• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Says Planes Could Not Land Without Air Traffic Control

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll save the speculation crowd the enegy.
PVD is one of the few CAT II/III airport without 24 hour ATC coverage.
They normal close at 2400L but will stay til 0200L local on request.
Request was made, miscommunication occurred at PVD. It happens.
The BDL station was already closed.
As far as mishandling the customers the next morning at BWI I will make no excuses for others. Someone dropped the ball. Again it happens, people make mistakes. It was unfortunnate that it happened but I like to think a lesson was learned and that it wouldn't happen again.
All of respective our carriers have made customer service mistakes that have made the media, it happens.

j41driver said:
TexaSWA said:
Why single me out? This entire thread is full of Monday morning QB's. All I'm saying is that how much info we give to our passengers along with our word choice when speaking to them makes a big difference in how the message is received.

Youre right about being careful as to what you say to passengers. But no one knows what this guy said. Unless you believe some news reporter. So leave out the "he made a bad decision about what to say...". Thats my only problem.

Bringupthebird said:
How would SW handle a late departure for SNA if it appeared they were not going to make curfew? Send the folks on other flights or leave them stranded at the departure city?

By the way, was THE AIRLINE film crew in BWI that night?

Bring up the rear, why the hate for SWA ? Did someone at SWA bang your wife( or in your case boyfriend ).

Do you guys realize you are taking the word of tired, frustrated, non-aviation related passengers?? Perhaps the captain did the right thing, and properly explained what happened? But in their haze of anger and confusion, the pax didn't register the info?

Why do you guys jump all over the pilot and assume WHAT YOU HEARD ON THE NEWS FROM A PAX was truth? What about the captains authority and his decision to conduct the flight safely, and make a decision that mighta sucked in the convenience category, but was on the spot with regards to safety and legality? He had his priorities straight.

This post sums it all up folks - end of story. Highlighted for effect.

Bring up the rear, why the hate for SWA ? Did someone at SWA bang your wife( or in your case boyfriend ).

Yeah, baby!! Southwest Airlines - we rule the World and the bedroom!
(that was humor for you sensitive types :laugh: )

TexaSWA said:
Youre right about being careful as to what you say to passengers. But no one knows what this guy said. Unless you believe some news reporter. So leave out the "he made a bad decision about what to say...". Thats my only problem.

I never said "he made a bad decision about what to say..." in any of my posts.

not surprising really....

Skyboy722 said:
As far as getting what you pay for...#1 in customer service how many times over???

Well of course! When you set their expectations as low as you guys do then you (SWA) are bound to find plenty of happy people.;)

Bringupthebird said:
How would SW handle a late departure for SNA if it appeared they were not going to make curfew? Send the folks on other flights or leave them stranded at the departure city?

By the way, was THE AIRLINE film crew in BWI that night?

We won't leave the departure airport if curfew is going to be an issue, been there done that, we explain it to the customers, they take the next flight the next day. How would you have us handle it seeing as you have all the answers?:p

TexaSWA said:
Monday morning quarterbacks are funny to watch. Annoying too. No one even knows what he really said.[/quote]

Another 5 pages of wasted bandwidth by SWA hating idiots who will jump on any and every excuse to say something negative about SWA. The only thing more shocking than thier disregard for facts and evidence is their hatful attidutes:

Idiot list:

HighSpeedClimb said:
I hope the weather was below minimums for the sake of these superior airman.

pipejockey said:
Boston is an hour drive from pvd. Charter a few buses and they would be home in no time. This is SWA we are talking about though. As people have said before, you get what you pay for!

FN FAL said:
They should have taken Northeast Airlines, they have more experience in the north eastern regional air operational district zone area thingy.

Ready2Fly said:
Typical Southwest super pilot attitude. Lucky they didn't auger another one in.

Bringupthebird said:
What about dispatching to an airport that is below minimums (considering the tower being closed)?[/quote]

Crossky said:
"You are now free to roam about the country" Sort of: had it been any legacy carrier someone might have been at BOS to receive a divert. Were the hotels sold out in BWI? CA made a poor choice of words to blame it on the tower being closed. Sounds like the wx was too poor because the tower was closed.

j41driver said:
I agree that it's pretty much a non-event. It certainly serves as a reminder to choose your words carefully when making PA's in any "abnormal" situation.

j41driver said:
...which is exactly why nothing needs to be mentioned about the tower closing. All they need to know is that the weather has worsened, it is now below legal landing minimums and we are proceding to XYZ since the weather will allow us to land there. Too much information is not always a good thing.

xanderman said:
Well of course! When you set their expectations as low as you guys do then you (SWA) are bound to find plenty of happy people.;)

So there you have it. The whole thread summed up in one post. Like so many of the threads these days it is nothing more than hate filled idiots taking their best shots and the airline industry's customer service leader.

It's not hate my friend...

ivauir said:
Another 5 pages of wasted bandwidth by SWA hating idiots who will jump on any and every excuse to say something negative about SWA. The only thing more shocking than thier disregard for facts and evidence is their hatful attidutes:

So there you have it. The whole thread summed up in one post. Like so many of the threads these days it is nothing more than hate filled idiots taking their best shots and the airline industry's customer service leader.

I have noticed that some of the SWA guys are a little sensitive to criticism. Are you worried that some of these things said here on this board might be approaching the truth? And you might also want to note the "smiley wink." It means I am poking some fun at you! Relax!
Andy

P.S. please send me a link to any 5 pages of bandwidth on this site worth two dead flies....

xanderman said:
. Are you worried that some of these things said here on this board might be approaching the truth?

Nope, I am just tired of losers thinking they can spout off unfunny, untrue, insults and then think it is ok or won't be challenged just because they put a smiley face on it.

You want to poke fun? Work on being funny. In the mean time expect someone to challenge you just about every time you insult their employer.

Be a LUVr not a H8er

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back