Southwest off the runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remington said:
I guarantee you the discussion of past accidents/incidents were not intended to envoke a laugh. Sure, we have all learned tons from past accidents. I gave my students, "The I learned about flying from that" articles. We can all learn from some other's mistakes. However, the people making fun here are hiding behind anonimity. I challenge you to go stand in the B concourse of MDW and laugh at this problem and make a joke of it. You won't.
People love to see the sucessful fall. SWA is the most sucessful airline in history and folks wait like vultures for something like this to happen.
On top of the child losing his life, other's were hurt, and two pilots might lose their career. Is anyone losing their career funny? Can you make up a joke about this? Lets hear it. Show your wife/parents/kids this thread and see if they think it's funny.

Again, I think you might be taking this a bit to seriously. Yea, looking back there are inapproriate comments that should have been reserved for the time being. However, part of the appeal of an anoyomous internet board is you make some comments you wouldn't openly discuss in public setting. There are some people on here who are probably high school kids interested in aviation, but also likes to get a rise by pissing off others. By overreacting, you're just encouraging some of the extreme posters.

I provided plenty of examples of past tragedies that are joked about on a daily basis and I'm sure you have joked about also. Almost all accidents are not joked about in CRM, but again that Burbank photo is funny so get over it. Laughter is an escape sometimes to uncomfortable, serious topics.

Also I'm not sure people are looking to pounce on SWA for being so successful. Most people these days would love to work them and admire their industry leading 737 rates and work rules. I would agree with others that they seem to be in a more hurry up mode than any other airline. Maybe a factor in this accident, maybe not. Thirty plus years and one fatality is still an excellent track record.

How do some of you pin dik weasels get up in the morning, and look at yourselves? Do me a favor. Next time you look in the mirror, remind yourself what a spineless little scant of a person you are to post such crap while hidding behind your handle. I am sorry you spent most of your childhood hanging from the gym locker door, but it is time to get over it.

When we heard the news and saw the pictures, my wife and I were just heartsick for the crew and the family of the little boy who was killed.

It is a sobering reminder that despite everything that we do right, sometimes things still go wrong. It's an unforgiving industry that we're involved in.

Our thoughts are with you all.

I've read that the metar winds were 160/5, what time was that metar and what time was the accident? I was in KTOL when the snow hit and we got stuck there until it passed. When we landed winds were 090/10 then increased in intesity up to 090/20 then as the front passed the winds shifted to 250/25G30. The reason I bring it up is becuase the winds swapped in about 20 minutes and during that time there was a lull in the wind, not a large varible wind change. I'm curious if MDW experienced such a shift and the intensity of the storm there

satpak77 said:
lets wait till we get the full facts before we hang the flight crew.

with THAT said, I see on the 31-C approach plate a notation that "landing length available" is 5826 feet

http://myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00081ILD31C.PDF

obviously, SWA has been into KMDW before, and we have the Captain, the CP, and Dispatch all involved in flight planning decisions.

With snow and ice/moisture/etc and less than optimal viz (albeit "legal"), I sure would have liked another 1000 feet of pavement to play with given the conditions

Good luck to all and prayers to the injured/deceased

You mentioned that the landing lenght available was 5826, but the runway beyond glide slope is only 4925ft. If it was me and I had that weather conditions, that is the runway length I would have looked at.

mdf said:
How do some of you pin dik weasels get up in the morning, and look at yourselves? Do me a favor. Next time you look in the mirror, remind yourself what a spineless little scant of a person you are to post such crap while hidding behind your handle. I am sorry you spent most of your childhood hanging from the gym locker door, but it is time to get over it.

Someone who uses digler sized member as their status is probably trying to hide the opposite, especially after using "pin dik weasels" to go after others. Look dude, you probably work for SWA and I'm sorry this accident happened, period. Sucks, could have been much worse and again most of the "innapropriate" comments were made during the time period when it seemed like the extent of the human damage was minimal. So if I pissed you off or offended you besides the first sentence of this post, sorry. SWA has the most outgoing fun easy going crews I've ever met, so please don't lose your coolness by getting all outraged now and bitter from stuff you read on flightinfo.

Unfortunate events like this happen and will continue to. As pilots, we must remember how important our jobs are, and how very quickly things can change. My heart goes out to everyone involved, especially those of the poor young child. Be safe everyone!!!!

F*** the press

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don’t have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick ’em when they’re up
Kick ’em when they’re down
Kick ’em when they’re up
Kick ’em when they’re up
Kick ’em when they’re up
Kick ’em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you ’bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
It’s interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You don’t really need to find out what’s going on
You don’t really want to know just how far it’s gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick ’em when they’re up
Kick ’em when they’re up

Kick ’em when they’re up
Kick ’em when they’re stiff
Kick ’em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody’s pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo
We can dance and sing
When it’s said and done we haven’t told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

I want to on record as someone who has flown thousands of hours into and out of MDW with both the B737-800 and B-727, many of which has been in bad weather. MDW is safe but you have to be right on the mark, the reported weather is often not accurate including field reports.

My prayers go out to those pilots, the victims and SWA, I know these are trying times for everyone.

Cursed is the pilot that takes cheap shots at someone's misfortunes.

Bandit60 said:
You mentioned that the landing lenght available was 5826, but the runway beyond glide slope is only 4925ft. If it was me and I had that weather conditions, that is the runway length I would have looked at.

Are you saying you make up your own limitation and performance numbers instead of using the approved performance information? Or, as I suspect, are you saying you like to wag a couple of extra feet in your numbers to give yourself a larger margin of safety?

Not being sure about how the landing distance is calculated contributed to chain of events that lead to the FedEx MD-11 accident in EWR. As I recall, they thought the landing distance was calculated from the glideslope intercept and not the end of the runway - thus leading them to believe they had less performance than they had.

Regardless, you have to know what your own numbers are predicated on - runway length or glideslope.

Now...back to the SWA discussion....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back