• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest "Poolie" calls are going out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would say that they will not be stuck in the junior bases as long as the guys that are currently sitting there. Age 65 will have less than 2 years left by the time the next new hires hit the line so with no growth we will hire more for retirements then. I am hoping for more growth sooner than that.

Hmmm...then why is my near bottom of the list friend still commuting a Central Time Zone location to OAK which he has done (not by choice) for two years.

We are a comparatively young pilot group and although the gummers checking out will create some movement it will not be a windfall that will create massive upgrades. We will probably end up slightly overstaffed after the whole integration plays out. Keep in mind we don't have DOJ approval on the acquisition yet and we may be forced to close an Air Tran city or two. I know DFW will be gone for sure.

IMHO the SLI will put anyone starting class at SWA or Tranny after the acquisition announcement date at the bottom below everybody. I can't imagine the M&A committee would spend bargaining clout on getting our 2011 new hires above any Tranny pilot that was on property prior to 9/27/10 when they have so much else at stake. You hire on now with the knowledge that we are going through an integration, you take the risk of being junior on a stagnated list. As you know being in the pool long term means nothing. Seniority starts when you are assigned your employee number on the first day of class.

I hope I'm wrong but 6 yrs in and I have moved backwards in seniority and have yet to regain lost ground.

Hmmm...then why is my near bottom of the list friend still commuting a Central Time Zone location to OAK which he has done (not by choice) for two years.

Read my post again. I understand that your friend has been sitting at the bottom for the past two years. We have not hired for over two years now=no growth and reserve because of 65 and recession.

So my point was your buddy who will sit reserve in OAK LAS PHX MDW wherever for a total of 3 years will be less than a new hire who will sit two years until age 65 guys hit the street. Clear as mud.

And yes all new hires after Sept 27 2010 on each side of the deal will be at the bottom. But the plus side of the house is after their first year they will make 100,000 a year or more and 10,000 a year more each year after that for the next 5 years. Not all that bad to be on the bottom of SWA list.

Hmmmm, sit reserve in OAK, decent pay, a few days home a month.

Sit reserve in EWR, subpar pay, a couple of days home a month.

Just a few of the details that I have already considered long before getting to this point. Either way, it isn't about guessing what is going to happen in this industry. It is about knowing what is happening now.

Congratulations to the new hires. However... I hope you do realize that you will possibly be stuck in the junior base for a very long time (OAK now but may be ATL after the SLI but who knows for sure). If you choose not to live there, the long term commute to the junior base for one of our real choice junior reserve schedules can wear you and your family down. There has been lots of good news cool aid spewed out on here about growth, SL movment, etc. Right now though, things are still very stagnant and there are a lot of variables that can affect our collective futures.

I am willing to bet that the guys getting hired now will see lots of movement and not have to sit in oak , phi, las very long. SWA has been right sizing for a while . Now they will be going into the growth mode. Just what wallstreet wants. Jmo

Congratulations to the new hires. However... I hope you do realize that you will possibly be stuck in the junior base for a very long time (OAK now but may be ATL after the SLI but who knows for sure). If you choose not to live there, the long term commute to the junior base for one of our real choice junior reserve schedules can wear you and your family down. There has been lots of good news cool aid spewed out on here about growth, SL movment, etc. Right now though, things are still very stagnant and there are a lot of variables that can affect our collective futures.

I'll add on to Debbie Downer's post. You WILL fly with a major league A-hole your first year here too and he might not buy your beers either. It doesn't mean your hiring here isn't a pretty cool thing and something to be excited about. Welcome aboard.

I am willing to bet that the guys getting hired now will see lots of movement and not have to sit in oak , phi, las very long. SWA has been right sizing for a while . Now they will be going into the growth mode. Just what wallstreet wants. Jmo

Growing where? I'm still at odds with these kind of statements. I don't see any growth other than buying Airtran. Maybe I am wrong. I hope so.

I don't see any growth other than buying Airtran. Maybe I am wrong. I hope so.

You need new glasses bubba because years of planning are about to unfold. SWA has huge growth plans in the works. AirTran is part of that plan but certainly not the full plan. Hang on to your britches because it is about to cut loose over here at Southwestern Airways.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back