Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest slam clicks- c'mon captains....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah when I was on probation the captain took the whole crew out for Chinese food. Prolly set him back $20. It was a while ago, you understand.
Are you poking fun at him that it cost far less than a bar tab would have, or are you genuinely grateful that he treated you to dinner?

Schedules have changed dramatically in last five months. Pushing envelope on duty and flight time as scheduled, put in any delays and you end up with 10 hrs in hotel and 12-14 hour duty days. Sorry, I have not been down more than three times in last few months due solely to schedule, don't take it personal.

With the awesome new "rest" rules, my average overnight has been reduced to around 12 hours or less, often getting to the hotel long after the bar is closed. Going down for debrief has become a rare occurrence.
Don't know whether it's FAR 117 or a new contract, but it's worse than just 12-hour layovers, it's the placement of them, squeezing in an extra duty period just because they can. Day one am fly west, day one late pm redeye, day two fly late, day three fly mid into min rest, day four fly early. Five duty periods in 4 days. Legal rest, yes, but where's the layover? Not a lot fun to go grab a beer at 7am or 2am. Slam click collapse.

Last edited:
So you are saying that a captain who has a moral objection to alcohol should throw out what he believes in just so you can have a free drink? Wave, culture has nothing to do with sitting around a bar watching married dudes try and score with the fa's.

Maybe he chooses to chat over a "free" Starbucks.

Good lord.
This has to be flame ^^^
Good try:)

You know they sell food and non alcoholic drinks at hotels.

If you don't believe in alcohol, praise Allah, and don't drink or buy alcohol. The simple answer is "sure" coffee works. But then again I know people who have a religious problem with caffeine too. Vegetarians don't have to buy wings either.

Do you understand the part where we said to "be you".?

Now if you're super judge mental you should be like that Facebook post and change that. Otherwise, do you.

How about we make this simple, re-read b6's and Ty Webb's posts and be your version of them. Give. decide we will be generous with each other, try to connect, have fun, and get to know the people we work with? Think that would be ok? Maybe try not to be dou<he-bags in the process?: , whether it's the try too hard to get laid types, drink too much types, or the judge mental religious or political types.

Think that could be easy enough?

I've had two co-workers commit suicide in my career. Obviously there is more to it, but there are far too many unhappy crew doing the job-
The road, can be a lonely life and take it's toll if you don't take charge of it.
Just refuse to think it has to be like that

And with that, I think I've said all that I can on this:)

Good night and good luck

Last edited:
Schedules have changed dramatically in last five months. Pushing envelope on duty and flight time as scheduled, put in any delays and you end up with 10 hrs in hotel and 12-14 hour duty days. Sorry, I have not been down more than three times in last few months due solely to schedule, don't take it personal.

Nobody would take that personal.
That's crazy by the way. Guess I've just been lucky.
I've just seen a handful of probies come down to the bar solo on their 17 hour layover.

This is FI, so it is what it is- in real life, this isn't hard

I occasionally buy a round for the crew but there is little doubt in my mind that when the F/A's ask me if I am coming down, they are usually just looking for someone to buy them drinks and nothing more so don't feel flattered when they ask. You are often just being used but if you want to think they want YOU to join them for your sparkling personality enjoy the deception. If I spend $25/night two nights a week on drinks or help pay for food that's $50 a week or over $2000 a year I would much rather put into my kid's college fund.

Wave, maybe it is you that has the problem. I have never had a second thought when any crewmember "slam-clicks". Maybe they were tired or maybe they did not like hanging out with me. I could care less. The fact that you started a thread about this shows that you are the one with the issues. Why does the "culture" have to be about the cappy buying you a drink? If you want to go hang out at the bar, by all means go ahead and quit disparaging those that choose not to.

wave, it's a job, not a social club.

I just wish everyone, and I mean everyone didn't eat so fast. Middle of a trip, end up on Columbus Ave SFO 3p on a gorgeous day. We park ourselves at a sidewalk table about six Italian restaurants up the street (I had been working my way up one by one) to enjoy an unrushed afternoon of wine, food, and scenery walking by. Have barely touched my order and my flying partner has drained his wine and scarfed down the meal. Now what. Sit there while he watches me eat? Finish quickly, pay the bill, back to hotel, see ya tomorrow, go back out and enjoy the day. Probably says more about me than him I guess.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back