• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest breaks ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The SWA Agents have told me that the AAI system is like the old system they used to operate. . . . . . . . A couple of FAT Pilots told me that there was no way it could handle the volume.

Oh, well, there you have it, then. :laugh:

The Main system is not what the agents use, or Reservations, or DX, or MX, or Scheduling or Ops. They are all modules that have their own interface and then interact with the Main system through protocol.

I seriously doubt that AAI's "system" wouldn't be able to handle SWA's operation, with some modest server and licensing upgrades, but I don;t know that for certain, unlike your FAT experts. ;)

"Well, except for being able to charge for bags, assign seats, operate 24 hours a day, interface with distribution systems like Orbitz and Sabre, and operate Internationally, it was only marginally better".

Fixed it for you, Red. :D:

Ty,

From a working/programming prospective, Navitaire (similar to the SW in-house res system) was not going to carry us into the future like Amadeus will Ty. As above, similar to a DOS operating system.

Amadeus is the only system that will truly break down charging models, if the company wants to do that (and I think they will). Want to charge more for a certain seat out of certain city on odd dated Wednesdays? Amadeus allows all of it. You get the point. Navitaire didn't bring anything to the party in that regard that was sustainable for the future. Again, not much better than the SW system.

Oh, and SW has never wanted to be apart of the Orbitz/Expedia crowd. I don't see that changing at all. Their goal is to feed everyone to Southwest.com and sell them rental cars, hotels, vacation packages, etc. This part of the SW system has worked out very well.

What is interesting is that come January 1st, we will start taking reservations via Amadeus for international travel on Southwest for travel in June. Domestic will be done on CS2 and Airtran will continue to have that system in place. So for much of 2014, we'll have 3 systems running. From talking to a high level ground ops guy, who is also former AT, there is no date yet for merging CS2 and Amadeus. In other words, Amadeus will be our international system and CS2 will be our domestic. I thought we'd be flipping the switch at some point next year and be 100% Amadeus. From talking to that guy, it's not anytime soon, so I wouldn't be so sure about charging for bags, etc in the near future.

Ty,

From a working/programming prospective, Navitaire (similar to the SW in-house res system) was not going to carry us into the future like Amadeus will Ty. As above, similar to a DOS operating system.

Amadeus is the only system that will truly break down charging models, if the company wants to do that (and I think they will). Want to charge more for a certain seat out of certain city on odd dated Wednesdays? Amadeus allows all of it. You get the point. Navitaire didn't bring anything to the party in that regard that was sustainable for the future. Again, not much better than the SW system.

Oh, and SW has never wanted to be apart of the Orbitz/Expedia crowd. I don't see that changing at all. Their goal is to feed everyone to Southwest.com and sell them rental cars, hotels, vacation packages, etc. This part of the SW system has worked out very well.

SWA is 3 yrs deep..Into the future! Why isn't Amadeus functional at this point??

Ron the answer given to that by Sr. Mgt. was that it is taking that long to modify it to be compatible and interface with WNs back office software. The good news is this project I being done by real professional outside contractors instead of WN IT so it may actually work and be on time.

Latest resources

Back