Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TAZ MAN said:
This is a non-event. Plain and simple.

I agree that it's pretty much a non-event. It certainly serves as a reminder to choose your words carefully when making PA's in any "abnormal" situation.

Let's not assume that the Captain said only this, " We can't land because the tower is closed".

He may have said, "Folks, due to the our delay in XYZ, the tower closed in PVD while we were in enroute. Unfortunately, the weather has gone down below what the forecast indicated it would, so we are going to have to go elswhere".

You know all the pax would remember is the tower closing part.....

I've noticed the press always gets everthing right, amazing isn't it?

SWA GUY said:
You know all the pax would remember is the tower closing part.....

...which is exactly why nothing needs to be mentioned about the tower closing. All they need to know is that the weather has worsened, it is now below legal landing minimums and we are proceding to XYZ since the weather will allow us to land there. Too much information is not always a good thing.

j41driver said:
...nothing needs to be mentioned about the tower closing...quote]

Monday morning quarterbacks are funny to watch. Annoying too. No one even knows what he really said.

TexaSWA said:
j41driver said:
...nothing needs to be mentioned about the tower closing...quote]

Monday morning quarterbacks are funny to watch. Annoying too. No one even knows what he really said.

Why single me out? This entire thread is full of Monday morning QB's. All I'm saying is that how much info we give to our passengers along with our word choice when speaking to them makes a big difference in how the message is received.

Things like this happen in some way, shape, or form at every airline. I was commuting in the cockpit of an RJ flight 2 months ago that diverted late at night. The forecast was CLR and 5 miles vis. in mist. By the time we checked in with approach, it was 600 RVR with no improvement likely. As we held for a little while, there was a view of the airport all lit up below looking down through the fog for all on board to see. After the divert, an unsucessful attempt was made to charter a bus (it was after midnight). So, we all ended up spliting rental cars and drove two hours back to the destination in the middle of the night. Since I was in uniform, I fielded a number of complaints / questions at the diversion station after the flight was canceled due to the now corrected forecast. Some passengers had all kinds of crazy ideas about what had happened and why. I can only imagine what they would have said to a reporter who would have happily printed their outbursts as fact.

Do you guys realize you are taking the word of tired, frustrated, non-aviation related passengers?? Perhaps the captain did the right thing, and properly explained what happened? But in their haze of anger and confusion, the pax didn't register the info?

Why do you guys jump all over the pilot and assume WHAT YOU HEARD ON THE NEWS FROM A PAX was truth? What about the captains authority and his decision to conduct the flight safely, and make a decision that mighta sucked in the convenience category, but was on the spot with regards to safety and legality? He had his priorities straight.

Awful.... totally awful....

I don't if this will help anybody but in the past when I made the decision to divert my Pa's have always said "I have made the decision to divert ".Or 'in my judgment".Never do I talk very much about the wx or ATC or fuel.Let them blame me right there in person.

How would SW handle a late departure for SNA if it appeared they were not going to make curfew? Send the folks on other flights or leave them stranded at the departure city?

By the way, was THE AIRLINE film crew in BWI that night?

Latest resources

Back