• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Nose Gear Collapse LGA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would have thought that during the training for a 737 type the instructor would have mentioned the mains touch first.

Tanker, I think you're over simplifying this with that comment. One similarity between Asiana and this WN accident is that they both warranted a go-around and they both continued to the crash. I think that all air carriers (at least in this country) flight ops policy is that "go-arounds are free". If you are on an approach that warrants a miss, and you continue and there's an accident I would not call it a "this could happen to any of us" thing.

Wow. Can you email me ahead of time when I should go around? You know, before you know any details?

Thanks.

Tanker, I think you're over simplifying this with that comment. One similarity between Asiana and this WN accident is that they both warranted a go-around and they both continued to the crash. I think that all air carriers (at least in this country) flight ops policy is that "go-arounds are free". If you are on an approach that warrants a miss, and you continue and there's an accident I would not call it a "this could happen to any of us" thing.

Are you so perfect that you've never continued an approach or landing that "warrants a miss"? Have you never thanked your lucky stars after such an occurrence? Do you always make the perfect snap-second decision at 150 knots 2 seconds prior to touchdown?

I wish I was sh!t-hot like you, man.

News reporting that they landed nose first.

So what would the PNF be doing as the PF landed nose first?

Fatigue?

If you don't think this could happen to you, I would never want to be a passenger on your airplane.

Humility is the most important trait of any pilot. The lack of humility can hurt other people when it comes to aviation. Thinking otherwise is only fooling yourself.

Prior to the previous string of off runway excursions i had heard go-arounds were discouraged. I had really hoped the safety culture at SW had changed. Thank goodness there were only minor injuries.

Wow.

Absolutely told to never go around under any circumstance, and if you have fuel to taxi to the gate, you've loaded too much in the first place. Weight and balance forms are just suggestions and all maintenance items are taken care of when and if there's time after nap time.

GMAFB.

Where do you people get this nonsense?

Go arounds were NEVER discouraged, officially, or unofficially at SW.

SW still has one of the best safety records of any airline, and is far better than most.

I mentioned to one of your co-workers/ friend that in training at AWA we were going over go around procedures because the company after reviewing landing data felt go-arounds weren't being performed when they should have been. He laughed and said, "you'll never see that at Southwest, in fact go-arounds are discouraged." How many 737's have you guys taken off roading compared to everyone else? You can either stick your head in the sand and break out the SW pomp pomps or admit you've got a safety culture problem. Ignoring it won't make it go away, it's just gonna get people killed.

You can either stick your head in the sand and break out the SW pomp pomps or admit you've got a safety culture problem. Ignoring it won't make it go away, it's just gonna get people killed.

Ignorant statement #2. Third time is a charm.

Besides, I just put my "pomp pomps" away.

Wow.

Absolutely told to never go around under any circumstance, and if you have fuel to taxi to the gate, you've loaded too much in the first place. Weight and balance forms are just suggestions and all maintenance items are taken care of when and if there's time after nap time.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying i think there could be a culture there that incourages fuel savings and on time over safety. I hope i'm wrong.

Latest resources

Back