• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest "Poolie" calls are going out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep, it does sound like there are a few that aren't being brought in for whatever reason. I just hope that they know what it is that did them in as I would think it would have to be pretty evident.

I know it had me wondering overnight as I couldnt' read into the tone of my voicemail. Fortunately, it was good news.

Another good book to read is "The Southwest Way" it was written by an MIT Grad Student. I thought it was a good objective book about the airline.

Approximately 5 of 200 poolies were told "no thanks". The one reason (sure there were others) was legit in my mind.

95% will be on property by end of 1Q/11.

That's the good news. 188 new hires 1st qtr. SWA will assess later in '11 if more are needed. All "no thanks" calls were made yesterday. While not 100% it is still a prettgy high number considering what can happen in 2 yrs. I'm sorry for those won't be coming to SWA and am not blaming them or SWA. Life gets in the way sometimes.

Several pilots turned down clases for personal reasons and others for professional. Happy where they are currently working, things change in this industry and 2 yrs can be a lifetime!

Hope this helps clear the dust.

Last edited:
Poor taste Tanker. These are guys careers you're making light of. Guys that were already told YES once and waited over 2 years.

Gup

After all that Clown has posted on this web site, you find that to be poor taste????
For Clown, this is the tip of the iceberg. I don't think I've come across a more conceited, beligerent poster on the web.... SWA can have him!

Personally, I read "Nuts!" but only made it through about 3/4 of it because the rah-rah stuff seemed a little hard to believe. Then I read "Hard Landing" and got a more objective picture of the industry that I aspired to, and it substantiated a lot of the claims that I thought were a little too good to be true in "Nuts!". And that is why (in 2000, when everyone was hiring) I moved SWA from the bottom of my wish list to the very top. When I got the call I was hired (June 2000, class date in 2001), I tore up the United application I had been working on, and canceled the Northwest interview I had coming up. I held on to the American interview 'til the second day of class, then I called them up and left a message that I wouldn't be there - and then handed my phone to another classmate of mine to tell them the same thing, lol. True story.

Fraternally,
PapaWoody

PS SWA has lived up to every one of my expectations. It really is a great place to work.

I agree, "hard landings" is a great book to read about the history of the industry especially just prior and during deregulation.
Ironically, I think SWA doesn't even follow the "nuts!" formula anymore, so it is just a historical perspective as well.
Flying the line 1 and 2 are great reviews of the airline industry from way back to the beginnings of mail carriers through todays present majors. Won't be helpful for any interview, but is an interesting read, especially if your not convinced that a union had a place in the pilot profession.

Heard the same thing Chase said from two different sources today.

Hope to see lots of new faces very soon.

Latest resources

Back