Southwest Says Planes Could Not Land Without Air Traffic Control

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
canyonblue said:
Oh yea, they should have just cancelled the flight and not even try to get there. And then let the people fend for themselves, where? At BWI.

Fend for themselves? What are you talking about? Is it the SWA way to make people pay for their own hotels when they can't get their customers to their destinations? See, at a "real" airline they provide accomodations for their customers when they can't get them to their destinations on the day they were scheduled to. Bottom line is that it wasn't because of the tower being closed, or low visibility that caused these people to have to spend the night in the terminal, it was apparently due to SWA being late and unable to meet curfew. It appears they need a backup plan if they are going to try to just get in under curfew everynight.

ivauir said:
So there you have it. The whole thread summed up in one post. Like so many of the threads these days it is nothing more than hate filled idiots taking their best shots and the airline industry's customer service leader.

I presume you mean "AT" ?
The so called "hate-filled idiot" appears to be none other than.......ivauir!!!

pipejockey said:
I presume you mean "AT" ?
The so called "hate-filled idiot" appears to be none other than.......ivauir!!!

Wow, that was really hurtful and oh so clever.

while the attention of all these swa guys is here... i'll go ahead and ask.

my cfi's dad is a VERY senior 777 captain at american. We were on regional approach tonight and an swa out to midland (climbing to FL340...? itd be like a 5 minute cruise?) got on and i started saying how much i would love to work for swa, etc, etc, (My home is in dallas, but i go to tcu.... soooo Hometown GO SWA)

anyway.... Is it possible for a senior 737 CA to pull in 250k a year?

I told her one could. She said 37 drivers get nothing compared to wideboy legacy pay. I wanted to ask how papa liked his 45% paycut, but shes hot and i don't wanna piss her off! Then mentioned airlinepilotpay payrates... (not sure how the conversion works, i understand yall get paid by the trip...?)

anyway... Can SWA CA's have comparable Pay/qol/days off as a widebody Legacy captain 50 #'s from the top of the list?

The next question you should ask is, "How many 15 year F/O's does AA and SWA have?" I jumped on AA the other day and the MD80 FO has been there 15 years. I bet there are no 15-year FO's at SWA. OK, maybe one or two.

Widebody jobs at the legacies are distinctly rare. I'll definitely take the SWA job over the hoped-for widebody CA job a legacy. Too many reasons to list.

frog_flyer said:

my cfi's dad is a VERY senior 777 captain at american. We were on regional approach tonight and an swa out to midland (climbing to FL340...? itd be like a 5 minute cruise?) got on and i started saying how much i would love to work for swa, etc, etc, (My home is in dallas, but i go to tcu.... soooo Hometown GO SWA)

I told her one could. She said 37 drivers get nothing compared to wideboy legacy pay. I wanted to ask how papa liked his 45% paycut, but shes hot and i don't wanna piss her off! Then mentioned airlinepilotpay payrates... (not sure how the conversion works, i understand yall get paid by the trip...?)

anyway... Can SWA CA's have comparable Pay/qol/days off as a widebody Legacy captain 50 #'s from the top of the list?

I flew with a CA the other day who pulled in $325,000 for 2005. He flys smart so that he gets maximum $'s for each trip he flys. He is also able to avoid working on weekends. This year, he said he expects to clear $350K. Alot of the senior guys I fly with in DAL clear $250K.

I am sure that your CFI chick's daddy doesn't do nearly as many trips on that triple as one of our senior CA's does. That is due in part to int'l flight / duty times and such. Comparing domestic to int'l is not comparing apples to apples though. I do think SWA will be flying int'l in the next decade ( if that is what you want to do).

yeah he flies to japan and something in europe. One of my dad's former clients is a 15 year 737 f/o. He said with normal attrition he'll get CA within a year.

15 years is nothing to the 20 something that usair has/had? But dang i cant imagine yanking gear for half of my "final stop" airline career.

thanks for the replies! I knew swa guys could roll with the leggies.

Last edited:
frog_flyer said:

Who knows what the future will bring? I enjoy working at SWA and my pay as a 4th year FO is not too shabby, but I find it hard to belive that the situation we have today will continue forever. I expect a widebody pilot to make more and eventually that will be the case again (hopefully through raises for them!). Six years ago SWA was paying way less than the legacies and folks who made it their first choice were the exception. We'll probably never be that much under the radar again, but WHEN this industry recovers there will probably be some eye popping saleries in the widebodies again.

I guess my point is that life at the top of most senority lists is pretty great. I guess there are still folks who think of SWA pilots as light twin/regional pilots, but don't count the legacies out yet either, just be ready to grab the best opportunity that comes along when you are ready.

Latest resources

Back