Southwest off the runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SuperFLUF said:
According to the 737 flight manual, in poor braking conditions, max manual braking allows for a quicker stop than max autobrakes. So this is a moot point.

I don't think it is a moot point. What the performance manual says a test pilot can do under ideal conditions is much different from the reality of how quickly you get your feet up onto the brakes to apply full pressure, especially if you are busy working the pedals to maintain centerline while dealing with a x-wind, slippery/cluttered runway, etc.

I've flown with autobrakes and love them during crosswinds especially. I don't think its a stretch to say that autobrakes kick in quicker than most guys could apply max pressure to the brakes themselves when busy.

It very well may be irreleavant in this case. Notwithstanding, does SWA use autobrakes?

LJ-ABX said:
I don't know SWA's procedures but I was on their jumpseat on a 737-700 for a landing at PIT in light snow. The Captain armed the autobrakes then, when additional information was received on final, he bumped them up another notch. I thought he did an excellent job of managing the entire flight which had weather challenges throughout.

Nevermind, this answers the question... Too much B.S. on this thread to pick out the professional discourse easily...

AKAAB said:
Regarding the FedEx MD-11 at EWR and the misinterpretation of the runway and performance data: http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2000/AAR0002.pdf see paragraph 2.2.2.7 on page 60.

I know I am splitting hairs but the report states they misinterpreted the calculated data not the runway length given on the chart. In my previous thread, I was referring to runway availiable as given to us on the charts not the caculated data for stopping distance.

Thanks for the report it is good reading.

For you 737 guys what are th numbers for landing on ice or snow covered runways.

Also for balanced field do 121 carriers use the 60% rule for runway requirements? For part-135 we use the 60% rule but now you can get approval for 80% runway requirement.

Oh,,,and for all you experts wondering about landing with a slight tailwind -- it happens ALL THE TIME in the airline industry when the RVR (that's the visibilty for those of you who don't know) is only above minimums at the runway with the slight tailwind! The other runways with a headwind may not have the visibilty weather minimums. Happens all the time. The FAA approves as long as the data says you can land. Of course, if the braking action at the end of the runway is nil instead of, as reported to the pilots, as poor - the data is out the window.

Mach 80 said:
Oh,,,and for all you experts wondering about landing with a slight tailwind -- it happens ALL THE TIME in the airline industry when the RVR (that's the visibilty for those of you who don't know) is only above minimums at the runway with the slight tailwind! The other runways with a headwind may not have the visibilty weather minimums. Happens all the time. The FAA approves as long as the data says you can land. Of course, if the braking action at the end of the runway is nil instead of, as reported to the pilots, as poor - the data is out the window.

Well said! I do not believe any of these posters whom provide the cerebral insight are pilots. The seem to be more like reporters looking for a scoop. Hey Jimmy Olsen, it was Professor Plum in the Library with a Candelstick. Did you ask about the Glidescope?

SWA Accident

Please everyone on this board take the high road and pray for the family of the boy and for the suffering the crew will endure. For the SWA employees posting here be sure to do everything you can to support the crewmembers and their families.

This was an accident, pure and simple at a very challenging airport. Let the NTSB sort it out. No PROFESSIONAL on this board should be speculating. Be assured that SWA is a top notch professional organization. Operating thousands of flights a day for 30 plus years and this is the first fatality, ONE person. One is one too many, granted. But for any SWA bashers here I would ask you to take a look at your airline's safety record. I would be surprised if your carrier was on par with SWA in terms of safety.

Aviators should be a band of brothers. Lets work on it. My good friends who work at SWA believe it and I doubt they would be bashing should such an event happen to someone else.

Please take care all and fly safe.

SuperFLUF said:
According to the 737-700 flight manual, in all braking conditions, max manual braking allows for a quicker stop than max autobrakes. So this is a moot point.

Not sure about the 737, never flown one, but in the "bus", the numbers are the same, however, max auto brake is only selected for an emergency landing and not for regular use, since it will probably blow the tires on a dry runway.

Is max autobrake used in normal ops on the 737?

I stood in eight inches of snow on the ramp at MDW when that boy died that night. I have a son. My tears froze on my face. My heart goes out to that family and those pilots.

On News Coverage:
Those who know dont say;
Those who say dont know

On the flaming in here:
Professionals always will recognize the fragile environment we operate in. The paint on the plane is irrellevant, as we have seen all the majors paint in the videos. We are human, planes are machines. There will always be those who have, and those who will. Put down the stones, theyre your windows youre going to break.

Latest resources

Back