• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Nose Gear Collapse LGA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Things are gettin' real ugly in mhea. Simmah dahn nah.

It appears that this LGA crew really dorked the landing, but the airline-wide broad brush painting of systemic piloting shortcomings is really petty and just looks like sour grapes over personal grudges.

SWA, being the largest domestic airline, obviously has the highest opportunity for mishaps. Given that, their safety record is damned fine.

For sure this. Plus some of you with the can't happen to me attitude maybe in for a rude awaking some day cause it can. I have had some pretty sharp folks point me in directions on landing they themselves wonder about.Including pushing he nose way over after bouncing.Fly safe guys and girls.

Metal fatigue caused by years of taking 90 degree turns at 40 knots?

Just kidding guys.

I'm sorry, but that's funny... had to laugh.

whole thing sucks tho... added to Asiana's "landing" I expect the FAA and Ms. NTSB will have all sorts of "suggestions" for "improved safety" for ALL of us to comply with shortly...

Really, dumbass?

In the last ten years, Southwest has wrecked exactly ZERO jets. That's zero. In fact, in over 42 years of operation, only ONE jet has ever been written off (BUR overrun in 2000, an accident involving an older -300, with zero fatalities, and zero serious injuries), because it wasn't cost-effective to repair.

Southwest has NEVER killed a passenger, and has only had one fatality attributed to our operation (6-year old Joshua Woods in the 2005 MDW accident, who choked to death after the overrun plane hit his parent's car and he was stuck inside). Aside from the BUR plane, this was the most serious damage ever done to a Southwest airplane, and the airplane was repaired and returned to service, and is still flying today.

What airline do YOU work for, Xanderman? Would you like to compare safety records? Or would you just prefer to keep talking out of your ass? You ARE right about one thing, however--talk IS cheap. And somebody SHOULD take a closer look. At how ignorant and stupid your remarks are.

Bubba

Easy tiger. Do you remember Amarillo in 2003? Ok, a tiny bit outside 10 years but as I was a 3 1/2 month CRJ captain who knew better to hold until the storms past whilst SWA shot an approach to the most convienient (not appropriate) runway and ended up off the runway then back on losing the nose gear in the process:

http://investigativereportingworkshop.org/flying-cheap/incident/20030603X00763/1/

I can also recite a time where I decided to hold at Okmulgee (due to T-Storms in Tulsa) while SWA shot an approach into Tulsa only to go missed and join us in the hold.

I have some dear friends at SWA so I am sorry too sound negative. SWA has a great customer spirit I like but from the outside looking in I would not fit in the flight ops side.

Cheers-

Rum

Last edited:
You arrogant SOB, you ran into a gas station in Cali and killed an innocent bystander in MY city, Chicago. You bitches have just been lucky.

-I'm- the arrogant one? Your pretend outrage is laughable.

Let's see... You work for USAir, right? From Sept 89 to July 94 (a just-under five year period), your airline crashed (and completely destroyed) FIVE airplanes, killing a total of 232 passengers and crew. And this doesn't count minor stuff like off-runway incidents with only minor or no damage. And then you have the actual nutsack to bash OUR safety record. Nice.

I'm not trying to say that Southwest is perfect, but rather that our safety record is one of the best in the world. We fly more passengers in the US than any other airline, and have never killed or seriously injured any of them. How many of you anonymous blowhards, working for other majors, can say the same thing?

Yet every time something happens, no matter how minor, and no matter how many times it happens more often to other airlines, the same Internet dumbasses jump all over Southwest and bloviate like we're some third-world airline killing people left and right. All the while pretending that their airlines are perfect. And they do it with glee; that's the sickest part.

Like I said, I'll put Southwest's safety record up against any of your airlines'.

Bubba

Why are we such d**ks to each other on internet web boards? We're all out there doing the best we can and it's pretty damn good. It's a credit to every one in the industry that any event at all gets the attention it does.

Why are we such d**ks to each other on internet web boards? We're all out there doing the best we can and it's pretty damn good. It's a credit to every one in the industry that any event at all gets the attention it does.

Because 'we' are hiding behind keyboards with screen names and not sitting next to each other in the cockpit talking about poon-tang.:beer:

So they say it could happen to anyone, but why so many for Southwest?

In recent years:

1455 @ BUR
1248 @ MDW
1919 @ MDW
345 @ LGA

then not to mention sliding off the Taxiway twice last year:

1905 @ DEN
4695 @ ISP

Things that make you go hrmmm...
post up a few places you work or worked, let me see what I can google...

How many planes have we "taken off-roading compared to everyone else"? Well, fewer than Delta (and its Delta Connections) in the last year alone. The last five or so such incidents have been them. We don't make such a big deal about it, because minor sh1t like that happens to everyone. However when it happens to us, all the forum idiots like you go on for 20 pages on FI about our "safety culture" and "dangerous" taxiing. Do you know how many incidents of any kind at Southwest, in our history, that have been attributed to taxi speeds? Zero. Your Southwest "evidence" of safety culture is just anecdotal BS ("I've got a friend at Southwest who says..." Yeah, sure you do.)

Tell us about YOUR airline, HPilot. Seriously. I'd be happy to compare safety records. How many passengers we each fly, and how many passenger fatalities we're responsible for. Our head is not in the sand, and we don't "ignore" safety issues. And the way we do business isn't "gonna get people killed," no matter how much you blabber about it anonymously, and no matter how much you'd obviously like to see that happen just so you can say, "I told you so."

Bubba

The way you react speaks volumes. If I'd have to guess, you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

You arrogant SOB, you ran into a gas station in Cali and killed an innocent bystander in MY city, Chicago. You bitches have just been lucky.

He'll bring up everyone else's safety issues and ignore his company's own. It's like talking to an alcoholic. Complete denial and it's everyone else?s fault.

When I first got to SW in the mid-nineties, some of the statements above were basically correct. I remember thinking to myself "are these guys for real?". That was then and this is now. Now, it's polar opposite. Seriously. I can't speak for what happened in LGA but "SLOW THE F DOWN" has been a mantra for some time now. Go-arounds are mandatory if you do not meet stabilized approach criteria by 1000' AGL. No wiggle room there. I'm still shaking my head trying to figure out how this could have happened.

I'm glad to hear that. The conversations I had with a friend about go-arounds were back around 00'-04'. I had heard things had improved.

Latest resources

Back