• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest breaks ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe Houston felt that fares had a chance of dropping if someone challenged UniCALs near monopoly on int'l flying...could have something to do with it...kinda like what happens in DAL

Some Council and local business media types felt that IAH customers were paying too much as compared to MIA. Well, when was the last time MIA got an airport improvement? Are the fares suppose to be the same when one airport is a dump and the other has had improvements?

Additionally, MIA has got a lot of South American carriers flying directly back and forth. Like they would probably prefer to do to compete with SWA, only SWA has stacked the deck against them. Avianca (for example) is a serious airline and I hope they apply for a reciprocal flights to Hobby. If one gate isn't enough, then don't let SWA fly to BOG. That's how it's suppose to work.

Last edited:
You have a real problem admitting you are wrong, even in the face of undeniable factual evidence directly proving that you are wrong.

Someone posted this in another thread in response to PCL.

Is it true that you still have a punching bag at home with a Gojet uniform tacked to it so you can pretend you are beating up a sc-b?

I always have to laugh at the one kid who will do anything to appear to have gravitas and respect, while everyone is laughing at him behind his back.

Typically, people who suffer this sort of social rejection try to find solace and acceptance by wrapping themselves in the flag of one type of organization or another. Mall cops are a great example of this.

When you add social awkwardness to the cocktail, it is inevitable that they will seek a venue for the remediation of their manifold insecurities.

Even if they have to buy their way in, because they couldn't make it on their own.

All that really needs to be understood is that a city is not required to approve separate additional airport FIS in a multiple airport situations. You are wrong, the city and the FAA are in no way obligated.

Yes, they are, unless there's a compelling reason not to. Airspace saturation (like in Denver) IS a good reason; the fact that Unical doesn't want the competition, or they feel that they "paid for that politician," so he owes them special favors, AREN'T. A city normally has to approve building more facilities in their city (building codes, utility easements, taking land, etc.), but they have dick to say about where a tenant airline can and can't fly to from existing airports. That's between the airline, the Feds (in setting up the customs facilities), and the other countries. In the Houston case, we needed their approval to build an entirely new facility in their city (duh), but the city has no voice in customs or FIS staffing decisions.

How can you even make that claim in the same post where you admit that Dallas has prohibited it!? American's case would have been a non starter if it was that contrary to federal law.

I most certainly did NOT "admit" anything of the sort regarding the city of Dallas. The city "prohibited" exactly nothing. What I said was, that Southwest agreed in the written compromise to not only never do international flying out of Love Field, but also to forever limit Love Field to 20 or 24 gates (I forget off the top of my head). Southwest agreed to these restrictions in return for American and DFW agreeing to drop their objections to removing the remaining limitations from the Wright Amendment. That's why it was called a compromise. In the compromise, Southwest got to fly anywhere nonstop domestically, and American got to keep from having to compete internationally. It had jack squat to do with the city of Dallas not "wanting" international flying out do DAL. Dallas would probably have loved having no restrictions at us at Love, because it would be more revenue for them, and more choices for their residents.

You know, I can't tell if you REALLY just don't get how the world (and this situation) works, or if you're just jacking with me because you don't like the actual reality. Suppose you tell me which.

Bubba

Last edited:
Relative wouldn't have harmed you in any significant way, so the comparison is not valid.
It's a completely valid concept and one AT folks who think like you fail to understand.

Relative would have placed hundreds more on top of me now, to have many more hundreds outlast my progression through retirement. The AT pilot force is a much younger, probably better looking group. Therefore, those younger than me would never go away, I would end up in a much worse relative position at my retirement, by SWAPA's numbers, 9% worse.

You are lucky, the benevolent one, determined even after you voted no, that the worst SWAPA could do to you was give you a relative SL modified for this fact. I now end up retiring seniority wise exactly where I was before AT was announced.

Insignificant huh?

How does SWA get away with telling any/all airlines that want into Hobby that they can fight over one gate?

Dude. Seriously. Enough with this asinine argument; you're embarrassing yourself.

The same way that WE couldn't go into IAH and demand 50 international gates when there isn't that many open. Unical has the exclusive rights to so many domestic and international gates at IAH, right? You have leases protecting those rights, yes? Well, it's exactly the same at HOU. We have exclusive rights to four of the five international gates that we're building. It's really that simple.

So, it turns out that Southwest won't have to tell any airline that there's only one international gate open at HOU--the airport will tell other airlines that. They had no international gates, but now they'll have one to rent out to someone else. They'll say, "we only have one open gate right now, but if you will promise so much traffic, then we'll certainly build more." And if there's enough demand like you think, the guess what?-- the airport itself will be happy to build more gates for that. It's called "supply and demand," and it's how capitalism works.

Bubba

What is more likely is that Intercontinental has been in need of a shakeup and Southwest's Hobby expansion has become the excuse ? as partially evidenced by how ready United was to role with cut announcements after the Houston City Council's decision; United wanted to seize on the moment to springboard its cuts rather than give time for others to contemplate its sincerity."
Just because it's important to set this drivel straight, reposted for impact.

You have a real problem admitting you are wrong, even in the face of undeniable factual evidence directly proving that you are wrong.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about you.

It's a completely valid concept and one AT folks who think like you fail to understand.

Relative would have placed hundreds more on top of me now, to have many more hundreds outlast my progression through retirement. The AT pilot force is a much younger, probably better looking group. Therefore, those younger than me would never go away, I would end up in a much worse relative position at my retirement, by SWAPA's numbers, 9% worse.

You are lucky, the benevolent one, determined even after you voted no, that the worst SWAPA could do to you was give you a relative SL modified for this fact. I now end up retiring seniority wise exactly where I was before AT was announced.

Insignificant huh?

Our pilots took an average loss of well over 20% in relative seniority. Forgive me if I don't consider your small claimed loss to be worthy of my sympathy.

Our pilots took an average loss of well over 20% in relative seniority. Forgive me if I don't consider your small claimed loss to be worthy of my sympathy.

Yep

Thats what I keep saying you wanted. Every time you deny it.

Your showing your true colors .

Latest resources

Back