No enthusiam for the spectacle of aviation. To them the fomula is simple: Fly the plane. Go to hotel. Post about it on Facebook. Repeat.

It's sad really. There are great stories to be made in this industry.

Wave, I hate to bust your image of the tradition, but it was hit and miss for me when I was a probie. Guess what, it never hurt my feelings or made me think differently of pilots or the company.

Yeah me too. I was hired in the early nineties and probably bought for others as much as what was bought for me when I was on probation. No matter the tradition, partially fueled by folklore, I never expected anyone to buy anything for me.

Today as when I was first hired I buy when I can and when I find it to be especially worth the effort. What is mistaken I believe Wave, is this company wasn't built on buying someones affections, it was built on mutual respect. You know, the golden rule. That is what makes this place special.

This awesome culture is alive and well. Its just a bit different as time has a way of always changing things.

Latest resources

Back