• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Nose Gear Collapse LGA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many planes have we "taken off-roading compared to everyone else"? Well, fewer than Delta (and its Delta Connections) in the last year alone. The last five or so such incidents have been them. We don't make such a big deal about it, because minor sh1t like that happens to everyone. However when it happens to us, all the forum idiots like you go on for 20 pages on FI about our "safety culture" and "dangerous" taxiing. Do you know how many incidents of any kind at Southwest, in our history, that have been attributed to taxi speeds? Zero. Your Southwest "evidence" of safety culture is just anecdotal BS ("I've got a friend at Southwest who says..." Yeah, sure you do.)

Tell us about YOUR airline, HPilot. Seriously. I'd be happy to compare safety records. How many passengers we each fly, and how many passenger fatalities we're responsible for. Our head is not in the sand, and we don't "ignore" safety issues. And the way we do business isn't "gonna get people killed," no matter how much you blabber about it anonymously, and no matter how much you'd obviously like to see that happen just so you can say, "I told you so."

Bubba

You arrogant SOB, you ran into a gas station in Cali and killed an innocent bystander in MY city, Chicago. You bitches have just been lucky.

You arrogant SOB, you ran into a gas station in Cali and killed an innocent bystander in MY city, Chicago. You bitches have just been lucky.

Drinking + Posting = FUgly....every time it's tried

Wow. Can you email me ahead of time when I should go around? You know, before you know any details?

Thanks.

Two separate questions. A missed approach is mandatory when the approach becomes unstable below 1000 AGL.

We don't know any details? I guess you haven't read this thread. Go to post #66.

I suspect we've all been guilty at some point of our professional aviation careers where we couldn't eat our humble pie, so we 'salvaged' the approach, with a comment from the other guy sitting next to you saying 'nicely done'. It is a human trait issue. Type A personality that most of us are. If this doesn't make you reflect...

So they say it could happen to anyone, but why so many for Southwest?

In recent years:

1455 @ BUR
1248 @ MDW
1919 @ MDW
345 @ LGA

then not to mention sliding off the Taxiway twice last year:

1905 @ DEN
4695 @ ISP

Things that make you go hrmmm...

Things are gettin' real ugly in mhea. Simmah dahn nah.

It appears that this LGA crew really dorked the landing, but the airline-wide broad brush painting of systemic piloting shortcomings is really petty and just looks like sour grapes over personal grudges.

SWA, being the largest domestic airline, obviously has the highest opportunity for mishaps. Given that, their safety record is damned fine.

I mentioned to one of your co-workers/ friend that in training at AWA we were going over go around procedures because the company after reviewing landing data felt go-arounds weren't being performed when they should have been. He laughed and said, "you'll never see that at Southwest, in fact go-arounds are discouraged."

He's FOS. I've been here 18 years, and have NEVER been discouraged from doing a go around when it was necessary. If anything, we've gone the other direction and have tied our hands into doing go arounds when they aren't necessary.

How many 737's have you guys taken off roading compared to everyone else?

No clue how many OAL 737s have left the pavement, but it does happen.

You can either stick your head in the sand and break out the SW pomp pomps or admit you've got a safety culture problem. Ignoring it won't make it go away, it's just gonna get people killed.

If we had a safety culture problem, I would admit it. We don't. Stuff happens for a variety of reasons, and SW still has one of the best safety records in the industry.

Latest resources

Back