• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Nose Gear Collapse LGA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FAA just retracted their previous statement. They now say the crew didn't report any gear problems prior to landing. Fletch, where is your Jump to Conclusions mat?

FAA reports the crew reported possible nose gear problems before landing.
If I thought I had gear problems, I'd be looking for the longest runway I could find. Certainly not one that ends with a pier at the end that drops into the bay.
But that's just me.

Btw uncle bunk since you know so much what is the controllability and calculated stopping distance for a 737 with a collapsed nose gear?

Exact stopping distance; I have no idea, but certainly way less than 7000 feet as proven by this incident. As for controllability I assume you're refering to departing the runway laterally, in which case it is a little disingenuous to say the runway is "surrounded" by water.

You're entitled to your opinion; I'm just not a big fan of second guessing fellow pilots with this little information available. We pilots have enough a$$holes dying to point fingers at us.... the media, lawyers, management, etc. Remember those guys are on "your team" now. Cut them some slack, at least until all the info comes in.

Nobody needs to pile on this accident (amount of damage could make it one)......

Could have been anybody.

It's all about the dangerous "Culture" and the belief that you can put
experienced AirTran Captains into the right seat and upgrade
relatively inexperienced first officers at the passengers, and safeties
expense.

Upgrade relatively inexperienced first officers?! My upgrade is going to be a twenty year upgrade!

★Sent from my Galaxy S4★

This does explain the irrational-exuberance of pinning the landing gear. ;)

Just kidding (obviously!). Glad no one was seriously injured. Y'all be careful out there.

Regards,
Ty

Last edited:
FAA just retracted their previous statement. They now say the crew didn't report any gear problems prior to landing. Fletch, where is your Jump to Conclusions mat?

I was really wondering about that report. The 700 has two separate gear light indicators. As long as there is a green light on either of the systems you are supposed to be good to go. It seems there shouldn't be confusion about the status of the gear, if either system has a green light there shouldn't be a problem.

Thomas Bosco, Acting Director of Aviation for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said: "there was no advance warning of any possible problem before the landing."

It's all about the dangerous "Culture" and the belief that you can put
experienced AirTran Captains into the right seat and upgrade
relatively inexperienced first officers at the passengers, and safeties
expense.

Yea right! lol. We don't have AT hiring practices or requirements. Just saying bud;)

Latest resources

Back