• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest breaks ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's funny Flop talks about the number of jobs guaranteed.

I watched the Houston City Council meeting.

The one council member tried to pin Gary down on how many 'thousand' jobs he would bring.

Gary stopped him cold and said he could only comment on the jobs that SOUTHWEST would bring, which was around 80 if memory serves me correctly. All the other numbers, as Gary pointed out, were from surveys done via outside third party companies making estimates.

So any other jobs from say fuelers, concession, etc will be what they are. The council heard projections on those, and hard numbers from Gary. How could he possibly guarantee something he has no control over?

Every day that goes by is one more closer to the day SWA gets a bad CEO

BTW: Houston's mayors office and the Houston airport authority have turned 180 degrees from their screw CAL mantra. I don't know what's changed their minds, but they did get the message. Your new terminal needs to produce the numbers you promised. Even if it takes getting other airlines in there, HAS will do it. I think they realize they are going to have to save face and that the celebration you enjoyed at CAL's expense better not prove to have been premature. Again those numbers are 10000 jobs, 1.6 billion boost to Houston's economy and $130 airfare to BOG. You don't need to worry about UAL, just focus on making Houston happy. You have 4 gates, good luck.

Don't feel bad Flop. After Houston is open and SWA makes good on the idea of having 2 International Airports, SWA will start the campaign on opening up Love Field so DFW will have the same competiition. It is just a matter of time and American will be complaining just like you.

Before I respond further to some or all of this, let's look at what this thread shows us an average SWA pilot has become: A complete a-hole. I refrain from this thread except for one short, positive post. I get called out and decide to respond and instantly there are four mouthy, pissed off SWA goons ready to pop off. YGTBSM.

I remember when SWA pilots used to be a cool group. You've gone from easy going to sh!t don't stink in record time.

Answer me this: you've been in Houston for 40 years. Since day 1. What have you done that should concern anyone working at UAL? CAL restructured and then flourished in Houston and SWA didn't really slow it down. You guys need to quit worrying about other airlines and their CEOs. Run your own deal and stfu, ok?

Last edited:
The one council member tried to pin Gary down on how many 'thousand' jobs he would bring.

Gary stopped him cold and said he could only comment on the jobs that SOUTHWEST would bring, which was around 80 if memory serves me correctly. All the other numbers, as Gary pointed out, were from surveys done via outside third party companies making estimates.

?

Yeah, like the third party that owns the airport. That's what the City wants. If you can't get the job done then they will go recruit other airlines who can. It's not going to matter a bit that you built the thing, you'll be accommodating whatever airline the City tells you to. Read the agreement. I don't know what clicked with the Mayor and HAS, but the grotesque celebration SWA had at the Council meeting might have been it. You guys celebrated like it was over; Like you hit another gravy train and weren't going to have to put in the effort or live up to expectations. The City is quite clear now, this isn't going to be another Love Field.

Before I respond further to some or all of this, let's look at what this thread shows us an average SWA pilot has become: A complete a-hole. I refrain from this thread except for one short, positive post. I get called out and decide to respond and instantly there are four mouthy, pissed off SWA goons ready to pop off. YGTBSM.

I remember when SWA pilots used to be a cool group. You've gone from easy going to sh!t don't stink in record time.

Answer me this: you've been in Houston for 40 years. Since day 1. What have you done that should concern anyone working at UAL? CAL restructured and then flourished in Houston and SWA didn't really slow it down. You guys need to quit worrying about other airlines and their CEOs. Run your own deal and stfu, ok?

People did call you out Flop. You called out for making BS statements.

If that makes people a-holes, then you are hopeless. Which I think might be the case.

Not worried about UCal in the least. Good luck over there.

Yeah, like the third party that owns the airport. That's what the City wants. If you can't get the job done then they will go recruit other airlines who can. It's not going to matter a bit that you built the thing, you'll be accommodating whatever airline the City tells you to. Read the agreement. I don't know what clicked with the Mayor and HAS, but the grotesque celebration SWA had at the Council meeting might have been it. You guys celebrated like it was over; Like you hit another gravy train and weren't going to have to put in the effort or live up to expectations. The City is quite clear now, this isn't going to be another Love Field.

Flop,

What are you talking about. There was a third party that did an impact report. They came up with some independent number. Gary has NOTHING to do with that. He agreed to provide a number from the SW side for employees...that's it.

How can Gary guarantee anything more than that? You get that, right? He doesn't do hiring for ASIG or HOST. That's their business to run, not Gary's.

What should swa be concerned with after UAL or CAL going into and out of bankruptcy oh I don't know how many times? Maybe they need better CEO's. Take your own advice, leave the SWA guys alone, leave the SWA threads alone, and maybe YOU won't look like the AHole.

Fear.

That's what I smell Flopp, fear. And, based on the history of your airline(s), you have every right to be fearful of how they cannot compete against an unchained SWA.

Flop,

What are you talking about. There was a third party that did an impact report. They came up with some independent number. Gary has NOTHING to do with that. He agreed to provide a number from the SW side for employees...that's it.

How can Gary guarantee anything more than that? You get that, right? He doesn't do hiring for ASIG or HOST. That's their business to run, not Gary's.

You're still not getting it. This isn't going to be about SWA only. The City plans to recruit airlines to Hobby just as enthusiastically as they do for IAH. They want all those numbers. Might have been GK's own admission (re the jobs) that sparked the change? IDK. Just because he doesn't plan to have that kind of total impact doesn't mean the City shouldn't go after it, right? This is a free market, is it not? You think the City doesn't have the right to promote their airport past what SWA's specific plans were?

See, this where you guys start to reveal what you really are. You think the whole thing is over because it's just like Love. Flying the routes and doing the work is secondary to you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back