Southwest off the runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
canyonblue737 said:
let me end this entire discussion by saying that SWA uses an FAA approved and sophiscated onboard portable computer system which uses custom data for every runway in its entire system, combined with current weather, runway condition data, specific airplane model and tail number, aircraft weight, runway USEABLE LENGTH (made even shorter automatically in poor weather as a conservative factor), runway slope, obstacles, glideslope angle etc. to show specific landing margins and clearly state if you can safely land. this system is used for every single landing of SWA 3000+ daily flights and can be updated and checked on a moment to moment basis if necessary.

now that data is only good if sources coming from ATC and other planes is accurate.

Excellent response. Thanks

From the report.

Aircraft landed within the zone at 123kts indicated and 132kts G/S, braking was reported as fair. It's starting sound like the braking report wasn't accurate.

It sounds like the crew touched down on speed and in the zone, 9 kts of tailwind seems excessive but I would have to see the charts.

Bottom line: You are not doing anyone a favor by being too conservative on the braking reports because it sounds like the braking was probably poor to nil at least at the end.

They hit the barrier at 40 kts.

Vladimir Lenin said:
ntsb just held a conf

wind 090/9

airspeed at touchdown 123 kts

brake condition at the end of runway nil

Anyone have a link?

My heart goes out to the family and crew.

To all of you who continue to second guess and bad mouth Southwest I am appauled! I have shot hundreds of approaches into MDW going back to the early 90s in the Kiwi days. The one thing all of them had in common? They were all very exciting! This could have happened to anyone. Celiing at 300 feet, runway lights probally covered in snow, who knows what the winds were like going down (I know some smart ass will post the winds now) I have seen winds at 3000 feet going into MDW at 60kts and calm on the ground. Stop bad mouthing these guys. And stop bad mouthing the company they need your support. Pilots are supposed to stick together not attack each other.

Fly2Scuba said:
You still can't accept an apology and seem vindictive and yes "mentally unstable" being that's the case. Because of the fact that some people get so bent of shape in todays society is part of the reason for an anoymous message board. Over sensitivity in real life leads to irrational responses up to including lawsuits, death threats, etc. So learn to accept an apology and realize that some of us consider a message board a place to freely exchange without all the formal proper pleasantries most of us use in real life. Also, you can't go around hiding behind a flightinfo name calling people names, calling them "weak" while bashing them about not divulging their true identities. That's hypocritical.

I accept your apology. I also am sorry for my comments. I still think I was right in my theory, just too strong in the delivery. Just feeling pretty bad for everyone involved, and seeing people on this thread getting off on it was too much to bear.

I am sorry for the spelling and grammer errors in my last post and in my profile. I was very upset after reading 14 pages of posts and created an account very quickly.

Last edited:
I don't care what anybody posts about me. Maybe I am crass, maybe not. But, if you add it all up:

6500' runway
heavy snow
contaminated runway
Braking action fair turning to poor at the far end
737-700 with 95-100 pax
RVR was what? 3000 or 4000
7-8 kts tailwind as briefed by the NTSB

I don't care if the guy in front of you got it on safely. This is a pretty ballsy choice to shoot this approach. It is barely legal on almost every front and to me, if I may be entitled to an opinion on this board, is a pretty stupid decision. Like everybody has said, MDW is tough in severe clear.

Man that's kinda like playing Russian roulette with your career and many peoples' lives at stake!!!

Someone had to say it!

Last edited:
oh, dude.

get the full story, let emtions calm down, then learn from the investigation

armchair flying after a fatal accident is just...I don't have the words

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back